    Lastly, I plan on doing self study(not going to take any classes) through
    books and virtual machines. Does anyone prefer the Microsoft self paced
    books over 3rd party books, or does it all come down to personal perference?

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=, May 14, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    John R Guest

    "Bourne" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an MCSA on Windows 2000. I want to get my MCSE on Windows 2003.
    > Based on where I am at, is there an value/purpose to completing MCSE on
    > Win2k
    > and then upgrading to 2003, or should I just go straight to 2003? From
    > the
    > looks of it, I'd have to take about the same number of exams.
    >
    > If I go straight to 2003, I can take exam 70-292 in place of 290 and 291.
    > Is taking 292 the recommended way to go? Is there anything to be gained
    > by
    > taking 290 and 291?
    >
    > Lastly, I plan on doing self study(not going to take any classes) through
    > books and virtual machines. Does anyone prefer the Microsoft self paced
    > books over 3rd party books, or does it all come down to personal
    > perference?

    It should not surprise you that someone here will say, Do you think you will
    be designing 2000 based networks in the future. If you feel the answer to
    your question is yes, then by all means, it would be very smart of you to go
    after MCSE 2000 first, and then take the two upgrade tests. My company
    recently converted from an NT domain to 2003. It is not too far fetched to
    believe that some companies out there are still looking for 2000 skills.

    That being said, the actual process of upgrading a domain from 2000 to 2003
    is pretty painless, and I could see where some employers would consider
    going to 2003 if they could get 2003 trained people.

    Now, back to the tests. Some people believe that the upgrade tests like
    70-292 and 70-296 are actually harder. The reason they seem harder, IMHO,
    is that 292 is really a combination of 290 and 291, so you have twice as
    much material to be up on at the time of the tests. Microsoft may also
    cherry pick questions for the 292 test. This was hinted at during a recent
    webcast meeting. There is certainly no shame in taking 290 and 291 instead
    of 292. The real problem with it is that you pay two test fees, but you
    only have to deal with the subject matter at hand for each test. For some,
    this might be preferable. If you really are on top of 2003, it won't matter
    because you'll already have a good foundation for 292. Again, it all gets
    back to you, the candidate. (You can make the same story for 296 vrs 293
    and 294).

    Personally, I prefer the Microsoft Press books. I have found them to be a
    great compliment to my personal experience, and the practice tests come in
    two flavors. One flavor covers just the material presented in the book.
    The other flavor covers the actual test objectives in whole, even those
    items that weren't covered in the book. So, you can gage if you need to
    read more, or seek more training elsewhere. They worked great for me.
    Understand however, that no single training source, be it a book, a class,
    experience, a video, whatever, is going to prepare you 100% for anything.
    Experience is certainly the master, and all of the other items are
    supplemental.

    One other note. All of the 2000 tests will retire in March/2008, including
    the upgrade tests 292 and 296. So, if you are thinking about going the
    upgrade path, keep that in mind.

    Good luck to you in whatever road you choose.

    John R.

    John R, May 14, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    John R Guest

    > That being said, the actual process of upgrading a domain from 2000 to
    > 2003 is pretty painless, and I could see where some employers would
    > consider going to 2003 if they could get 2003 trained people.

    Obviously, that last sentence should say "going to 2003 if they could not
    get 2000 trained people".
    Sorry for the typo.

    John R, May 14, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    John R Guest

    > "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> That being said, the actual process of upgrading a domain from 2000 to
    >> 2003 is pretty painless, and I could see where some employers would
    >> consider going to 2003 if they could get 2003 trained people.
    >>

    > Obviously, that last sentence should say "going to 2003 if they could not
    > get 2000 trained people".
    > Sorry for the typo.

    Actually, it works both ways. My eyes are crossed tonight :)

    John R, May 14, 2007
  5. Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], May 14, 2007
  6. "John R" wrote:

    > Good luck to you in whatever road you choose.
    >
    > John R.

    Thanks for the well thought out reply. It is very helpful. You touched on
    my exact concern with the 292 exam. I've heard that a combo exam can be
    harder. I'll look more deeply at the objectives for 292 and go from there.

    I agree, experience is the key. Which is why I plan on using virtual
    machines to help me study(as well as work experience). When I did my MCSA I
    used all 3rd party books, I was looking for an opinion on the Microsoft
    books. Thanks for your feedback!

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=, May 14, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Rich G Guest

    "Bourne" <> wrote in message

    > "John R" wrote:
    >

    >> Good luck to you in whatever road you choose.
    >>
    >> John R.
    >>

    > Thanks for the well thought out reply. It is very helpful. You touched
    > on
    > my exact concern with the 292 exam. I've heard that a combo exam can be
    > harder. I'll look more deeply at the objectives for 292 and go from
    > there.
    >
    > I agree, experience is the key. Which is why I plan on using virtual
    > machines to help me study(as well as work experience). When I did my MCSA
    > used all 3rd party books, I was looking for an opinion on the Microsoft
    > books. Thanks for your feedback!

    I have just got back from the test centre a couple of hours ago after taking
    70-292.

    There's definitely something odd about this exam. As I was doing it I
    thought it was ok with only about 4 questions I wasn't 100% sure about. Then
    I get the result. 700. How close is that!!!

    I have taken 8 other exam and am my worse score before this one was 813 and
    that was in 1997 for Windows 95 when I had a lot less experience than now !!

    I studied very hard for 70-292 because I'd heard the warning and didn't want
    to fail ( I don't take failure well ) and felt I was well prepared.

    Oh well, a pass is a pass and on to finishing MCSE 2000 and MCSE 2003. Two
    more exams required.

    To the OP, I started off during W2000 with the intention of getting both
    W2000 MCSE + W2003 MCSE. I thought it looks better to have both, and once
    you get W2000 MCSA and MCSE, it's two exams for W2003 MCSA + W2003 MCSE.
    Also if you've been doing Windows a while you would probably have experience
    in both. Also if select your options carefully you can come out with several
    major certifications.

    My path so far

    70-215 (W2000 Server)
    70-210 (W2000 Pro)
    70-218 (W2000 Network Environment)
    70-216(W2000 Network Infrastructure)
    --- MCSA W2000 achieved (Time for a change)---
    70-228 (SQL 2000 Design)
    70-229 (SQL 2000 Admin)
    --- MCDBA 2000 achieved)
    70-217 (W2000 Directory Services)
    70-292 (MCSA Upgrade)
    --- MCSA 2003 achieved

    Now thinking of doing Designing W2003 Security to complete MCSE 2000 + allow
    for one more exam for MCSE Security. Then MCSE 2003 70-296 to give MCSE
    2003.

    It's been a long path so far and it's still not over but close to big goals.

    Hope this gives you some inspiration on what path to take !

    Richard

    Rich G, May 14, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Hey Rich,

    I also scored a 700 on that exam when I took it... and to the best of my
    knowledge I do not remember anyone telling me they got another score. It's
    weird, but I know a lot of people who got the same 700! Too bad MSL won't
    talk about it.

    Congrats anyhow!

    Montreal MCT, May 14, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Scott Guest

    John R wrote:
> [...]

    > great compliment to my personal experience, and the practice tests come in
    > two flavors. One flavor covers just the material presented in the book.
    > The other flavor covers the actual test objectives in whole, even those
    > items that weren't covered in the book. So, you can gage if you need to
    > read more, or seek more training elsewhere. They worked great for me.
    > Understand however, that no single training source, be it a book, a class,
    > experience, a video, whatever, is going to prepare you 100% for anything.
    > Experience is certainly the master, and all of the other items are
    > supplemental.
    >
    > One other note. All of the 2000 tests will retire in March/2008, including
    > the upgrade tests 292 and 296. So, if you are thinking about going the
    > upgrade path, keep that in mind.
    >
    > Good luck to you in whatever road you choose.

    It doesn't make sense that the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296 are being
    retire. From their web site:

    These titles are focused on technologies no longer supported by
    Microsoft mainstream support and include part of the MCSA and MCSE
    tracks for Windows Server 2000 and the MCSA and MCSE upgrade paths from
    Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003.

    Windows Server 2003 is still supported so why retire these 2 exams.

    -ss

    Scott, May 14, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    John R Guest

    "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message
    > Hey Rich,
    >
    > I also scored a 700 on that exam when I took it... and to the best of my
    > knowledge I do not remember anyone telling me they got another score.
    > It's weird, but I know a lot of people who got the same 700! Too bad MSL
    > won't talk about it.
    >
    > Congrats anyhow!

    It is my understanding that upgrade tests are pass/fail only, they are not
    scored.
    It may be that the 700 is Microsoft's way of indicating pass.

    John

    John R, May 14, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    John R Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message

    > It doesn't make sense that the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296 are being
    > retire. From their web site:
    >
    > These titles are focused on technologies no longer supported by Microsoft
    > mainstream support and include part of the MCSA and MCSE tracks for
    > Windows Server 2000 and the MCSA and MCSE upgrade paths from Windows
    > Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003.
    >
    > Windows Server 2003 is still supported so why retire these 2 exams.
    >
    > -ss

    I agree completely Scott.

    I assume you got that quote from this page, but here it is for anyone else
    interested...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx

    John

    John R, May 14, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Rich G Guest

    > "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey Rich,
    >>
    >> I also scored a 700 on that exam when I took it... and to the best of my
    >> knowledge I do not remember anyone telling me they got another score.
    >> It's weird, but I know a lot of people who got the same 700! Too bad MSL
    >> won't talk about it.
    >>
    >> Congrats anyhow!
    >>

    > It is my understanding that upgrade tests are pass/fail only, they are not
    > scored.
    > It may be that the 700 is Microsoft's way of indicating pass.

    It is definitely weird. When I nervously pressed the End Exam button it came
    up with the standard "Congratulations ! You have passed" screen. There was
    no score displayed. But when I picked up the transcript it appeared as a
    'normal' Score Report, indicating the score and the sectional result
    headings. It did not have any bars however, to show how I'd done on each
    section eventhough it still had the 'Needs Development/Strong headings.

    Richard

    Rich G, May 14, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    John R piffled away vaguely:

    > "Scott" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It doesn't make sense that the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296 are being
    >> retire. From their web site:
    >>
    >> These titles are focused on technologies no longer supported by Microsoft
    >> mainstream support and include part of the MCSA and MCSE tracks for
    >> Windows Server 2000 and the MCSA and MCSE upgrade paths from Windows
    >> Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003.
    >>
    >> Windows Server 2003 is still supported so why retire these 2 exams.
    >>
    >> -ss

    > I agree completely Scott.
    >
    > I assume you got that quote from this page, but here it is for anyone else
    > interested...
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx
    >
    > John

    The wording is, I agree, confusing. The reason the retire the upgrade
    exams is because they will stop supporting Windows 2000 technologies,
    not because they'll stop supporting Windows 2003 server technologies.
    The upgrade exams are always available only for a limited time and they
    retire with the exam path you are upgrading from. There was and still
    is plenty of time to upgrade if you are going to do it.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, May 14, 2007
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    John R piffled away vaguely:

    > "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey Rich,
    >>
    >> I also scored a 700 on that exam when I took it... and to the best of my
    >> knowledge I do not remember anyone telling me they got another score.
    >> It's weird, but I know a lot of people who got the same 700! Too bad MSL
    >> won't talk about it.
    >>
    >> Congrats anyhow!
    >>

    > It is my understanding that upgrade tests are pass/fail only, they are not
    > scored.
    > It may be that the 700 is Microsoft's way of indicating pass.
    >
    > John

    That's sound reasoning. I, for one, would be interested in knowing if
    anyone can confirm that.

    catwalker63, May 14, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Scott Guest

    catwalker63 wrote:
    > John R piffled away vaguely:
    >
    >> "Scott" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> It doesn't make sense that the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296 are being
    >>> retire. From their web site:
    >>>
    >>> These titles are focused on technologies no longer supported by Microsoft
    >>> mainstream support and include part of the MCSA and MCSE tracks for
    >>> Windows Server 2000 and the MCSA and MCSE upgrade paths from Windows
    >>> Server 2000 to Windows Server 2003.
    >>>
    >>> Windows Server 2003 is still supported so why retire these 2 exams.
    >>>
    >>> -ss

    >> I agree completely Scott.
    >>
    >> I assume you got that quote from this page, but here it is for anyone else
    >> interested...
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > The wording is, I agree, confusing. The reason the retire the upgrade
    > exams is because they will stop supporting Windows 2000 technologies,
    > not because they'll stop supporting Windows 2003 server technologies.
    > The upgrade exams are always available only for a limited time and they
    > retire with the exam path you are upgrading from. There was and still
    > is plenty of time to upgrade if you are going to do it.

    I was going to pursue MCSA 2000:Security by taking 70-214 but now I
    might as well take 70-292 before it's retire then go for MCSA
    2003:Security. But 1st I have to pass 70-218 (which I'm taking this Wed)
    to archive MCSA 2000.

    Scott, May 14, 2007
  16. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Rich G Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > catwalker63 wrote:
    >> John R piffled away vaguely:
    >>
    >>> "Scott" <> wrote in message

    >>> I agree completely Scott.
    >>>
    >>> I assume you got that quote from this page, but here it is for anyone
    >>> else interested...
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/status/examstoretire.mspx
    >>>
    >>> John

    >> The wording is, I agree, confusing. The reason the retire the upgrade
    >> exams is because they will stop supporting Windows 2000 technologies,
    >> not because they'll stop supporting Windows 2003 server technologies. The
    >> upgrade exams are always available only for a limited time and they
    >> retire with the exam path you are upgrading from. There was and still
    >> is plenty of time to upgrade if you are going to do it.

    > I was going to pursue MCSA 2000:Security by taking 70-214 but now I might
    > as well take 70-292 before it's retire then go for MCSA 2003:Security. But
    > 1st I have to pass 70-218 (which I'm taking this Wed) to archive MCSA
    > 2000.

    If it makes any difference I found 70-218 the easiest exam by far.

    Good luck !

    Rich

    Rich G, May 14, 2007
  17. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    Scott piffled away vaguely:

    > I was going to pursue MCSA 2000:Security by taking 70-214 but now I
    > might as well take 70-292 before it's retire then go for MCSA
    > 2003:Security. But 1st I have to pass 70-218 (which I'm taking this Wed)
    > to archive MCSA 2000.

    Good grief. THE 2000 EXAMS DO NOT RETIRE UNTIL NEXT YEAR. That
    includes 214 and 292. Get to work and you should have plenty of time to
    do both.

    catwalker63, May 14, 2007
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    John R Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > John R piffled away vaguely:
    >

    >> It is my understanding that upgrade tests are pass/fail only, they are
    >> not
    >> scored.
    >> It may be that the 700 is Microsoft's way of indicating pass.
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > That's sound reasoning. I, for one, would be interested in knowing if
    > anyone can confirm that.
    > --

    Here is a little bit more info. Check out the next to the last question...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/procedures.mspx

    John R, May 14, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Scott Guest

    catwalker63 wrote:
    > Scott piffled away vaguely:
    >
    >> I was going to pursue MCSA 2000:Security by taking 70-214 but now I
    >> might as well take 70-292 before it's retire then go for MCSA
    >> 2003:Security. But 1st I have to pass 70-218 (which I'm taking this Wed)
    >> to archive MCSA 2000.

    > Good grief. THE 2000 EXAMS DO NOT RETIRE UNTIL NEXT YEAR. That
    > includes 214 and 292. Get to work and you should have plenty of time to
    > do both.

    I would but I'm also studying for linux+, security+, and CIW Server Admin.

    Scott, May 14, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Qm91cm5l?=

    Scott Guest

    > If it makes any difference I found 70-218 the easiest exam by far.
    >
    > Good luck !
    >
    > Rich

    I thought since 70-218 is the 2000 equivalent of 70-291 (AKA the beast)
    that it'll be the other way around.

    Scott, May 14, 2007