    than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
    burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.
    , Oct 10, 2004

  2. wrote:
    > I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
    > floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
    > the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
    > drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
    > while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
    > it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
    > the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
    > comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
    > message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
    > Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
    > than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
    > burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

    What if you try a different drive?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 10, 2004

  3. TT Guest

    You said the connections are fine...did you turn the drive cable
    around in the back, in case pin 1 is not in line with pin 1 on the
    cable. I have installed lots of FDD's and when i get the cable turned
    around, it seems to work OK, but just won't...most of the time the light
    will stay on all the time as well...other than that-floppy drives are dirt
    cheap-find a used one for less than $10-but I don't know if you have
    anyone nearby that sells used components...even new ones are cheap...

    TT, Oct 10, 2004
  4. Guest

    I could do that but I'd have to buy one. No big deal if I did.

    > wrote:
    >> I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
    >> floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
    >> the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
    >> drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
    >> while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
    >> it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
    >> the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
    >> comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
    >> message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
    >> Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
    >> than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
    >> burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.
    >>

    >What if you try a different drive?
    , Oct 10, 2004
  5. The power light should not come on when a floppy is inserted into the drive.
    Only when the drive is being read from or written to.

    Check you BIOS to make sure that the floppy drive is activated or that the
    correct letter is assigned.

    Go do Device Manager and check out the floppy drive controller and drive is
    working properly.

    Check out another floppy drive. The one installed may be defective.

    Paul

    Atlas Shrugged, Oct 10, 2004
  6. John Dean Guest

    Re: "A" Drive not recognized

    wrote:
    > I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
    > floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
    > the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
    > drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
    > while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
    > it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
    > the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
    > comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
    > message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
    > Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
    > than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
    > burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

    I have different problems with a floppy drive under XP but, again, it is
    one I had included with a new computer build. I've chased this one round
    support groups, Google and anywhere else I can think of. In most cases
    the first (and sometimes only) responses are to check cables, wiring,
    installation etc and try a new drive. What I have *never* seen is
    someone who says 'I have a new machine with a floppy drive and I rune XP
    and everything is fine - all my old floppies can be read and it's simple
    to format and write to new floppies'. In other words, all the solutions
    come from people who haven't actually had the same problem.
    Many solutions are suggested but I think the simples is described in the
    MS Knowledge Base at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309623

    "Windows XP supports formatting only the 1.44MB disk format. Three-mode
    floppy drives (drives that are capable of reading/writing with 720KB,
    1.2MB and 1.44MB 3.5" disks) requires special driver support, and
    support for this feature is not included in Windows XP.

    Some 3mode FD drivers may be installed on PCs with Windows XP by OEMs,
    although Microsoft does not provide the end-user support for 3mode
    drivers. Please contact your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) if
    you have any questions on 3mode drivers."

    Which I take to mean that drives which are restricted to reading /
    writing 1.44MB formats should be OK, but drives with built-in
    versatility are not supported under XP and therefore even 1.44MB
    floppies will not work in such a drive.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, Oct 10, 2004
  7. Grumble69 Guest

    Re: "A" Drive not recognized

    Well I'm one of those people with XP Pro that can't read floppy disks
    either (even though they can be read on other machines). I'm trying
    to shop around and find a drive that's strictly 1.44 to hopefully get
    around this long, drawn out problem. It would be well worth the
    expense. ....if I could find the damn thing. All I'm finding are
    3-mode floppies. Can anyone point me to a drive that's known to work?

    The mind-boggling thing is that ASR requires you to use a floppy. So
    it's really weird that they don't support these devices yet require to
    use them to back-up your data. Microsoft must be run by Catbert these
    days.
    Grumble69, Oct 16, 2004