A+ Exams - Some Feedback

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bruce R, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Bruce R

    Bruce R Guest

    I have just completed my A+ exams and though some feedback may be of
    interest.

    The Exams:
    Both of my exams were the new linear format and included the extra questions
    on the 2003 objectives. Both had 80 questions. Both were marked out of 900
    and the pass mark for the hardware was 467 and for the OS was 469. I took
    the Hardware one about a month ago and the OS one today.

    I found a couple of questions in each were more detailed/complex than I
    expected and I had to take a guess. I can't remember exactly what they were
    but at the time I was a little surprised. However, on the whole the
    questions were pretty much in line with what I had studied based on the
    sources mentioned below. The OS exam had less on MSDOS that I expected and
    did include some questions specific to XP.

    Study Resources:
    I used books and free practice exams on the net rather than instructor led
    or CBT based training. The books I used were as follows:
    Mike Meyers Passport A+ Certification edition (2001 objectives)
    Sybex A+ Complete, Third Edition (2003 Objectives)
    Sybex A+ Fast Pass (2003 Objectives)
    Osborne Test Yourself A+ certification (2001 objectives)
    Microsoft A+ Certification Readiness Review (2001 objectives)

    I found the Mike Meyers book very easy to read and follow. The Sybex books
    were more detailed and a good resources for the 2003 Objectives. In fact,
    they were the only ones available locally (Melbourne, Australia) I coud find
    a month or so ago based on the 2003 objectives.

    Practice Exams:
    Apart from the CDs included with the books, I used the www.freecomptia.com
    and www.braindumpcentral.com sites for the free practice exams. I also tried
    lots of free sample tests on other sites but decided against paying for any
    practice tests.

    I found the braindumpcentral site very useful but, in my opinion, it is
    important to remember that the questions are based on memory and I think
    sometimes misquoted and misleading. However, quite a few of the questions on
    braindumpcentral did come up on my exam.

    The freecomptia site is based around the 2001 objectives mainly but I still
    found it a very useful resource.

    Why did I want to become A+ certified?
    I have read many posts questioning the value of the A+ certification. I am
    in Melbourne, Australia, and A+ is not well recognised here from what I can
    see. I suspect I am also "chronologically challenged" compared with many of
    you as I am looking to options that will let me do what I like doing when I
    eventually retire part time in a few years. I have been playing with PCs
    since before IBM released its first PC so I did not find the A+ too much of
    a challenge. It is simply the starting point for me. I think it was worth
    the exam cost, a few hundred dollars on books and some of my time!

    What's Next?
    As mentioned above, for me this is the start and MCP on Win XP is next
    followed by Network+ and then MCSA. Hopefully this will open up options for
    me to move into a technical role and gain some practical experience before
    tackling the MCSE.

    Anyone in Australia want a bargain on my A+ books?
    If there is anyone in Australia who is thinking of studying for the A+ then
    send me an email if you are interested in my books at a bargain price.

    Bruce R
    Melbourne, Australia
    Bruce R, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Bruce R

    Ola Guest

    Very insightful piece of info.
    thanks Bruce. This helps and encourages me to take the A+ cert.

    Ola, Oct 14, 2003