A favour please from those with strong AV

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by EricP, May 13, 2005.

  1. EricP

    EricP Guest

    Going to get the latest mIRC client I went here:

    http://www.mirc.com/get.html

    and did the direct install rather than the download/install.

    Kaspersky screeched at the last lap and said that mirc.exe has this

    "not-a-virus:RiskWare.mIRC.6.16"

    in it. Looking at the virus library, this seems to be a real threat,
    despite the very badly worded name. :((

    Can someone with up to date AV try the download and see if they find
    anything. Any download site will do as the thing seems in all of them.

    Either someone has compromised a lot of secure sites or I start to
    distrust Kaspersky.

    Cheers
    EricP, May 13, 2005

  2. EricP

    °Mike° Guest

    It is NOT a virus -- the clue is in the name.

    Kaspersky is warning you because it is software that
    poses a real threat to your computer's security.

    http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?chapter=152540533#irc

    <Quote>

    IRC Clients
    These utilities provide access to IRC channels. Many IRC clients, especially
    mIRC, incorporate powerful script languages which automate the IRC client. This
    functionality can be exploited to write Trojans and IRC worms. When installing a
    Trojan IRC program on a victim machine, hackers will often also surreptitiously
    install an IRC client as well.

    <Unquote>

    In <>,
    EricP took 21 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 13, 2005

  3. EricP

    ellis_jay Guest

    EricP wrote:
    > Going to get the latest mIRC client I went here:
    >
    > http://www.mirc.com/get.html

    > Can someone with up to date AV try the download and see if they find
    > anything. Any download site will do as the thing seems in all of them.

    Can someone test this pistol to see if it is ok to play a Russian game with
    it in my den?

    --
    He released government from the restraint of law.
    ____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, May 13, 2005
  4. EricP

    Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:31:51 -0500, "ellis_jay"
    <> wrote:

    |>EricP wrote:
    |>> Going to get the latest mIRC client I went here:
    |>>
    |>> http://www.mirc.com/get.html

    |>> Can someone with up to date AV try the download and see if they find
    |>> anything. Any download site will do as the thing seems in all of them.

    |>Can someone test this pistol to see if it is ok to play a Russian game with
    |>it in my den?

    9 mm pistol?

    "Man shot three times while cleaning gun"
    http://tinyurl.com/daw89 should work just fine.

    --
    , May 13, 2005
  5. EricP

    Dave Lear Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >> Can someone test this pistol to see if it is ok to play a Russian game
    >> with it in my den?

    > 9 mm pistol?

    Uzi think he is, asking questions like that?
    Dave Lear, May 13, 2005
  6. EricP

    bigjon Guest

    decided to add:

    > On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:31:51 -0500, "ellis_jay"
    > <> wrote:

    >|>Can someone test this pistol to see if it is ok to play a Russian game with
    >|>it in my den?
    >
    > 9 mm pistol?
    >
    > "Man shot three times while cleaning gun"
    > http://tinyurl.com/daw89 should work just fine.

    Cedartown sounds like a fun place to live...
    bigjon, May 13, 2005
  7. EricP

    ellis_jay Guest

    bigjon wrote:
    > decided to add:

    >> 9 mm pistol?
    >>
    >> "Man shot three times while cleaning gun"
    >> http://tinyurl.com/daw89 should work just fine.

    > Cedartown sounds like a fun place to live...

    Actually it is. We scoot over the line to buy lottery tickets there. My son
    dates a gal there. Some of the best fishing anywhere is not to far from
    there. Small world.

    ellis_jay, May 13, 2005