    curious as to why this happens. After all data written on previous
    computer's was readable up to now
    The ones that have been formatted and used since the reinstall are ok

    Trev, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Trev

    Rob K Guest

    Trev wrote :
    > I have just discovered that all my floppy's written before a clean reinstall
    > of XP are un readable.

    <snip>

    FWIW: I think that floppy drives in general, due to their low cost, are
    susceptible to 'errors' in read/write head alignment.

    If I need to use a floppy, I format it on the "target" machine, the
    machine that reads the data. Sometimes I find that the 'source' machine
    has problems writing to the floppy.

    Of course the quality of the floppy itself is another key factor.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Trev

    Unk Guest

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:38:33 +0100, "Trev" <trevbowdenATwireless.pipexDOTnet>
    wrote:

    >I have just discovered that all my floppy's written before a clean reinstall
    >of XP are un readable. It tells me there not formatted and would I like to
    >format then now.
    >
    >Though I can get the date of them with bad copy. Format then write back. I'm
    >curious as to why this happens. After all data written on previous
    >computer's was readable up to now
    >The ones that have been formatted and used since the reinstall are ok

    Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140060

    Floppy Disk Formats That Are Supported in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309623

    Unk, Jun 9, 2004
  4. I completely agree, the floppy failure may only be coincidental with the XP
    reinstall. At work, we were plagued with problems with floppies until we
    replaced all of the Mistumi (Mitsui?) drives with Teac ones and then
    everything worked reliably again. It seems to have just been a hardware
    issue. Of course, none of the Mitsumi formatted disks will read on the
    Teacs.

    T.J.

    T.J. Johnston, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Trev

    Saddles Guest

    Suspect it's an XP thing. Incidence rose sharply in my neck of the woods
    after installing XP on 10 computers. If you want to try recovering files on
    such floppies, you can give this a shot.
    http://www.brothersoft.com/Utilities_Miscellaneous_Floppy_Diskfix_26675.html
    So far I tried it on two such floppies. One worked. That 50% success rate
    :)

    Saddles, Jun 9, 2004
  6. Trev

    Trev Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 22:38:33 +0100, "Trev"

    <trevbowdenATwireless.pipexDOTnet>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have just discovered that all my floppy's written before a clean

    reinstall
    > >of XP are un readable. It tells me there not formatted and would I like

    > >format then now.
    > >
    > >Though I can get the date of them with bad copy. Format then write back.

    I'm
    > >curious as to why this happens. After all data written on previous
    > >computer's was readable up to now
    > >The ones that have been formatted and used since the reinstall are ok
    > >

    > Floppy Disk is Not Accessible, Not Formatted, or Not Recognized by Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140060

    That summed it up.
    But I was not accurate in my description because as I started to rescue the
    floppy's I found that it was only the first 6 that I had checked the rest
    where fine

    Trev, Jun 9, 2004
  7. Trev

    Plato Guest

    Trev wrote:

    > That summed it up.
    > But I was not accurate in my description because as I started to rescue the
    > floppy's I found that it was only the first 6 that I had checked the rest
    > where fine

    My buddy had a floppy problem. So he went to his doctor and he gave him
    some free "stiffy" pills to try out.

    Plato, Jun 9, 2004
  8. Trev

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Trev wrote:
    >>
    >> That summed it up.
    >> But I was not accurate in my description because as I started to
    >> rescue the floppy's I found that it was only the first 6 that I had
    >> checked the rest where fine

    > My buddy had a floppy problem. So he went to his doctor and he gave
    > him some free "stiffy" pills to try out.

    I was wondering when that was gonna show up ;o)

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    Toolman Tim, Jun 10, 2004
  9. Trev

    Bryan Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Plato wrote:
    >> Trev wrote:
    >>>
    >>> That summed it up.
    >>> But I was not accurate in my description because as I started to
    >>> rescue the floppy's I found that it was only the first 6 that I had
    >>> checked the rest where fine

    >> My buddy had a floppy problem. So he went to his doctor and he gave
    >> him some free "stiffy" pills to try out.

    > I was wondering when that was gonna show up ;o)

    Said the actress to ....
    ;)

    Bryan, Jun 10, 2004