    charger and assessories, no lenses....I believe that it is in excellent
    shape, as it was used in an opthamologist office. What should be a decent
    price for this camera?..any info would be appreciated...Bill
    bill, Dec 20, 2003

  2. bill

    Don Coon Guest

    Check on Ebay for completed sales. They seem to be at or below $600. A
    couple went for $700 but included extras -- one a 28-105mm and 128MB CF
    card -- the other a camera bag large enough to hold two cameras.

    Don Coon, Dec 20, 2003

  3. bill

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "bill" <> wrote in message
    > I have a chance to buy a Canon D30 body, and I believe it comes with
    > charger and assessories, no lenses....I believe that it is in excellent
    > shape, as it was used in an opthamologist office. What should be a decent
    > price for this camera?..any info would be appreciated...Bill

    I sold one in Sept to a friend so I kind of gave them a good deal. D30 body
    plus all accessories that came with the camera, 28-135 USM lens (Non IS),
    192 mb CF card and a small pelican case. $700.00. My guess would be in the
    $600 to $700 range.

    --
    "Secular nations have one thing in common -- mass graves, and
    the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter
    Bob Hatch, Dec 21, 2003
  4. bill

    GAH Guest

    If you're going to spend $700 as some are suggesting, spend the extra
    $100-$200 and get a Digital Rebel ($899 body, $999 with basic lens kit).

    Greg

    GAH, Dec 21, 2003
  5. bill

    PlaneGuy Guest

    Its not as straightforward as that. Each camera has its advantages and
    disadvantages.

    The most obvious advantage to the 300D, is the newer sensor. It has twice
    the pixels, lower noise, better colour balance, better white baance. The
    300D also has much better AF (though not selectable), is lighter and
    smaller, and is compatible with the EF-S lens.

    However, the D30 has the adavantage in a few other areas. Firstly it has
    selectable AF (though I think the speed and accuracy improvement outweighs
    this). It lets you map AF from the shutter button to the back of the camera,
    to let you take full advantage of Full Time Manual Focus. It has custom
    functions, so you can do things like have second curtain flash. Some people
    like the heavier, sturdier body of the D30 better than the 300D. You can do
    Flash Exposure Compensation on the D30. I am sure that there are quite a few
    others out there too. You should read up on both cameras at dpreview.com
    (and other sites).

    So basically it comes down to whether you need the extra features of the D30
    more than the better sensor and AF of the 300D (and can't afford the 10D or
    other brands alternatives)
    PlaneGuy, Dec 21, 2003
  6. bill

    Scott Ranger Guest

    Having owned a D30 and now a 10D and have extensively used a 300D, I agree.
    The D30 is still an incredible camera, and even though the 300D is
    well-built, the D30 is has a stronger body and is better built.
    Scott

    Scott Ranger, Dec 21, 2003
  7. bill

    PlaneGuy Guest

    I still own a D30, and am loving it. I can't see myself upgrading for 2
    generations (unless I drop the camera).

    However, maybe I should suggest that a fair price is $2500, so that in 3-4
    years when I want to sell, I will still be able to get a good price ;-)
    PlaneGuy, Dec 21, 2003
  8. bill

    stacey Guest

    PlaneGuy wrote:

    > I still own a D30, and am loving it. I can't see myself upgrading for 2
    > generations (unless I drop the camera).
    >
    > However, maybe I should suggest that a fair price is $2500, so that in 3-4
    > years when I want to sell, I will still be able to get a good price ;-)

    Nah, in 2-3 years it will be worth about $25.

    --

    Stacey
    stacey, Dec 21, 2003
  9. bill

    Patrick L. Guest

    "GAH" <> wrote in message
    > If you're going to spend $700 as some are suggesting, spend the extra
    > $100-$200 and get a Digital Rebel ($899 body, $999 with basic lens kit).
    >

    > Greg

    Remember, the digiRebel does not have flash compensation, and for that
    reason, I won't buy it. Most probably won't be needing it, but I do.

    Patrick
    Patrick L., Dec 21, 2003
  10. bill

    Don Coon Guest

    "Patrick L." <> wrote in message

    > "GAH" <> wrote in message
    > > If you're going to spend $700 as some are suggesting, spend the extra
    > > $100-$200 and get a Digital Rebel ($899 body, $999 with basic lens kit).
    > >

    > > Greg
    > >

    > Remember, the digiRebel does not have flash compensation, and for that
    > reason, I won't buy it. Most probably won't be needing it, but I do.
    >

    > Patrick

    There's always the D60 for $700 to $900 on Ebay. Price difference may be
    worth it for the extra 3MP.
    Don Coon, Dec 21, 2003