A drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by BuckRabbit, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. BuckRabbit

    BuckRabbit Guest

    I think the situation's hopeless but I'll give it a try here.

    I have two encrypted password files stored on a floppy for use in A: drive (A and B).

    One of them (B) will read when I open it with the required program, pwsafe.exe, and is no problem. The other (A) doesn't open but
    the floppy drive just keeps on running endlessly.
    I can't open it, can't copy it elsewhere on the HDD, can't do anything with it.
    Both files have the .dat extension and opening them in notepad they are just a bunch of black squares (hence encrypted) but I
    can't even open (A) with notpad.

    I'm not sure anyone can help me with this, but does someone know of any rescue program or software that I can use to recover the
    file (A) that will not open for me? I lose a lot of hidden usernames & passwords if I can't get access to this file.
    I only tried this pwsafe program because I used to have my passwords etc stored on my HDD until some bright little fucker hacked
    my computer and copied them off me. I have tried to be more secure with this very private information and it just totally fucks me
    off that even this plan looks like it's gonna fail. Is there nothing I can do to keep my data secure! Any useful advice is very
    welcome.

    Many thanks to anyone for assistance with this.

    Buck
    BuckRabbit, Aug 1, 2006

  2. BuckRabbit

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    BuckRabbit wrote:
    > I think the situation's hopeless but I'll give it a try here.
    >
    > I have two encrypted password files stored on a floppy for use in A: drive (A and B).
    >
    > One of them (B) will read when I open it with the required program, pwsafe.exe, and is no problem. The other (A) doesn't open but
    > the floppy drive just keeps on running endlessly.
    > I can't open it, can't copy it elsewhere on the HDD, can't do anything with it.
    > Both files have the .dat extension and opening them in notepad they are just a bunch of black squares (hence encrypted) but I
    > can't even open (A) with notpad.
    >
    > I'm not sure anyone can help me with this, but does someone know of any rescue program or software that I can use to recover the
    > file (A) that will not open for me? I lose a lot of hidden usernames & passwords if I can't get access to this file.
    > I only tried this pwsafe program because I used to have my passwords etc stored on my HDD until some bright little fucker hacked
    > my computer and copied them off me. I have tried to be more secure with this very private information and it just totally fucks me
    > off that even this plan looks like it's gonna fail. Is there nothing I can do to keep my data secure! Any useful advice is very
    > welcome.
    >
    > Many thanks to anyone for assistance with this.
    >
    > Buck

    Subst b: in place of a: and use drive b to simulate a,
    or else physically swap a and b on the cable,
    If none works, i think the floppy has gone to its last
    reward.
    Sjouke Burry, Aug 1, 2006

  3. "Sjouke Burry" <> wrote in message
    > BuckRabbit wrote:
    >> I think the situation's hopeless but I'll give it a try here.
    >>
    >> I have two encrypted password files stored on a floppy for use in A:
    >> drive (A and B).
    >>
    >> One of them (B) will read when I open it with the required program,
    >> pwsafe.exe, and is no problem. The other (A) doesn't open but the floppy
    >> drive just keeps on running endlessly.
    >> I can't open it, can't copy it elsewhere on the HDD, can't do anything
    >> with it.
    >> Both files have the .dat extension and opening them in notepad they are
    >> just a bunch of black squares (hence encrypted) but I can't even open (A)
    >> with notpad.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure anyone can help me with this, but does someone know of any
    >> rescue program or software that I can use to recover the file (A) that
    >> will not open for me? I lose a lot of hidden usernames & passwords if I
    >> can't get access to this file.
    >> I only tried this pwsafe program because I used to have my passwords etc
    >> stored on my HDD until some bright little fucker hacked my computer and
    >> copied them off me. I have tried to be more secure with this very private
    >> information and it just totally fucks me off that even this plan looks
    >> like it's gonna fail. Is there nothing I can do to keep my data secure!
    >> Any useful advice is very welcome.
    >>
    >> Many thanks to anyone for assistance with this.
    >>
    >> Buck

    > Subst b: in place of a: and use drive b to simulate a,
    > or else physically swap a and b on the cable,
    > If none works, i think the floppy has gone to its last
    > reward.

    Have you tried other diskettes? Maybe run ScanDisk on the diskette in
    another drive. It could be a bad sector on the diskette or, a floppy drive
    on its way out.
    0054040905416, Aug 2, 2006