    being first generation. Is the Minolta a poor example of a film scanner or
    am I expecting too much of a 2820 dpi scanner?

    John

    Eatmorepies, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Eatmorepies

    Ron Andrews Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    news:c6mdnv$di5f7$-berlin.de...
    > I borrowed a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II today. I scanned various

    negatives,
    > B&W and colour. The results on resolutions from 705 to 2820 dpi don't look
    > very good.
    >
    > So I scanned a negative and its print. The print was scanned on a cheap
    > flatbed, an HP 2300C - the print shows more detail at 300 dpi than the
    > negative at 2820 dpi (the print is 6" wide so 300 dpi is poorer resolution
    > than 2820dpi). The colour from the print was better too, but I could

    adjust
    > this in Photoshop or somesuch.
    >
    > The negative was from a cheap 100 ISO film (Jessops?) and the print was

    made
    > by a high street photoshop (Jessops).
    >
    > I imagined that the negative would give me more detail than the print - it
    > being first generation. Is the Minolta a poor example of a film scanner or
    > am I expecting too much of a 2820 dpi scanner?
    >
    > John

    I'm getting great results from my Minolta Dimage Scan Elite. If you are
    getting images from a film scanner at 2820 ppi that are less sharp than
    scanning a 4x6 print at 300 ppi, then there is a problem with the film
    scanner. Is there a focus problem? Is the film backwards in the holder? Is
    the film curved? Something in the setup is not right.

    Ron Andrews, Apr 28, 2004