A Fany fault

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all

    Sorry about the subject but it does involve a 'Fan'

    Setup: 6 PC peer to peer LAN. Of which 4 are Point Of Sale terminals. All
    wiring Cat 5, two of the POS terminals doubled up over one LAN cable because
    the other cable run's were used for Phone/EFTPOS etc.This setup had been
    running A1 for 12 - 18 months.

    Since just before Xmas 03 the hub has frequently displayed 'Partition'
    errors from the 'Doubled' terminals. Owner getting very frustrated trying to
    'find' the fault.

    I was asked if I could find anything.

    Checked wiring, aligned network protocols, removed unnecessary startups,
    cleaned out caches (all of Mike's 'Basic Maintenance') etc. To cut a long
    story short, couldn't find anything, but still Partition errors.

    Ran a temporary Cat5 and separated the 'doubled up terminals' late Friday.
    Saturday, Sunday, Monday no problems (Auckland Anniversary weekend) yea were
    on to it! Like ell.

    Tuesday more partition errors but from just one of the PC's, aha that must
    be it, but just to check swap it to the temporary Cat5. Dang if the
    partition errors didn't appear on the other PC and stay on the original one
    as well.
    At this point a third POS terminal started to display partition errors as
    well (this one was about 4 metres from the other two) What the .......

    Ok conference time
    What time does it occur? About 10 to 3 or 4pm. Ah so it's environmental.
    When did it start? The weekend of the thunder storm. Mmm maybe lightning
    strike?
    How did you know it was then? Because that was the weekend we rearranged the
    POS furniture/desks/filing cabinet.
    From the back of the huddle a voice said 'could it be the Fan'?
    The Fan? yes the fan placed on the filing cabinet in place of the floor fan
    that was there before the furniture was rearranged.

    Well not likely but,.........ok lets try it.

    And it dam well was. Turn the fan off and the partition errors disappeared,
    turn it on and they came back.

    Conclusion:
    Spiky interference from the Fan when running. The three terminals affected
    were about within 4 metres of the offending fan, significantly their LAN
    cables were all bundled together.
    Proof:
    NO problems since the Fan was banned to the back of the shop.

    And why no problems over the weekend? Seems the staff on duty on the weekend
    didn't like the fan so they left it off!

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jan 28, 2004

  2. "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Conclusion:
    > Spiky interference from the Fan when running. The three terminals affected
    > were about within 4 metres of the offending fan, significantly their LAN
    > cables were all bundled together.
    > Proof:
    > NO problems since the Fan was banned to the back of the shop.
    >
    > And why no problems over the weekend? Seems the staff on duty on the

    weekend
    > didn't like the fan so they left it off!

    Paul, sounds like a good story for computerworld.com Shark Tank :D

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

    Mauricio Freitas, Jan 28, 2004

  3. PC

    BTMO Guest

    "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote

    > > Conclusion:
    > > Spiky interference from the Fan when running. The three terminals

    affected
    > > were about within 4 metres of the offending fan, significantly their LAN
    > > cables were all bundled together.
    > > Proof:
    > > NO problems since the Fan was banned to the back of the shop.
    > >
    > > And why no problems over the weekend? Seems the staff on duty on the

    > weekend
    > > didn't like the fan so they left it off!
    > >

    > Paul, sounds like a good story for computerworld.com Shark Tank :D

    True!

    You can win a t-shirt...

    Must wear mine to work on Friday...

    :)