A dumb sounding home network question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandpaChuck, Sep 16, 2006.

  1. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb questions were the
    ones that went not asked. I hope he was right. That advise has served
    me well for many years.

    I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
    keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom. Now for the
    question: Can I connect to it from my main computer that is wired to
    the wireless hub and then listen to it via my home network on that
    bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

    Thanks friends.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 16, 2006

  2. GrandpaChuck

    Mike Easter Guest

    Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.

    GrandpaChuck wrote:

    > I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
    > keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom.

    He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
    is....?

    .... 'in the bedroom'

    Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
    accessing by dialup? What?

    > Now for the
    > question: Can I connect to it from my main computer

    Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
    internet?

    > ... that is wired to
    > the wireless hub

    The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
    cable modem? A DSL modem? What?

    > and then listen to it via my home network

    home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
    there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
    between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
    the internet?

    > on that
    > bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

    Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
    the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2006

  3. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.
    >
    >GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >
    >> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
    >> keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom.

    >He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
    >is....?
    >
    >... 'in the bedroom'
    >
    >Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
    >accessing by dialup? What?

    Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.

    >> Now for the
    >> question: Can I connect to it from my main computer

    >Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
    >internet?

    Cable broadband. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Not all of us are as
    computer savvy as others.

    >> ... that is wired to
    >> the wireless hub

    >The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
    >cable modem? A DSL modem? What?
    >
    >> and then listen to it via my home network

    >home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
    >there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
    >between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
    >the internet?

    Wireless home network. I thought that was pretty obvious.

    >> on that
    >> bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

    >Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
    >the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

    Okay. You proved that I did not provide enough information. That
    showed me to be an ass.

    Then you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.

    So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
    You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
    Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
    senile too.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 16, 2006
  4. GrandpaChuck

    richard Guest

    "GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.
    >>
    >>GrandpaChuck wrote:
    >>
    >>> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
    >>> keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom.

    >>He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
    >>is....?
    >>
    >>... 'in the bedroom'
    >>
    >>Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
    >>accessing by dialup? What?

    > Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.
    >

    >>> Now for the
    >>> question: Can I connect to it from my main computer

    >>Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
    >>internet?

    > Cable broadband. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Not all of us are as
    > computer savvy as others.
    >

    >>> ... that is wired to
    >>> the wireless hub

    >>The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
    >>cable modem? A DSL modem? What?
    >>
    >>> and then listen to it via my home network

    >>home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
    >>there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
    >>between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
    >>the internet?

    > Wireless home network. I thought that was pretty obvious.
    >

    >>> on that
    >>> bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

    >>Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
    >>the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

    > Okay. You proved that I did not provide enough information. That
    > showed me to be an ass.
    >
    > Then you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.
    >
    > So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
    > You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
    > Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
    > senile too.

    I would then suspect that it would be a problem with either the website or
    the cable company.
    Even streaming radio needs to be buffered. So every now and then you're
    going to lose a "connection" during the process. Very annoying.
    richard, Sep 16, 2006
  5. GrandpaChuck

    Andie Guest

    "GrandpaChuck" <> wrote. On Fri, 15 Sep 2006
    19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    > wrote:

    [...]

    > So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
    > You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
    > Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
    > senile too.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Grandpa Chuck
    > -ô¿ô-

    Yay!

    Andie, Sep 16, 2006
  6. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:01:38 -0600, "richard" <> wrote:

    >"GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.

    >>>He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
    >>>is....?
    >>>
    >>>... 'in the bedroom'
    >>>
    >>>Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
    >>>accessing by dialup? What?

    >> Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.

    >>>Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
    >>>internet?

    >> Cable broadband. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Not all of us are as
    >> computer savvy as others.

    >>>The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
    >>>cable modem? A DSL modem? What?

    >>>home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
    >>>there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
    >>>between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
    >>>the internet?

    >> Wireless home network. I thought that was pretty obvious.

    >>>Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
    >>>the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

    >> Okay. You proved that I did not provide enough information. That
    >> showed me to be an ass.
    >>
    >> Then you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.
    >>
    >> So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
    >> You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
    >> Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
    >> senile too.

    >I would then suspect that it would be a problem with either the website or
    >the cable company.
    >Even streaming radio needs to be buffered. So every now and then you're
    >going to lose a "connection" during the process. Very annoying.

    I have never lost signal when listening on what I call our "main"
    computer (computer #1) - the one the wireless hub is hooked to.

    The oldest, or bedroom computer (computer #3) which is there just for
    streaming audio and mp3 files sometimes gets a weak signal. I have
    tried several of the suggestions I got here to improve it with no
    change. I just figured that maybe since I can still communicate
    wirelessly with computer #1 if it was streaming the radio station I
    might be able to listen to it on computer #3 at the same time.

    This whole idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then I have
    never tried to run a program on computer #1 and watch or listen to it
    with computer #3 at the same time.

    Does that make any sense whatever or am I expecting more than I should
    from the home network?

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 16, 2006
  7. GrandpaChuck

    Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    >I have never lost signal when listening on what I call our "main"
    >computer (computer #1) - the one the wireless hub is hooked to.
    >
    >The oldest, or bedroom computer (computer #3) which is there just for
    >streaming audio and mp3 files sometimes gets a weak signal. I have
    >tried several of the suggestions I got here to improve it with no
    >change. I just figured that maybe since I can still communicate
    >wirelessly with computer #1 if it was streaming the radio station I
    >might be able to listen to it on computer #3 at the same time.
    >
    >This whole idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then I have
    >never tried to run a program on computer #1 and watch or listen to it
    >with computer #3 at the same time.

    >Does that make any sense whatever or am I expecting more than I should
    >from the home network?

    Not really :) but I think I get the gist

    You want to listen to the same media on two computers at the same
    time.

    If it can be done VLC will do it http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    "VLC media player which can be used as a server and as a client to
    stream and receive network streams. VLC is able to stream all that it
    can read." http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321
  8. GrandpaChuck

    Jerry Attic Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> said in

    > My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb questions were the
    > ones that went not asked. I hope he was right. That advise has served
    > me well for many years.
    >
    > I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
    > keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom. Now for the
    > question: Can I connect to it from my main computer that is wired to
    > the wireless hub and then listen to it via my home network on that
    > bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

    The problem is with your signal going to the old computer, so I don't think
    it matter. Wireless connections can be fade one moment and be very strong
    the next, depending factors beyond your control.

    Jerry
    Jerry Attic, Sep 16, 2006
  9. GrandpaChuck

    Ali Bubba Guest

    If the signal strength is weak, you could take steps to bolster your wireles
    connection. E.g. move the wireless hub (or is it a router) if possible
    closer to your bedroom, or install a wireless repeater at some midway point
    between the wireless hub and your computer in the bedroom. I don't know too
    much about the repeaters, so you need to do your own research. You could
    also ditch the wireless connection altoghether and run cable up to your
    bedroom.

    It could also be possible your problem is not with the network connection at
    all, but with your OLD computer. The interruptions could be related to how
    effective your computer is at managing the buffer. Limited system resources
    (primarily memory) could impact efficiency. With some versions of windows
    (95, 98 and ME) the OS does not always manage memory efficiently, so even if
    you have plenty of memory (128 MB or more), If you have a lot of items
    running in the background (including spyware), you've got a pretty sorry
    running system.
    Ali Bubba, Sep 16, 2006
  10. GrandpaChuck

    thanatoid Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote in

    > My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb
    > questions were the ones that went not asked. I hope he was
    > right. That advise has served me well for many years.
    >
    > I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a
    > problem keeping connected through our old computer in the
    > bedroom. Now for the question: Can I connect to it from my
    > main computer that is wired to the wireless hub and then
    > listen to it via my home network on that bedroom computer,
    > thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?
    >
    > Thanks friends.

    I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
    computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the audio
    stream well due to its relatively low resources. It is connected
    directly to the web via the network, and has to do all the work
    itself. Not good if it's old.

    I can think of a few solutions:

    1)
    Put a better computer in your bedroom.

    2)
    Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
    amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the "line
    out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and plug it into
    the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just play the signal,
    since no processing (well, a little) will be involved. But it
    should eliminate the problems since the MC will be processing
    the resources-hogging audio stream.

    You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good plugs at
    a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do but it's a
    little overpriced and they do not have the best stuff) and make
    the cable or have someone make it for you for a few bucks.

    If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in color
    to your walls and attach it along where the walls meet the
    ceiling. You won't even know it's there.

    3)
    A variation on 2, using the same cable, possibly with an RCA
    adapter. Plug it into a stereo or blaster (with inputs) in your
    bedroom. I don't know what speakers your BC has but most people
    use two little computer speakers which are crap. So even an
    inexpensive blaster with line-input that you can find in your
    basement or at a garage sale or at goodwill or whatever will
    probably sound a LOT better. An old stereo (receiver/speakers)
    will sound even better. Actually, even a pair of decent
    headphones from the headphone output on your BC will sound
    better than the speakers. But some people don't like headphones.

    Of course, if you want to change stations or anything, you will
    have to run to the MC. Still, there's a few ideas to work with.
    thanatoid, Sep 16, 2006
  11. GrandpaChuck

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 03:25:50 +0000, GrandpaChuck Has Frothed:

    > hen you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.
    >
    > So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me. You could have simply
    > asked me some pertinent questions. Just because I am older by far than
    > home computers does not mean I am senile too.

    Just ignore mumbling Mike, he's got way too much free time on his hands.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 16, 2006
  12. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:43:42 -0500, "Ali Bubba" <>
    wrote:

    >If the signal strength is weak, you could take steps to bolster your wireles
    >connection. E.g. move the wireless hub (or is it a router) if possible
    >closer to your bedroom, or install a wireless repeater at some midway point
    >between the wireless hub and your computer in the bedroom. I don't know too
    >much about the repeaters, so you need to do your own research. You could
    >also ditch the wireless connection altoghether and run cable up to your
    >bedroom.
    >
    >It could also be possible your problem is not with the network connection at
    >all, but with your OLD computer. The interruptions could be related to how
    >effective your computer is at managing the buffer. Limited system resources
    >(primarily memory) could impact efficiency. With some versions of windows
    >(95, 98 and ME) the OS does not always manage memory efficiently, so even if
    >you have plenty of memory (128 MB or more), If you have a lot of items
    >running in the background (including spyware), you've got a pretty sorry
    >running system.

    I am running WinXP Pro on the old computer (#3). It is a Pentium II,
    512mb memory, 4g C drive, 8g D drive.

    It's pretty much impossible to move the hub much closer. I have put it
    up high on top of the computer desk so it at least is not right next
    to the cable modem or my APC battery backup.

    The repeaters that I have been able to find generally cost right
    around $100; not an easy thing for someone on pension to justify.

    I do have the plans for a Ez-12 Parabolic Reflector Template. Perhaps
    I need to see about getting the parts and building one in my workshop.

    BTW, thank you all who have given me constructive advise.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    09/16/2006 it’s 1237 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 16, 2006
  13. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    >
    >> My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb
    >> questions were the ones that went not asked. I hope he was
    >> right. That advise has served me well for many years.
    >>
    >> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a
    >> problem keeping connected through our old computer in the
    >> bedroom. Now for the question: Can I connect to it from my
    >> main computer that is wired to the wireless hub and then
    >> listen to it via my home network on that bedroom computer,
    >> thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?
    >>
    >> Thanks friends.

    >I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
    >computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the audio
    >stream well due to its relatively low resources. It is connected
    >directly to the web via the network, and has to do all the work
    >itself. Not good if it's old.
    >
    >I can think of a few solutions:
    >
    >1)
    >Put a better computer in your bedroom.

    The old bugaboo money rears its ugly head.

    >2)
    >Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
    >amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the "line
    >out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and plug it into
    >the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just play the signal,
    >since no processing (well, a little) will be involved. But it
    >should eliminate the problems since the MC will be processing
    >the resources-hogging audio stream.

    That is a thought worth consideration except it will involve drilling
    two holes through the side of the house and then running that cable 8
    feet to the BC across the bedroom.

    >You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good plugs at
    >a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do but it's a
    >little overpriced and they do not have the best stuff) and make
    >the cable or have someone make it for you for a few bucks.

    I have the necessary tools and know-how to make the cable. You should
    see the back of our entertainment center where we have 2 VCRs, 2DVDRs,
    laser disk player, DVD player, Sony sound system, an audio/video hub
    and of course the Cable box/DVR. It looks like a bowl of spaghetti
    gone wild. Fortunately, I also have a good label maker so each of
    those cables is marked. I can record on tape or DVDR from any source.
    The only thing lacking on this one is the old 12" color TV that
    allowed me to see what I was recording while watching something else.
    LOL

    >If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in color
    >to your walls and attach it along where the walls meet the
    >ceiling. You won't even know it's there.
    >
    >3)
    >A variation on 2, using the same cable, possibly with an RCA
    >adapter. Plug it into a stereo or blaster (with inputs) in your
    >bedroom. I don't know what speakers your BC has but most people
    >use two little computer speakers which are crap.

    I have it hooked to our Pioneer sound system which used to be in the
    living room. If I don't want to get out of bed to turn the computer
    off I just reach over and turn the Pioneer off (the remote stopped
    working years ago and Radio Shack said there was nothing wrong.)

    > So even an
    >inexpensive blaster with line-input that you can find in your
    >basement or at a garage sale or at goodwill or whatever will
    >probably sound a LOT better. An old stereo (receiver/speakers)
    >will sound even better. Actually, even a pair of decent
    >headphones from the headphone output on your BC will sound
    >better than the speakers. But some people don't like headphones.
    >
    >Of course, if you want to change stations or anything, you will
    >have to run to the MC. Still, there's a few ideas to work with.

    Thank you. I appreciate all of your suggestions.

    If I get it all figured out the next step is to move the BC into the
    closet and leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse on the bedroom dresser
    so I don't have the noise of the computer fans all night long. Ya,
    like right now it takes at least 7-10 minutes for us to get to sleep.
    LOL

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 16, 2006
  14. GrandpaChuck

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-16, GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    snip

    > I do have the plans for a Ez-12 Parabolic Reflector Template. Perhaps
    > I need to see about getting the parts and building one in my workshop.

    Start with the suggested cardboard and tinfoil ;))
    <http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Sep 16, 2006
  15. GrandpaChuck

    Mike Easter Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.

    > Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.

    > Cable broadband.

    >> Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each
    >> other, to the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at
    >> anything.

    I still don't see the picture. You said the router was connected to
    main computer, but I'm assuming the cable modem is the uplink for the
    router.

    My own broadband network is mostly wired. Sitting in this one room with
    me is a cable modem, which is the uplink for a wired router Linksys
    BEFSR41, and from which ethernet cables run around the room. At the end
    of one of those ethernet cables sits an Airlink AP421W accesspoint to
    create some wirelessness for parts of the house.

    I only have one computer which is wirelessly configured with a Comp USA
    54mbps wireless G PCI card and it is on a rolling computer desk. At
    this moment, it is also sitting in the same wired computer room but
    communicates wirelessly. If I were going to roll it into the kitchen
    and talk about the quality of my wireless connectivity or its problems
    or dropping streaming audio, I would be talking about how many feet and
    how many walls were between the AP and the computer's external wireless
    antenna.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 16, 2006
  16. GrandpaChuck

    thanatoid Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote in

    > On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
    >>computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the
    >>audio stream well due to its relatively low resources. It
    >>is connected directly to the web via the network, and has
    >>to do all the work itself. Not good if it's old.
    >>
    >>I can think of a few solutions:
    >>
    >>1)
    >>Put a better computer in your bedroom.

    > The old bugaboo money rears its ugly head.

    Understood. Having read the specs of your BC in your other post,
    I think the only reason you manage to run XP on it at all is
    that you have 512 MB of memory. The processor is slow. No wonder
    you have these audio streaming problems.

    >>2)
    >>Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
    >>amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the
    >>"line out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and
    >>plug it into the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just
    >>play the signal, since no processing (well, a little) will
    >>be involved. But it should eliminate the problems since the
    >>MC will be processing the resources-hogging audio stream.

    > That is a thought worth consideration except it will
    > involve drilling two holes through the side of the house
    > and then running that cable 8 feet to the BC across the
    > bedroom.

    Sounds pretty minor to me. I bet you have all the tools.
    And a foot long drill bit (if you even need one THAT long is
    like 10 bucks.

    >>You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good
    >>plugs at a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do
    >>but it's a little overpriced and they do not have the best
    >>stuff) and make the cable or have someone make it for you
    >>for a few bucks.

    > I have the necessary tools and know-how to make the cable.
    > You should see the back of our entertainment center

    <SNIP>

    Sounds nice. And obviously one more cable won't make ANY
    difference in your life ;-) - except to allow you to listen to
    radio in your bedroom.

    >>If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in
    >>color to your walls and attach it along where the walls
    >>meet the ceiling. You won't even know it's there.

    I see this didn't impress you. I have at least 20 cables like
    this, all over ceilings etc. But then again I just don't care
    what people think of what it look like, not that anyone ever
    visits or anything to begin with.

    <SNIP>

    > I have it hooked to our Pioneer sound system which used to
    > be in the living room. If I don't want to get out of bed to
    > turn the computer off I just reach over and turn the
    > Pioneer off (the remote stopped working years ago and Radio
    > Shack said there was nothing wrong.)

    Perfect. So all you need to do to have perfect reception is to
    do the cable suggestion from MC line out to the Pioneer line in
    (anything but phono) with an appropriately long 1/8" stereo to 2
    RCA plugs cable.

    AFA the remote you can get a cheap multi-audio remote from
    OneForAll. If it doesn't work with the specific Pioneer unit you
    have you can return it. Takes 5 minutes to find out.

    > If I get it all figured out the next step is to move the BC
    > into the closet and leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse on
    > the bedroom dresser so I don't have the noise of the
    > computer fans all night long. Ya, like right now it takes
    > at least 7-10 minutes for us to get to sleep. LOL

    Yeah, the most amazing thing about the 3 year old computer I
    bought used about 1.5 years ago is the fact it makes virtually
    NO noise compared to the 9-year old computer I am writing this
    on, which in turn makes half the amount of noise that the 12 (or
    whatever) year old 486 HP Vectra I never use anymore makes.
    Built like a tank, though, the Vectra.

    Have fun.
    thanatoid, Sep 17, 2006
  17. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On 17 Sep 2006 03:00:11 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
    >>>computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the
    >>>audio stream well due to its relatively low resources. It
    >>>is connected directly to the web via the network, and has
    >>>to do all the work itself. Not good if it's old.
    >>>
    >>>I can think of a few solutions:
    >>>
    >>>1)
    >>>Put a better computer in your bedroom.

    >> The old bugaboo money rears its ugly head.

    >Understood. Having read the specs of your BC in your other post,
    >I think the only reason you manage to run XP on it at all is
    >that you have 512 MB of memory. The processor is slow. No wonder
    >you have these audio streaming problems.
    >

    >>>2)
    >>>Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
    >>>amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the
    >>>"line out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and
    >>>plug it into the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just
    >>>play the signal, since no processing (well, a little) will
    >>>be involved. But it should eliminate the problems since the
    >>>MC will be processing the resources-hogging audio stream.

    >> That is a thought worth consideration except it will
    >> involve drilling two holes through the side of the house
    >> and then running that cable 8 feet to the BC across the
    >> bedroom.

    >Sounds pretty minor to me. I bet you have all the tools.
    >And a foot long drill bit (if you even need one THAT long is
    >like 10 bucks.

    If I am going to do that, why not just connect the hub to that
    computer via a wire rather than wireless?

    >>>You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good
    >>>plugs at a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do
    >>>but it's a little overpriced and they do not have the best
    >>>stuff) and make the cable or have someone make it for you
    >>>for a few bucks.

    >> I have the necessary tools and know-how to make the cable.
    >> You should see the back of our entertainment center

    ><SNIP>
    >
    >Sounds nice. And obviously one more cable won't make ANY
    >difference in your life ;-) - except to allow you to listen to
    >radio in your bedroom.
    >
    >>>If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in
    >>>color to your walls and attach it along where the walls
    >>>meet the ceiling. You won't even know it's there.

    >I see this didn't impress you. I have at least 20 cables like
    >this, all over ceilings etc. But then again I just don't care
    >what people think of what it look like, not that anyone ever
    >visits or anything to begin with.
    >
    ><SNIP>
    >
    >> I have it hooked to our Pioneer sound system which used to
    >> be in the living room. If I don't want to get out of bed to
    >> turn the computer off I just reach over and turn the
    >> Pioneer off (the remote stopped working years ago and Radio
    >> Shack said there was nothing wrong.)

    >Perfect. So all you need to do to have perfect reception is to
    >do the cable suggestion from MC line out to the Pioneer line in
    >(anything but phono) with an appropriately long 1/8" stereo to 2
    >RCA plugs cable.
    >
    >AFA the remote you can get a cheap multi-audio remote from
    >OneForAll. If it doesn't work with the specific Pioneer unit you
    >have you can return it. Takes 5 minutes to find out.

    Been there; done that. The universal remote that worked on it before
    doesn't anymore. I would almost be willing to bet that when the
    RadioShack repair center got it they took the cover off before testing
    and it worked fine. That leads me to the possible conclusion that when
    the cover was put back on the sensor is misaligned with the tiny
    window in the case. Next step should be for me to disconnect the power
    cord, remove the cover, reconnect the power cord and see if the remote
    works. If it does then it would be a simple task to realign it. At
    least RadioShack refunded my money I had paid them to send it in.

    >> If I get it all figured out the next step is to move the BC
    >> into the closet and leave the monitor, keyboard, mouse on
    >> the bedroom dresser so I don't have the noise of the
    >> computer fans all night long. Ya, like right now it takes
    >> at least 7-10 minutes for us to get to sleep. LOL

    >Yeah, the most amazing thing about the 3 year old computer I
    >bought used about 1.5 years ago is the fact it makes virtually
    >NO noise compared to the 9-year old computer I am writing this
    >on, which in turn makes half the amount of noise that the 12 (or
    >whatever) year old 486 HP Vectra I never use anymore makes.
    >Built like a tank, though, the Vectra.
    >
    >Have fun.

    Thanks. If computers do little else they keep our minds active and
    keep us learning constantly.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    More than 19,910 Americans wounded.
    09/17/2006 it’s 1238 days since Bush declared, "Mission Accomplished in Iraq."
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 17, 2006
  18. GrandpaChuck

    thanatoid Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote in

    > On 17 Sep 2006 03:00:11 GMT, thanatoid
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>GrandpaChuck <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> On 16 Sep 2006 06:56:13 GMT, thanatoid
    >>> <> wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >>> That is a thought worth consideration except it will
    >>> involve drilling two holes through the side of the house
    >>> and then running that cable 8 feet to the BC across the
    >>> bedroom.

    >>Sounds pretty minor to me. I bet you have all the tools.
    >>And a foot long drill bit (if you even need one THAT long
    >>is like 10 bucks.

    > If I am going to do that, why not just connect the hub to
    > that computer via a wire rather than wireless?

    I don't believe it will not make any difference if you use a
    cable or wireless with your BC. The problem lies in the lack of
    processing speed in your BC which is inadequate for listening to
    audio streaming (let alone watching VIDEO webcasts). That's why
    for the use this thread is about, you should forget about the BC
    and plug an audio cable into the Pioneer.

    Now, I COULD be wrong about this, since I do not know much about
    networks - I just happen to think, given the information you
    provided, that it is simply the slow BC causing the problems.
    You have not mentioned any other problems with the network. But
    it COULD be the wireless connection. I have a friend whose moron
    wife started paying $50/month for a DSL so it would "help her
    read her email faster" and he has basically lost his internet
    connection in his office on the floor above since then. So MAYBE
    it is the wireless. But I think it's the BC. You can try a cable
    network connection first, and see what happens.

    BTW, you DO know that most people within about 100 feet of your
    wireless hub (I don't know the layout of your neighborhood) can
    use your "wireless" to get on the net for free? And with a
    little know-how, get inside your systems? That's one of the many
    reasons I am not too crazy about wireless, let alone DSL. I'm in
    no hurry. Anyway, another subject.

    <SNIP>

    >>AFA the remote you can get a cheap multi-audio remote from
    >>OneForAll. If it doesn't work with the specific Pioneer
    >>unit you have you can return it. Takes 5 minutes to find
    >>out.

    > Been there; done that. The universal remote that worked on
    > it before doesn't anymore. I would almost be willing to bet
    > that when the RadioShack repair center got it they took the
    > cover off before testing and it worked fine. That leads me
    > to the possible conclusion that when the cover was put back
    > on the sensor is misaligned with the tiny window in the
    > case. Next step should be for me to disconnect the power
    > cord, remove the cover, reconnect the power cord and see if
    > the remote works. If it does then it would be a simple task
    > to realign it. At least RadioShack refunded my money I had
    > paid them to send it in.

    You mean you took the receiver to RS for repair ALONG with the
    remote? Was the light on the remote working? It's quite possible
    they screwed up something in the receiver then.

    OTOH, I have cleaned the various remotes I use MANY times.
    Inside, they accumulate grime, cat hairs, tiny potato chip
    pieces and moisture from constant use and need a good washing
    once in a while because the membrane contacts get too gunked up.
    I clean the PC board inside with alcohol or better, a PC board
    cleaner/no-residue electronic contact cleaner, and I was
    everything else in warm soapy water. Let it dry on a paper towel
    in the sun and once completely dry, reassemble. Always works.

    Of course, if your remote does NOTHING (like the light does not
    go on no matter what you press), something MAY have just died in
    it. But they're not that expensive.
    thanatoid, Sep 17, 2006
  19. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On 17 Sep 2006 18:00:16 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >BTW, you DO know that most people within about 100 feet of your
    >wireless hub (I don't know the layout of your neighborhood) can
    >use your "wireless" to get on the net for free? And with a
    >little know-how, get inside your systems? That's one of the many
    >reasons I am not too crazy about wireless, let alone DSL. I'm in
    >no hurry. Anyway, another subject.

    The Netgear wireless hub I am using has two firewalls built in and I
    have one on every computer. When I hooked up the hub I went through
    the procedure with the tech support person at Netgear and he made sure
    it was set up so it is secure. Then he tested it from his end enough
    times to make sure it is working properly.

    That problem about others being able to use your connection through a
    wireless hub if it isn't properly protected was covered in a news
    story by a local television station here quite some time before I
    bought mine. They had a couple of high school kids who knew how to do
    it drive around town to see how often they could use someone else's
    internet connection through their wireless hub. It was pretty amazing
    how often they could hook up.

    I was very happy with my wired hub, but had to go wireless when I
    bought the notebook. Protecting my computers and my internet
    connections were a top priority when I switched.

    Thanks again.
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-
    GrandpaChuck, Sep 17, 2006
  20. GrandpaChuck

    Mike Easter Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:

    > The repeaters that I have been able to find generally cost right
    > around $100;

    I recently shopped and shopped and found an AirLink AP421W access point
    on sale for less than $20. It is ethernet wired to my router as I
    described here earlier.

    That story is chronicled in a 35 msg thread in this group which started
    with this message:

    From: "Mike Easter"
    Subject: Access point shopping
    Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:37:30 -0700

    which snipurl link to the googlegroups archive is
    http://snipurl.com/wkbs

    Like you, I was distressed at the high prices everyone seeemed to want
    for access points during my online shopping.

    Altho' there are some details missing about the quality of your BC's
    connectivity, the hardware sounds quite adequate to produce decent
    streaming audio if it had a good network connection and weren't bogged
    down with some kind of 'background' resource wasting.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2006