    you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?
    DeanB, Mar 20, 2007

  2. DeanB

    Jim Guest

    "DeanB" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really elaborated
    > on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could help me out here: Do
    > you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    > mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    > someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?

    First question: One or the other but not both. I let PS manage color
    because I want all of this to be one program's business
    Second question: Study Real World Color Management by Bruce Fraser et. al.
    Also consult www.computer_darkroom.com (need to verify if the name uses an
    underscore or a hyphen).

    Jim
    Jim, Mar 20, 2007

  3. DeanB

    Karl Winkler Guest

    On Mar 20, 7:51 am, "DeanB" <> wrote:
    > Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really elaborated
    > on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could help me out here: Do
    > you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    > mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    > someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?

    I let PS manage colors. I have an R1800 and the manual actually points
    this out.

    -Karl
    Karl Winkler, Mar 20, 2007
  4. "Jim" <> wrote in

    > "DeanB" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really
    >> elaborated on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could
    >> help me out here: Do you allow photoshop or the printer to
    >> manage colors? What does that mean? Assuming this is for an
    >> Epson 4800, which one is best? Could someone add a paragraph on
    >> this here as an introduction?
    >>

    > First question: One or the other but not both. I let PS manage
    > color because I want all of this to be one program's business
    > Second question: Study Real World Color Management by Bruce
    > Fraser et. al. Also consult www.computer_darkroom.com (need to
    > verify if the name uses an underscore or a hyphen).

    Hyphen.

    --
    "What is the first law?"
    "To Protect."

    Terry Austin
    No 33 Secretary, Mar 20, 2007
  5. DeanB

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    DeanB <> wrote:

    > Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really elaborated
    > on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could help me out here: Do
    > you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    > mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    > someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?

    You let Photoshop manage colors, and make sure that color management is
    turned off in the print settings dialog for the printer.

    BUT - for this to do any good, you need a calibrated monitor, .icc
    profiles for the paper/ink combination you are using, and a working
    knowledge of color management. I suggest further reading. :^)

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Mar 20, 2007
  6. DeanB

    Colin_D Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really elaborated
    > on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could help me out here: Do
    > you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    > mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    > someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?

    Just to show the other side, I turn off all color management in
    Photoshop. I don't print from PS, I use Qimage, a specialized printing
    program, and let it manage the printing profile via the printer.

    However, the major no-no is to have PS *and* the printer both managing
    the color. Pure disaster.

    Colin D.

    Colin_D, Mar 21, 2007
  7. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Mar 20, 11:19 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > DeanB <> wrote:
    > > Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really elaborated
    > > on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could help me out here: Do
    > > you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    > > mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    > > someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?

    > You let Photoshop manage colors, and make sure that color management is
    > turned off in the print settings dialog for the printer.
    >
    > BUT - for this to do any good, you need a calibrated monitor, .icc
    > profiles for the paper/ink combination you are using, and a working
    > knowledge of color management. I suggest further reading. :^)
    >
    > --
    > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
    > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
    > independence.
    > -- Charles A. Beard

    Ok this makes sort of sense but I have one more question - what does
    it mean to adjust the colors using the printer? I have not got my
    printer yet so I assume it has some kind of graphics package that
    allows editing and changing of a photo's color. Is this correct?
    DeanB, Mar 21, 2007
  8. DeanB

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    DeanB <> wrote:

    > On Mar 20, 11:19 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > >
    > > DeanB <> wrote:
    > > > Hello all, I have a big-picture question that isn't really elaborated
    > > > on in the manual, and I was hoping someone could help me out here: Do
    > > > you allow photoshop or the printer to manage colors? What does that
    > > > mean? Assuming this is for an Epson 4800, which one is best? Could
    > > > someone add a paragraph on this here as an introduction?

    > > You let Photoshop manage colors, and make sure that color management is
    > > turned off in the print settings dialog for the printer.
    > >
    > > BUT - for this to do any good, you need a calibrated monitor, .icc
    > > profiles for the paper/ink combination you are using, and a working
    > > knowledge of color management. I suggest further reading. :^)
    > >
    > > --
    > > You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
    > > reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
    > > the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
    > > independence.
    > > -- Charles A. Beard

    > Ok this makes sort of sense but I have one more question - what does
    > it mean to adjust the colors using the printer? I have not got my
    > printer yet so I assume it has some kind of graphics package that
    > allows editing and changing of a photo's color. Is this correct?

    The print setting dialog box will have options for "Color Controls"
    (which allows you to set various hue/saturation settings manually),
    "Color Sync" (which lets OS X's color sync mamagement do the job, or
    "Off (no color management)" which ass/u/mes that the data going to the
    printer is supposed to be taked as is, with no adjustment - this is
    where you let Photoshop manage *exactly* the colors. Again, this only
    works best if you have calibrated your monitor using something like
    Spyder2 Pro, etc.

    As another poster pointed out, make SURE that you don't allow BOTH the
    printer *and* Photoshop to try to managage colors, unless you want
    everything coming out looking like a clown suit.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Mar 21, 2007