A DVD player that doesn't suck? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jim, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
    years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
    is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
    run more than 10 hours if it wanted too. In fact, you're unlikely to
    get decent performance from day one.
    DVD players, of course, are current technology. One might be stupid
    enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
    must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.
    Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
    could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
    experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
    most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.
    A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
    was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
    run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
    another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.
    This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
    tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
    hospital).

    Has decent quality hit the toilet?
    Maybe I'm just unlucky?
    Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
    disks dropped to the barely-playing level?

    I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
    hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?
    I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
    will do what it's asked to do. Not a whole lot....just play a whole
    DVD, period.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim, Jun 26, 2004

  2. > Are DVDs being recorded like crap?

    If, perchance, they're Mei-Ah or Universe Laser DVDs from Hong-Kong,
    then hell yes. In act, calling them "crap" would be complimenting them.

    Brock Landers, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Jim

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
    > years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
    > is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
    > run more than 10 hours if it wanted too. In fact, you're unlikely to
    > get decent performance from day one.
    > DVD players, of course, are current technology. One might be stupid
    > enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
    > must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.
    > Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
    > could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
    > experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
    > most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.
    > A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
    > was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
    > run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
    > another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.
    > This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
    > tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
    > hospital).
    >
    > Has decent quality hit the toilet?
    > Maybe I'm just unlucky?
    > Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
    > disks dropped to the barely-playing level?
    >
    > I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
    > hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?
    > I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
    > will do what it's asked to do. Not a whole lot....just play a whole
    > DVD, period.

    Look at the brands you're buying. Bravo? Onkyo? I've never even heard of
    Bravo. It's possible these are high-end specialty brands that I'm simply
    unaware of, but why aren't you looking at mainstream equipment from Sony or
    Panasonic? I bought my first Panasonic in 1998, and it's still doing just
    fine today, a real workhorse (played over 1500 discs easily).

    Don't follow "a newsgroup buzz". Far too much diversity of opinion to get
    anything useful from a newsgroup. Go read reviews in genre magazines (or
    online), and stick to big-name brands you can trust.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Jim

    Biz Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
    > years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
    > is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
    > run more than 10 hours if it wanted too. In fact, you're unlikely to
    > get decent performance from day one.
    > DVD players, of course, are current technology. One might be stupid
    > enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
    > must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.
    > Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
    > could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
    > experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
    > most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.
    > A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
    > was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
    > run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
    > another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.
    > This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
    > tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
    > hospital).
    >
    > Has decent quality hit the toilet?
    > Maybe I'm just unlucky?
    > Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
    > disks dropped to the barely-playing level?
    >
    > I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
    > hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?
    > I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
    > will do what it's asked to do. Not a whole lot....just play a whole
    > DVD, period.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    For electronics, age usually has way more to do with how long something
    lasts than how much it was used, except for moving parts that will wear.
    Onkyo is not really known as a good brand, if most people that know are
    asked what players are recommended, Onkyo does not usually make the list.
    I've had 2 players since 1998, a Toshiba SD-3109, and now a Pioneer DV-563A,
    the Toshiba died recently, laser(common problem), the Pioneer works
    flawlessly. Choose a better brand next time. Although your Brvo D1 should
    have been flawless as well, I never hear bad thngs about those so perhaps
    you were just unlucky. Did you return the faulty Bravo D1 for a
    replacement?

    Biz, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Jim wrote:

    > As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
    > years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
    > is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
    > run more than 10 hours if it wanted too. In fact, you're unlikely to
    > get decent performance from day one.
    > DVD players, of course, are current technology. One might be stupid
    > enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
    > must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.
    > Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
    > could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
    > experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
    > most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.
    > A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
    > was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
    > run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
    > another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.
    > This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
    > tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
    > hospital).
    >
    > Has decent quality hit the toilet?

    All of my players have ran for years. Only one player crapped right out
    of the box, and it was a cheap one.

    > Maybe I'm just unlucky?

    Sounds like it. Do a little research on the players you buy, and don't
    skimp. Stick with well-regarded brands, like Toshiba, Panasonic. You
    could even try going high-end, with the Pioneer Elite series, or the
    more expensive stuff from Denon and Onkyo.

    > Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
    > disks dropped to the barely-playing level?

    With occassional rare exceptions, a DVD either plays or it doesn't.
    That is the nature of a digital format. If you're having bad luck with
    a DVD try it out on a friend's player.

    > I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
    > hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?

    Don't buy cheap crap.

    > I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
    > will do what it's asked to do. Not a whole lot....just play a whole
    > DVD, period.

    If you want a mid-level player, go to a place like Circuit City or Best
    Buy and ask the salespeople to show you a good player (try not to be
    swayed by snazzy features, like recording, or pseudo-HD playback, if all
    you want is a DVD player). And buy the extended warranty.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Mike Kohary wrote:
    > Look at the brands you're buying. Bravo? Onkyo? I've never even heard of
    > Bravo. It's possible these are high-end specialty brands that I'm simply
    > unaware of, but why aren't you looking at mainstream equipment from Sony or
    > Panasonic? I bought my first Panasonic in 1998, and it's still doing just
    > fine today, a real workhorse (played over 1500 discs easily).

    Onkyo is one of those brands that makes both cheap crap, as well as
    high-end expensive stuff. They don't have much middle ground.

    In fact, I've heard opinions from people that the quality of their
    high-end stuff is slipping.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004
  7. "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message

    <<If you want a mid-level player, go to a place like Circuit City or
    Best Buy and ask the salespeople to show you a good player (try not to
    be swayed by snazzy features, like recording, or pseudo-HD playback, if
    all you want is a DVD player). And buy the extended warranty.>>

    Even better, try to find out which brands and models customers return
    the most. (Circuit City puts them out on the floor as "open box
    specials.")

    Avoid the brands which compromise the majority of these customer
    returns.

    One-Shot Scot, Jun 27, 2004
  8. Jim

    Murder Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in news:exmDc.164598
    $:

    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
    >> years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
    >> is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
    >> run more than 10 hours if it wanted too. In fact, you're unlikely to
    >> get decent performance from day one.
    >> DVD players, of course, are current technology. One might be stupid
    >> enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
    >> must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.
    >> Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
    >> could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
    >> experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
    >> most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.
    >> A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
    >> was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
    >> run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
    >> another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.
    >> This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
    >> tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
    >> hospital).
    >>
    >> Has decent quality hit the toilet?

    > All of my players have ran for years. Only one player crapped right

    out
    > of the box, and it was a cheap one.
    >
    >> Maybe I'm just unlucky?

    > Sounds like it. Do a little research on the players you buy, and don't
    > skimp. Stick with well-regarded brands, like Toshiba, Panasonic. You
    > could even try going high-end, with the Pioneer Elite series, or the
    > more expensive stuff from Denon and Onkyo.

    I certainly wouldn't recommend Panasonic or Toshiba. I had one of each,
    and they both conked out after a couple of years. or is that good for a
    DVD player?

    --
    "There is no more foul or relentless enemy of man in the occult world
    than this dead-alive creature spewed up from the grave..."

    Murder, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Murder wrote:
    >>Sounds like it. Do a little research on the players you buy, and don't
    >>skimp. Stick with well-regarded brands, like Toshiba, Panasonic. You
    >>could even try going high-end, with the Pioneer Elite series, or the
    >>more expensive stuff from Denon and Onkyo.

    > I certainly wouldn't recommend Panasonic or Toshiba. I had one of each,
    > and they both conked out after a couple of years. or is that good for a
    > DVD player?

    Toshiba and Panasonic are among the best, if not the best, mid-level
    brands. I once bought a Toshiba player that stopped working right after
    I bought it, but that was one bad experience and I haven't let it turn
    me away from them. Toshiba has a very high customer satisfaction
    rating, as does Panasonic. They're both great companies. I stay away
    from Sony though, too many horror stories of things breaking after a
    year or two. Every electronics company has stories like this but they
    come from Sony more than any other place.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Jim

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    (Jim) wrote:

    > Has decent quality hit the toilet?
    > Maybe I'm just unlucky?

    Either bad luck or you're just buying the wrong brands.

    > Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
    > disks dropped to the barely-playing level?

    Not at all. Quite the opposite. It's steadily improved each year with
    the typical dual-layer DVD-9 now being manufactured and mastered to
    perfection by all the major movie studios. My DVD players sees 2 to 5
    new commercial discs every week and I haven't yet experienced a single
    problem with any of them.

    > I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
    > hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?
    > I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
    > will do what it's asked to do. Not a whole lot....just play a whole
    > DVD, period.

    Lot's of other people have recommended Panasonic and I'll second that.
    I've been using Panasonic DVD players since day 1 and can say nothing
    but good things about them. Go to Best Buy or Circuit City and look for
    the Panasonic S35. This player should only cost you about $90 and I can
    pretty much guarantee it will play everything you throw at it with no
    hiccups. They may have a newer model on the shelf now, but you can't go
    wrong with any Panasonic. Get back to me after you've tested the player
    out and let me know how it performed.

    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Murder wrote:
    > I certainly wouldn't recommend Panasonic or Toshiba. I had one of each,
    > and they both conked out after a couple of years. or is that good for a
    > DVD player?

    Not good, no. My Panasonic and Toshiba players are both still going strong
    after three and four years, respectively.

    doug

    --
    "It's a semi-automatic; get in the car..."
    --The Sisters of Mercy

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 27, 2004
  12. Jim

    Richard C. Guest

    How strange.
    I have 7 DVD players (from $35 to $1200 new price).

    None of them have exhibited the problems you describe.

    =============

    :

    Richard C., Jun 27, 2004
  13. One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > Even better, try to find out which brands and models customers return
    > the most. (Circuit City puts them out on the floor as "open box
    > specials.")
    >
    > Avoid the brands which compromise the majority of these customer
    > returns.

    You mean comprise. :p

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2004
  14. Jim

    Fred Guest

    I got a JVC from Best Buy. Works great. Other good brands are Pioneer,
    Panasonic, Toshiba.

    I buy many open box items. I always get the extended warranty with them.
    Problem with that is, an open box is cheaper when it comes to returns in
    Best Buy, and if you have to exchange it, you have to cough up more money.

    I have an open box 1)CD recorder 2)DVD Recorder 3) DVD portable player 4)
    Tivo. Saves me a few bucks.

    Fred, Jun 28, 2004
  15. >As we all know, build quality has fallen through the floor over the
    >years. A 10lb VCR of the past that played all day, all week, all year
    >is now represented by a 1/2 lb korean slam-together POS that couldn't
    >run more than 10 hours if it wanted too.

    More likely a Chinese slam-together.

    > One might be stupid
    >enough to believe they are up to SOME level of quality. Tonight, I
    >must admit I haven't found one worth a damn.

    And what are specific examples? So far, you've only cited two. It's unfair to
    condemn an entire format on two bad players.

    > Last year, following a newsgroup buzz, I bought a Bravo D1 so I
    >could use my TVs DVI input. This thing sucked more than anything I had
    >experienced before. It would run occasionally with no problem, but
    >most of the time suffered with skips, hangs, etc.

    Would it be possible that the player you bought was defective? You could have
    tried to do an exchange for a different machine.

    >A few years ago I bought my first DVD player, an Onkyo DV-S535. I
    >was pleased with it then, and up until tonight. That may seem a great
    >run, but I only ran about 20-30 movies in all that time. Now it's just
    >another player freezing on brand new DVDs out of the box.

    Onkyo makes good stuff, although there are some pieces of equipment that they
    made which were horrible. However, the problem could have happened because the
    player may have been hit by power surges.

    A crippled power supply may not be able to provide the necessary power to
    operate the optical pickup and other electronics properly if it worked at all.

    >This is a non-smoking household. We don't live next to railroad
    >tracks. The electronics are as clean as possible (we're not a
    >hospital).

    But your players can still be hit by power surges or brown-outs which can cause
    damage.

    As a matter of fact, I know of someone who has said that, during their time in
    Hawaii and their utterly unreliable power grid, they ended up replacing DVD
    players relatively frequently for power-up and disc reading problems. When
    they moved to the mainland United States, the problem disappeared.

    >Has decent quality hit the toilet?
    > Maybe I'm just unlucky?

    Maybe, maybe not.

    >Are DVDs being recorded like crap? Has the quality of commercial
    >disks dropped to the barely-playing level?

    No. If anything, quality of press-replicated DVD discs have improved.

    >I simply want a DVD player to play a DVD every now and then without
    >hanging, or freezing solid. Is that so much to ask?

    Of course, not.

    >I would greatly appreciate recommendations for a DVD player that
    >will do what it's asked to do.

    Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, and Sony.

    Or, if you have approximately $15,000 (fifteen thousand) to blow, you could buy
    a Meridian model 800 DVD player. However, it's main benefit is audio
    reproduction while quite a few people contend it's no better at video than a
    mass-production player.

    I cannot recommend Toshiba anymore. It appears that their newer line of
    players are outsourced from LG Electronics.

    If you want Denon, only buy their higher end DVD player offerings.

    I cannot provide comment for Fisher/Sanyo DVD players. Not enough experience.

    Lite-On seems to be a new player (no pun intended) in the DVD player market.
    They've made some good DVD-ROM drives for computers, but I cannot say anything
    about their players just yet.

    Stay far away from RCA, G.E., Apex, Norcent, Mintek, Magnavox, Philips, Funai,
    Emerson, Sylvania, Oritron, Curtis Mathes, Venturer, Cyberhome, Coby, Audiovox,
    GoVideo, CineVision, JWin, KLH, JBL, Bose, Samsung, LG, Konka, Hitachi, Sharp,
    Akai, and Zenith.

    Avoid DVD/VCR combo units like the plague.

    Videogame consoles do not provide good DVD player performance, so don't use a
    PS-2 or an XBox for anything except videogames.

    I have seven DVD players in my household, not counting my XBox, PS-2, and my
    Hollywood Plus DVD card in my computer.

    Pioneer DVL-700
    Sony DVP-S360
    Toshiba SD-1700 (x2)
    Panasonic DVD-A110
    Panasonic DVD-R41

    All work perfectly, although my SD-1700 players had capacitors 927, 928, and
    929 replaced to account for known failures of those caps. One of the Toshiba
    players also required power supply repair (regulator, zener diode, fuse).

    The Panasonic DVD-A110 had a bad laser optical pickup. Panasonic agreed to
    service the player absolutely free of charge, even though it was out of
    warranty. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 29, 2004
  16. >> Are DVDs being recorded like crap?

    >If, perchance, they're Mei-Ah or Universe Laser DVDs from Hong-Kong,
    >then hell yes. In act, calling them "crap" would be complimenting them.

    Heheheh. Kind of like Chinese-made LaserDiscs, eh?

    Although, most of us deal with DVDs pressed by American, European, and Japanese
    plants, so they end up being of decent quality.

    Technicolor
    Sonopress
    Sony
    Panasonic
    WAMO
    Pioneer
    Disctronics

    Some of the DVD replicators that cater to the United States. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 29, 2004
  17. >Look at the brands you're buying. Bravo? Onkyo? I've never even heard of
    >Bravo. It's possible these are high-end specialty brands that I'm simply
    >unaware of

    Bravo is not surprising, but Onkyo?

    You've never heard of Onkyo? What country do you reside in? Not meant as an
    insulting question, but rather that I don't think Onkyo distributes to certain
    countries for whatever reason. But, they do have a market in the United
    States. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 29, 2004
  18. >With occassional rare exceptions, a DVD either plays or it doesn't.
    >That is the nature of a digital format. If you're having bad luck with
    >a DVD try it out on a friend's player.

    The nature of digital encoding is that a signal is there or it's not. However,
    optical discs are a different story.

    You can have a marginal laser pickup that may read single layer discs
    flawlessly, but stumble and skip on RSDL discs. You can also have a pickup
    that has become thermal sensitive and work with intermittent hiccups when the
    insides of the player reach "operating temperature."

    I have an Apex AD-500W that I'm working on for a friend. The stock DVS brand
    E-IDE DVD-ROM drive wouldn't recognize any disc, and that problem was traced
    down to a faulty ribbon cable linking the pickup to the drive control
    electronics. After repairing the cable, the player would read discs again, but
    it was stumbling with RSDL discs, which indicates that the pickup has probably
    gone marginal.

    I replaced it with a superior stock Lite-On/JVC LTD-163 E-IDE DVD-ROM drive and
    the thing now runs like a champ.

    But, the use of a cheap drive when the player was first made, as well as a
    questionable looking power supply, is testament to some of the low standards
    that Apex players are made to. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 29, 2004
  19. > Every electronics company has stories like this but they
    >come from Sony more than any other place.

    That's an inaccurate assessment, and there are quite a few satisfied Sony
    owners. I'm one of them.

    I hear the most horror stories concerning RCA crap. One retailer jokingly
    referred to the brand as "Return Coming At'cha." About the only thing they can
    make right are just their picture tubes. Everything else, from their bigscreen
    televisions to their "audio" equipment, are junk. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jun 29, 2004
  20. LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    >>With occassional rare exceptions, a DVD either plays or it doesn't.
    >>That is the nature of a digital format. If you're having bad luck with
    >>a DVD try it out on a friend's player.

    > The nature of digital encoding is that a signal is there or it's not. However,
    > optical discs are a different story.
    >
    > You can have a marginal laser pickup that may read single layer discs
    > flawlessly, but stumble and skip on RSDL discs. You can also have a pickup
    > that has become thermal sensitive and work with intermittent hiccups when the
    > insides of the player reach "operating temperature."

    Okay, you clarified what I meant, i.e. those "rare exceptions." Thanks.

    > But, the use of a cheap drive when the player was first made, as well as a
    > questionable looking power supply, is testament to some of the low standards
    > that Apex players are made to. - Reinhart

    And yet people flock to them, such is the demand for easy multi-regional
    hacking. Understandable outside the US, as we seem to get the best DVDs
    for the most part, but I'm confused why there is such demand in the US
    for foreign DVDs. The demand itself doesn't confuse me, just the
    magnitude of it.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 30, 2004