A Fatal Exception

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phyllis, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    Hi,

    I use Windows 98 and my problem first devloped over the weekend. When I go
    to shutdown the computer, I get a blue screen that says:

    A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:FF03A1DA in VXD uhcd (01)
    +000004BA: The current application will be terminated.

    I get this error everytime and what this entails is, my screen goes blue
    with message above. It says ctrl, alt, delete or press any key. Of course
    when I choose ctrl, alt, delete it reboots back up. If I hit any key my
    screen goes black with dots. The only way to turn off the computer is by
    the power cord at the wall. Needless to say, since it has been shut down
    improperly my c: drive gets scanned when I turn it back on. I'm afraid
    these occurence in time will really corrupt other things and I'll have big
    problems unless I can get a remedy to my problem. Can anyone help me with
    this?

    TIA,
    Phyllis
    Phyllis, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Phyllis wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use Windows 98 and my problem first devloped over the weekend.
    > When I go to shutdown the computer, I get a blue screen that says:
    >
    > A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:FF03A1DA in VXD uhcd (01)
    > +000004BA: The current application will be terminated.
    >
    > I get this error everytime and what this entails is, my screen goes
    > blue with message above. It says ctrl, alt, delete or press any key.
    > Of course when I choose ctrl, alt, delete it reboots back up. If I
    > hit any key my screen goes black with dots. The only way to turn off
    > the computer is by the power cord at the wall. Needless to say,
    > since it has been shut down improperly my c: drive gets scanned when
    > I turn it back on. I'm afraid these occurence in time will really
    > corrupt other things and I'll have big problems unless I can get a
    > remedy to my problem. Can anyone help me with this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Phyllis

    The 'VXD UHCD' in the error indicates a USB driver problem. Do you have
    any USB devices connected to the computer? The system may need an
    updated driver, but more info on the system (make, model, etc.) is
    needed.

    --
    God's Final Message to His Creation:
    "We apologize for the inconvenience."
    ICee, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    Yes! Thank you for responding. I used an old program which I had not been
    using for more than a year. It has USB and I plugged it in this weekend to
    work with it. It's the Dazzle program. I know Pinnacle just purchased
    Dazzle and I really don't thing they even support my version. I would need
    to upgrade which I don't plan on doing because I paid so much for this one
    and it works fine. If I unplug the USB from the back of the computer before
    shutting down, will this eliminate my fatal error?

    Thanks again :)

    Phyllis, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Phyllis wrote:
    > Yes! Thank you for responding. I used an old program which I had not
    > been using for more than a year. It has USB and I plugged it in this
    > weekend to work with it. It's the Dazzle program. I know Pinnacle
    > just purchased Dazzle and I really don't thing they even support my
    > version. I would need to upgrade which I don't plan on doing because
    > I paid so much for this one and it works fine. If I unplug the USB
    > from the back of the computer before shutting down, will this
    > eliminate my fatal error?
    >
    > Thanks again :)

    I'm not sure how Win98 handles removing USB devices while the system is
    on, although it is supposed to be plug and pray, er play. You may be
    able to fix the problem with a Win98 and/or system software update. Do
    you have Win98, or Win98SE (Second Edition)? Also, the make and model
    of the system may help, in that there might be an update for the chipset
    on the motherboard, depending on which chipset it uses. More
    information can help me to help you. :)

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    Well I tried unplugging the USB cable, started computer and tried to shut it
    down. I still got the fatal exception error... I was hoping unplugging the
    USB would be a quick fix...

    Phyllis, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    My husband had this computer built in August of 2001., so it's not a name
    brand, i.e., Gateway or Dell, etc. At present, I don't have my Windows 98
    disk.... We moved 6 months ago and I haven't come across it among a couple
    of other things. I pulled the paperwork out and the motherboard is an Aopen
    AK-33.

    Phyllis, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Phyllis wrote:
    > My husband had this computer built in August of 2001., so it's not a
    > name brand, i.e., Gateway or Dell, etc. At present, I don't have my
    > Windows 98 disk.... We moved 6 months ago and I haven't come across
    > it among a couple of other things. I pulled the paperwork out and
    > the motherboard is an Aopen AK-33.

    That's very helpful. There is a USB driver update for Win98SE, if
    that's what you have. You can check by right clicking on My Computer
    and selecting Properties. This will show you 'System Properties',
    General tab. At the top right, the version number is listed. 98SE
    would be version 4.10.2222 [and may have an A]. If so, this is where to
    get the update:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240075

    There is also a updated driver for the chipset on the motherboard
    (whichever version of Win98 you have) and it can be downloaded here:
    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

    If these don't fix the problem, you may have to reinstall Windows,
    unless someone else comes along with a better idea.
    Good luck.

    ICee, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    I show it's Windows 98 (not SE) underneath that, it has 4-10-1998.

    Phyllis, Jan 29, 2004
  9. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Phyllis wrote:
    > I show it's Windows 98 (not SE) underneath that, it has 4-10-1998

    Three things to do. First, check Windows Update to see if there are any
    updates for Windows 98. Go here:
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    and it will automatically scan your system to see if any updates are
    needed.
    If so, download and install them.
    Second, check for updated drivers for the USB device. Go to the
    manufacturers web site to see if they have any.
    Third, install the updated VIA chipset drivers, as mentioned in my last
    post.

    If you're still having problems, post back with information about the
    USB device you are using.
    Good luck.

    ICee, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Phyllis

    Phyllis Guest

    Will do! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!

    Phyllis, Jan 29, 2004
  11. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Phyllis wrote:
    > Will do! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!

    You're welcome. :)

    ICee, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Phyllis

    Boomer Guest

    Phyllis, <> wrote:

    > Will do! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!
    >
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> Phyllis wrote:
    >> > I show it's Windows 98 (not SE) underneath that, it has
    >> > 4-10-1998

    >> Three things to do. First, check Windows Update to see if
    >> there are any updates for Windows 98. Go here:
    >> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    >> and it will automatically scan your system to see if any
    >> updates are needed.
    >> If so, download and install them.
    >> Second, check for updated drivers for the USB device. Go to
    >> the manufacturers web site to see if they have any.
    >> Third, install the updated VIA chipset drivers, as mentioned in
    >> my last post.
    >>
    >> If you're still having problems, post back with information
    >> about the USB device you are using.
    >> Good luck.

    [HUGE SNIP]
    Boomer, Jan 29, 2004
  13. Phyllis

    Boomer Guest

    ICee, <> wrote:

    > Phyllis wrote:
    >> Will do! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!

    > You're welcome. :)
    >

    >> "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Three things to do. First, check Windows Update to see if
    >>> there are any updates for Windows 98. Go here:
    >>> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    >>> and it will automatically scan your system to see if any
    >>> updates are needed.
    >>> If so, download and install them.
    >>> Second, check for updated drivers for the USB device. Go to
    >>> the manufacturers web site to see if they have any.
    >>> Third, install the updated VIA chipset drivers, as mentioned
    >>> in my last post.
    >>>
    >>> If you're still having problems, post back with information
    >>> about the USB device you are using.
    >>> Good luck.

    [HUGE SNIP]
    Boomer, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > ICee, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Phyllis wrote:
    >>> Will do! Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!

    >> You're welcome. :)
    >>

    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > [HUGE SNIP]

    Are you trying to tell me something, Boomer? :)
    ICee, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Phyllis

    Boomer Guest

    ICee, <> wrote:

    > Boomer wrote:

    [snip]
    >> [HUGE SNIP]

    > Are you trying to tell me something, Boomer? :)

    Heavens no! ;)
    Boomer, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Phyllis

    ICee Guest

    Boomer wrote:
    > ICee, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Boomer wrote:

    > [snip]
    >>> [HUGE SNIP]

    >> Are you trying to tell me something, Boomer? :)

    > Heavens no! ;)

    LOL. I didn't pay attention to how long the thread was getting.
    That's what happens when I try to do three things at once. :)
    ICee, Jan 29, 2004