A Facebook problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Oct 1, 2010.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I am up against something that looks like a Catchh-22 situation.

    In my user account I find, translated from Norwegian:

    Your user-e-mail address must always be a valid address.

    contact-e-mail:

    (Remove)

    (Remove)

    Seems I have two problems:

    1.. the contact-e-mail address is at my old ISP. I now am using only
    gmail. Mail to the old address is still being redirected to the gmail
    address but I believe that is only temporary.

    2.. I can login to the e-mail server and also to Facebook, but I don't
    have the password for Facebook, I can only see the asterix's when I login.

    3.. Without knowing the password, I am not allowed to make any changes to
    my contact-e-mail address.

    4.. It seems I cannot get around the problem by creating a new account
    either?

    What can I do to solve the problem?
    Rolf, Oct 1, 2010

  2. Rolf

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 01/10/2010 09:51, Rolf wrote:
    > I am up against something that looks like a Catchh-22 situation.
    >

    > In my user account I find, translated from Norwegian:
    >

    > Your user-e-mail address must always be a valid address.
    >

    > contact-e-mail:
    >
    > (Remove)
    >
    > (Remove)
    >

    > Seems I have two problems:
    >

    > 1.. the contact-e-mail address is at my old ISP. I now am using only
    > gmail. Mail to the old address is still being redirected to the gmail
    > address but I believe that is only temporary.
    >

    > 2.. I can login to the e-mail server and also to Facebook, but I don't
    > have the password for Facebook, I can only see the asterix's when I login.
    >

    > 3.. Without knowing the password, I am not allowed to make any changes to
    > my contact-e-mail address.
    >

    > 4.. It seems I cannot get around the problem by creating a new account
    > either?
    >

    > What can I do to solve the problem?

    Contact Facebook and explain the problem?
    Desk Rabbit, Oct 1, 2010

  3. Rolf

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Rolf" <> wrote in message

    > I am up against something that looks like a Catchh-22 situation.
    >
    > In my user account I find, translated from Norwegian:
    >
    > Your user-e-mail address must always be a valid address.

    <snip>
    > Seems I have two problems:
    >
    > 1.. the contact-e-mail address is at my old ISP. I now am using only
    > gmail. Mail to the old address is still being redirected to the gmail
    > address but I believe that is only temporary.
    >
    > 2.. I can login to the e-mail server and also to Facebook, but I don't
    > have the password for Facebook, I can only see the asterix's when I login.

    Two options:
    1. Follow the "Forgotten your password?" link on facebook - its on the login
    page. If your email is still being redirected then you should be able to
    pick up any reminders.

    2. There are lots of applications out there which will let you either (i.)
    see the password which is hidden behind the asterics or (ii.) dump all the
    saved passwords on your pc. For the latter you probably want to google for
    protected storage viewer.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Oct 1, 2010
  4. Rolf

    John Holmes Guest

    Rolf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I am up against something that looks like a Catchh-22 situation.
    >

    > In my user account I find, translated from Norwegian:
    >

    > Your user-e-mail address must always be a valid address.
    >

    > contact-e-mail:
    >
    > (Remove)
    >
    > (Remove)
    >

    > Seems I have two problems:
    >

    > 1.. the contact-e-mail address is at my old ISP. I now am using only
    > gmail. Mail to the old address is still being redirected to the gmail
    > address but I believe that is only temporary.
    >

    > 2.. I can login to the e-mail server and also to Facebook, but I
    > don't
    > have the password for Facebook, I can only see the asterix's when I
    > login.
    >

    > 3.. Without knowing the password, I am not allowed to make any
    > changes to
    > my contact-e-mail address.
    >

    > 4.. It seems I cannot get around the problem by creating a new
    > account
    > either?
    >

    > What can I do to solve the problem?

    Brian Cryer had a good suggestion. Also look for Snadboy's Revelation,
    software to display the characters hiding behind the stars.

    --
    <snip>
    John Holmes, Oct 1, 2010
  5. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    John Holmes wrote:
    > Rolf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> I am up against something that looks like a Catchh-22 situation.
    >>

    >> In my user account I find, translated from Norwegian:
    >>

    >> Your user-e-mail address must always be a valid address.
    >>

    >> contact-e-mail:
    >>
    >> (Remove)
    >>
    >> (Remove)
    >>

    >> Seems I have two problems:
    >>

    >> 1.. the contact-e-mail address is at my old ISP. I now am using
    >> only gmail. Mail to the old address is still being redirected to
    >> the gmail address but I believe that is only temporary.
    >>

    >> 2.. I can login to the e-mail server and also to Facebook, but I
    >> don't
    >> have the password for Facebook, I can only see the asterix's when I
    >> login.
    >>

    >> 3.. Without knowing the password, I am not allowed to make any
    >> changes to
    >> my contact-e-mail address.
    >>

    >> 4.. It seems I cannot get around the problem by creating a new
    >> account
    >> either?
    >>

    >> What can I do to solve the problem?
    >>

    > Brian Cryer had a good suggestion. Also look for Snadboy's Revelation,
    > software to display the characters hiding behind the stars.

    I had no luck with the suggestions, but I found that I could ask to reset
    my password; although I probably would run into the same problem if I should
    want to do it again. But I won't; I wrote it down, and it is something that
    I even may remember!

    But thanks anyway for your help.

    Cheers, Rolf
    Rolf, Oct 1, 2010