A Freeview box to adviod

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. A Freeview box to avoid

    Yes the DishTV 1020 one that is sold in most shops.

    Far to many bugs and very bad pixilated most of the time, it cant record
    CH8 as it thinks its CH3 and uses that time settings.

    All recorded Video is DRMed

    Audio Player is missing and they will not be fixing it, seems to me the
    company that sells is it just a Box company as they don't seems to know
    a thing about the bugs, all so listed on Geekzone.

    Just returned my seconds one..

    My 3 TV's and another Set top works 100% with my aerial system, I even
    had my old Boss installed a top rated WISI Phases Array made in Germany.

    Just looked in 2 shops no PVR's and in the past they were only DishTV in
    the other shops..

    Any one know of a PVR box that works that does not cost the earth, ex
    hard drive.

    Frank Williams, Jan 12, 2012

  2. Frank Williams

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Frank Williams <> wrote in

    > Any one know of a PVR box that works that does not cost the earth, ex
    > hard drive.

    I bought a $100 box that was on one-day. It seems to be able to pvr to
    USB, but the EPG is dodgy and doesn't support series link. Model DS-610 by
    Digistar. I have to drive it like an old VCR. Got what I payed for :(
    Cheap.
    I have heard that the Strong brand that used to be sold by Computer
    Dynamics are good.
    I have no experience with the brand though.
    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jan 12, 2012

  3. On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 04:52:18 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote in
    >
    >> Any one know of a PVR box that works that does not cost the earth, ex
    >> hard drive.

    >I bought a $100 box that was on one-day. It seems to be able to pvr to
    >USB, but the EPG is dodgy and doesn't support series link. Model DS-610 by
    >Digistar. I have to drive it like an old VCR. Got what I payed for :(
    >Cheap.

    Cant seen to find much data on it, I do need Full EPG recording with
    series link with adjustable padding to the EPG times, the DishTV had it
    all but to unreliable and low gain tuner.

    Can record 2 CH's and watch a 3rd, it was used to replace a VCR.

    Frank Williams, Jan 12, 2012
  4. Frank Williams

    Enkidu Guest

    On 13/01/12 08:16, Mutlley wrote:
    > Frank Williams<> wrote:
    >

    >> A Freeview box to avoid
    >>

    >> Yes the DishTV 1020 one that is sold in most shops.
    >>

    >> Far to many bugs and very bad pixilated most of the time, it cant
    >> record CH8 as it thinks its CH3 and uses that time settings.
    >>
    >> All recorded Video is DRMed
    >>
    >> Audio Player is missing and they will not be fixing it, seems to me
    >> the company that sells is it just a Box company as they don't seems
    >> to know a thing about the bugs, all so listed on Geekzone.
    >>

    >> Just returned my seconds one..
    >>

    >> My 3 TV's and another Set top works 100% with my aerial system, I
    >> even had my old Boss installed a top rated WISI Phases Array made
    >> in Germany.
    >>
    >> Just looked in 2 shops no PVR's and in the past they were only
    >> DishTV in the other shops..
    >>
    >> Any one know of a PVR box that works that does not cost the earth,
    >> ex hard drive.
    >>

    > A friend of mine bought a Dish STB. She's real cheap and bought the
    > cheapest one she could because the sale droid at HN told her that
    > analog Tv was being turned off and she wouldn't have any TV. He
    > omitted to tell her that it wasn't until the end of 2013.

    Isn't it July this year now? The switchover was going so well that they
    brought it forward. Hmm, it looks like I was wrong, and though it starts
    this year in September the analog switch off doesn't hit Auckland until
    late 2013!

    http://www.goingdigital.co.nz/coverage-areas.html?gclid=CISLsK6py60CFY-FpAodi1shiw

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jan 12, 2012
  5. On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 08:16:25 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >

    >>A Freeview box to avoid
    >>

    >>Yes the DishTV 1020 one that is sold in most shops.
    >>

    >>Far to many bugs and very bad pixilated most of the time, it cant record
    >>CH8 as it thinks its CH3 and uses that time settings.
    >>
    >>All recorded Video is DRMed
    >>
    >>Audio Player is missing and they will not be fixing it, seems to me the
    >>company that sells is it just a Box company as they don't seems to know
    >>a thing about the bugs, all so listed on Geekzone.
    >>

    >>Just returned my seconds one..
    >>

    >>My 3 TV's and another Set top works 100% with my aerial system, I even
    >>had my old Boss installed a top rated WISI Phases Array made in Germany.
    >>
    >>Just looked in 2 shops no PVR's and in the past they were only DishTV in
    >>the other shops..
    >>
    >>Any one know of a PVR box that works that does not cost the earth, ex
    >>hard drive.
    >>

    >A friend of mine bought a Dish STB. She's real cheap and bought the
    >cheapest one she could because the sale droid at HN told her that
    >analog Tv was being turned off and she wouldn't have any TV. He
    >omitted to tell her that it wasn't until the end of 2013.
    >
    >Now she is having problems with sound and no picture intermittently
    >when changing channels . A power cycle fixes it.
    >
    >Now she is getting a message about a software update so here's
    >hopping that this fixes her problem..

    This is the Box I am on about Total Crap..

    The software update was back in Dec.

    Take is Back..

    From a Distributor I was told yesterday there are NO Decent boxed out
    there as they are just cheap Chinese one, not real brand names..

    Frank Williams, Jan 12, 2012
  6. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mutlley wrote:
    > Enkidu <cliffp@bogus> wrote:

    >>> A friend of mine bought a Dish STB. She's real cheap and bought the
    >>> cheapest one she could because the sale droid at HN told her that
    >>> analog Tv was being turned off and she wouldn't have any TV. He
    >>> omitted to tell her that it wasn't until the end of 2013.
    >>>

    >> Isn't it July this year now? The switchover was going so well that
    >> they brought it forward. Hmm, it looks like I was wrong, and though
    >> it starts this year in September the analog switch off doesn't hit
    >> Auckland until late 2013!
    >>
    >> http://www.goingdigital.co.nz/coverage-areas.html?gclid=CISLsK6py60CFY-FpAodi1shiw
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff

    > I live in AKL so it's the end of 2013. I thinks Hawkes Bay is first
    > to go July this year..

    Thank the gods! Maybe I'll have time to create some breathing space on a
    credit card by then. <cough.bullshit.cough>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Jan 13, 2012
  7. On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:03:47 +1300, Mutlley <>
    wrote:

    >Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 08:16:25 +1300, Mutlley <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>A friend of mine bought a Dish STB. She's real cheap and bought the
    >>>cheapest one she could because the sale droid at HN told her that
    >>>analog Tv was being turned off and she wouldn't have any TV. He
    >>>omitted to tell her that it wasn't until the end of 2013.
    >>>
    >>>Now she is having problems with sound and no picture intermittently
    >>>when changing channels . A power cycle fixes it.
    >>>
    >>>Now she is getting a message about a software update so here's
    >>>hopping that this fixes her problem..

    >>This is the Box I am on about Total Crap..
    >>

    >>The software update was back in Dec.
    >>
    >>Take is Back..
    >>
    >>From a Distributor I was told yesterday there are NO Decent boxed out
    >>there as they are just cheap Chinese one, not real brand names..

    >I bought a non Freeview certified Hyundai box and it's been rock
    >solid..

    PVR ?

    Some STB work great if you live next door to the Transmitter, I wonder
    why NZ went and used UHF for a country so full of mountains, mind you
    the UK started that way but with the New DVB-T2 its gone to VHF for
    better coverage.

    Not sold here any more, DSE seems to have dropped STB's

    Frank Williams, Jan 13, 2012
  8. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 1/13/2012 5:24 PM, Frank Williams wrote:

    > Some STB work great if you live next door to the Transmitter, I wonder
    > why NZ went and used UHF for a country so full of mountains, mind you
    > the UK started that way but with the New DVB-T2 its gone to VHF for
    > better coverage.
    >
    > Not sold here any more, DSE seems to have dropped STB's

    7 vs 8 MHz? Makes a decent extra amount of bandwidth on each carrier.

    Richard, Jan 14, 2012
  9. On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:26:26 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >On 1/13/2012 5:24 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
    >

    >> Some STB work great if you live next door to the Transmitter, I wonder
    >> why NZ went and used UHF for a country so full of mountains, mind you
    >> the UK started that way but with the New DVB-T2 its gone to VHF for
    >> better coverage.
    >>
    >> Not sold here any more, DSE seems to have dropped STB's

    >7 vs 8 MHz? Makes a decent extra amount of bandwidth on each carrier.

    What are you trying to state NZ use 8Mhz spacing..

    Frank Williams, Jan 15, 2012