A disk read error ???

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by renton79, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. renton79

    renton79 Guest

    Hi

    I've just downloaded trial vversion of windows xp 64-Bit edition and
    tried to install it but after first part of installation (formating and
    copying files on to the hdd) when is first reboot, installation doesn't
    start i got this error:

    A disk read error
    use ctrl+alt+del to reboot

    Disk is fine phisicaly i checked it so i don't know what is the
    problem.

    my spec is:
    amd 4400+ x2
    abit fatal1ty sli an8
    4gb ram
    hdd samsung spinpoint 20gb SV2042H (this is my old hdd just for this
    trial test)

    if any one knows what is the problem please write me back i really
    would like to try 64bit win

    renton79

    renton79, Apr 7, 2006

  2. renton79

    Rick Guest

    Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
    verify, that I know of, that you have a good image. The best thing to
    do is download the image again and burn at a low speed - 4x or 8x.

    Rick, Apr 7, 2006

  3. renton79

    renton79 Guest

    i'll try as you say. thanks

    renton79, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Hello,
    I am not sure this is a burning issue or an iso issue. If I understand
    this correctly we get the error when try to reboot the first time from the
    hard drive.
    If that is correct, we aren't getting to first file to load ( NTLDR).
    We are having issues when trying to boot the hard drive. I would look to
    see if the hard drive was configured with sofware or is using some type of
    emulation software. I would check how the hard drive is configured in the
    bios.( heads, cylinders, sectors per track are not correct or the emulation
    of those are not correct)

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Subject: Re: A disk read error ???
    <Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:57:54 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad download. I have downloaded Vista
    ISO's
    <some refused install when I burn them, simply because of the quality
    media,
    <or the burn speed used as you mentioned. I would recommend renton79 reburn
    <the existing ISO, at a low speed possible, 2x, also, don't burn during a
    lot
    <of activity such as having multiple programs open doing stuff.
    <--
    <--
    <Andre
    <Windows Connected | http://www.windowsconnected.com
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <
    <"Rick" <> wrote in message
    <> Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
    verify,
    <> that I know of, that you have a good image. The best thing to do is
    <> download the image again and burn at a low speed - 4x or 8x.
    <>
    <>
    <> renton79 wrote:
    <>> Hi
    <>>

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Apr 7, 2006
  5. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad download. I have downloaded Vista ISO's

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 7, 2006
  6. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:04:49 +0100, Rick <>
    wrote:

    > Most likely the download is corrupted. There is no way for you to
    > verify, that I know of, that you have a good image.

    There is it's called MD5SUM, if only Microsoft posted MD5SUM's for their
    large downloads, users can check the integrety of their large downloaded
    files.

    As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my homepage...
    http://www.markgillespie.co.uk

    ----------------
    http:\\www.rockhangouts.com
    ------------------------------------

    Mark Gillespie, Apr 7, 2006
  7. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:46:16 +0100, Mark Gillespie
    <> wrote:

    > As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my homepage....
    > http://www.markgillespie.co.uk

    Have updated the MD5 checksum tool on my website to V2, which includes a
    few new features, and a x64 port, which may be of use, as MD5 checking is
    quite CPU intensive, and may benefit from the extra registers x64
    provides. Might benchmark the 2 versions, if I get bored tommorrow... :)

    Mark Gillespie, Apr 8, 2006
  8. renton79

    Rick Guest

    If Microsoft provided the MD5SUM then I would have said to verify your
    download using a program to produce an MD5SUM on the downloaded file and
    compare it to the one Microsoft posted.

    I said I did not know of any way to verify the download because there is
    no reference to compare it to!

    Rick, Apr 8, 2006
  9. renton79

    Rick Guest

    What good is an MD5SUM generator if you have no reference to compare it to?

    You have to have a reference to make a comparison. You can generate
    your own MD5SUM 'til the cows come home, but you won't prove anything
    with out a reference!

    Rick, Apr 8, 2006
  10. On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 15:49:36 +0100, Rick <>
    wrote:

    > What good is an MD5SUM generator if you have no reference to compare it
    > to?
    >
    > You have to have a reference to make a comparison. You can generate
    > your own MD5SUM 'til the cows come home, but you won't prove anything
    > with out a reference!
    >

    > Mark Gillespie wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:46:16 +0100, Mark Gillespie
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As it happens, I have a cheesy MD5SUM checker I wrote on my
    >>> homepage... http://www.markgillespie.co.uk
    >>>

    >> Have updated the MD5 checksum tool on my website to V2, which includes
    >> a few new features, and a x64 port, which may be of use, as MD5
    >> checking is quite CPU intensive, and may benefit from the extra
    >> registers x64 provides. Might benchmark the 2 versions, if I get bored
    >> tommorrow... :)
    >> --Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

    Indeed, which is why in my 1st post, I said "if only Microsoft posted
    MD5SUM's for their large downloads, users can check the integrety of their
    large downloaded files."

    Many companies DO however publish MD5SUM for downlaods.

    Mark Gillespie, Apr 8, 2006
  11. Interesting, thanks for adding the additional possible problems thats
    preventing the install.
    --
    Andre

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 8, 2006
  12. renton79

    renton79 Guest

    well i have downloaded another time trial with normal ie downloader
    different than the first time and burned the slowes way possible and
    nothing changed always get this error
    i have tried many different settings for my hdd nothing helped i tried
    many times installation from the begining and nothing
    any other ideas what can it be ?

    renton79, Apr 9, 2006
  13. Are you getting this error if you try installing another version of Windows
    or Edition of Windows XP? If so, its possible an error with your hard disk
    or you need to do a BIOS update, remove a couple of those memory modules and
    reattempt the install.
    Andre

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 9, 2006
  14. Hi, there are many good suggestions for you there, Darrell has a history of
    pinpointing errors so, let's see if we can combine some of it? I am starting
    to believe the problem is the installation is performed on an older HD. Not
    the age if it but it having been used before. Please, tell us are there any
    bootable partitions on the drive when you begin the installation?

    I think first you should consider checking if there is a BIOS update for
    your Motherboard, then when partitioning the drive, delete anything and
    everything on that drive - partitions and all! Check your BIOS setup for
    installable drives and Bootable drives - these may well reside under
    separate listings in the BIOS setup even though there is only one drive!!!

    If there is any kind of data on that drive that you cannot remove, get a new
    HD and do a fresh install.

    Also, check if your processor needs the AMD processor driver?
    Many have been reporting systems not recognizing all memory above 2.Gig -
    so, try and remove two of your Gig's, this problem seems to be corrected by
    a BIOS update in all events that I can remember, and you can add the RAM
    after the installation completes.

    Is the HD a IDE/ATA drive or is it SATA?

    AND - check your cable to that drive, if it is same age as the drive itself,
    find a replacement.

    Regards, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 9, 2006
  15. renton79

    renton79 Guest

    Hi thanks you all for yours suggestions i have tried everything and i
    finnalay found the problem, it was a hdd cable (i used old one 40pin)
    and now i switched for new 80pin and now it works fine (weird because
    this cable works normaly in old comp)

    but if this can help anyone else so this is good :)

    renton

    renton79, Apr 11, 2006
  16. Ah, yes - the flat cable! Surprisingly often the root of evil. Glad, on your
    behalf.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 11, 2006
  17. Well, you could say Darrell was kinda close in the opposite way. Thanks for
    the update. :)
    Andre

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 12, 2006