    must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
    It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
    thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

    joevan, Feb 2, 2009

  2. joevan

    Mike Easter Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
    > must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
    > It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
    > thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

    Do you mean that if you have opened winamp or mediaplayer and try to open
    the .wav from inside the app that it won't open? Do you get an alert?

    Or, do you mean that if you try to clickopen the .wav file that it opens
    with IV instead of something else? What happens when you use Shift R
    click/ Open with - on the .wav?

    If you use a hex editor/reader what does the first part of the file say?
    RIFF(4chars)WAVEfmt - or something else? You can use IV to view the hex.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 3, 2009

  3. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
    > must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
    > It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
    > thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

    Sorry, but without knowing the codec involved and what compression/file
    package type (if any) that's meaningless. Anyone can rename any type of
    file to .wav.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 3, 2009
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:21:07 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
    >> must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
    >> It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
    >> thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

    >Do you mean that if you have opened winamp or mediaplayer and try to open
    >the .wav from inside the app that it won't open? Do you get an alert?
    >
    >Or, do you mean that if you try to clickopen the .wav file that it opens
    >with IV instead of something else? What happens when you use Shift R
    >click/ Open with - on the .wav?
    >
    >If you use a hex editor/reader what does the first part of the file say?
    >RIFF(4chars)WAVEfmt - or something else? You can use IV to view the hex.

    RIFF aGg Wave bext with a mark over the small a. then next line 2 ..
    rbh thunder storm

    joevan, Feb 3, 2009
  5. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:26:35 -0500, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:21:07 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:
    >>> Strange, but the only thing that would open the file was irfanview. I
    >>> must have blocked winamp. Even windows player would not play it.
    >>> It is a file from freesound. I will figure it out eventually but just
    >>> thought someone here may have had a similar problem.

    >>Do you mean that if you have opened winamp or mediaplayer and try to open
    >>the .wav from inside the app that it won't open? Do you get an alert?
    >>
    >>Or, do you mean that if you try to clickopen the .wav file that it opens
    >>with IV instead of something else? What happens when you use Shift R
    >>click/ Open with - on the .wav?
    >>
    >>If you use a hex editor/reader what does the first part of the file say?
    >>RIFF(4chars)WAVEfmt - or something else? You can use IV to view the hex.

    >RIFF aGg Wave bext with a mark over the small a. then next line 2 ..
    >rbh thunder storm

    It works with winamp on my older xp machine, which makes me wonder if
    something I did on the newer xp machine changed something.

    joevan, Feb 3, 2009
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 20:31:30 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 18:40:53 -0500, joevan <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:26:35 -0500, joevan <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>RIFF aGg Wave bext with a mark over the small a. then next line 2 ..
    >>>rbh thunder storm

    >>It works with winamp on my older xp machine, which makes me wonder if
    >>something I did on the newer xp machine changed something.

    >Most likely the problem is your missing the proper codec.

    I did some googling and finally Uninstalled the old and did a fresh
    install. Works now.

    joevan, Feb 4, 2009