A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dashie, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. dashie

    dashie Guest

    And then: nothing. When I had this first, I believe I was able to use
    the F commands to access BIOS setup etc. Not now. This is occurring in
    a laptop (2nd hand, or as some might say - 'preowned') which runs XP.

    [Before the crash today, I couldn't use Windows Update - after allowing
    ActiveX controls to be d/l, the page gave me an unexpected error. So I
    don't know which updates are still to be added to the OS.]

    Additionally, the vendor - a private individual - warned me that the
    laptop did unexpectedly shut down at times, but when I contacted him
    today, he said he'd never seen that message ( I tend to believe him,
    for what it's worth). I don't know if these are related issues, or
    coincidental.

    I cannot get the DVD/CD drive to be recognised, though I have yet to
    try swapping out the drive for the floppy drive which I could do.

    Any ideas, apart from 'take it to a repair guy!'?
    dashie, Sep 10, 2006

  2. dashie

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:25:11 -0700, dashie Has Frothed:

    > And then: nothing. When I had this first, I believe I was able to use the
    > F commands to access BIOS setup etc. Not now. This is occurring in a
    > laptop (2nd hand, or as some might say - 'preowned') which runs XP.
    >
    > [Before the crash today, I couldn't use Windows Update - after allowing
    > ActiveX controls to be d/l, the page gave me an unexpected error. So I
    > don't know which updates are still to be added to the OS.]
    >
    > Additionally, the vendor - a private individual - warned me that the
    > laptop did unexpectedly shut down at times, but when I contacted him
    > today, he said he'd never seen that message ( I tend to believe him, for
    > what it's worth). I don't know if these are related issues, or
    > coincidental.
    >
    > I cannot get the DVD/CD drive to be recognised, though I have yet to try
    > swapping out the drive for the floppy drive which I could do.
    >
    > Any ideas, apart from 'take it to a repair guy!'?

    Smash it with a sledge hammer.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 10, 2006

  3. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Any one have anything helpful to add (as in the 'helpdesk' part of the
    groups name)?

    I'm thinking maybe a new harddrive might be required, but I don't have
    enough to go on (though I am far from being an expert).

    dashie, Sep 11, 2006
  4. dashie

    Ron Martell Guest

    "dashie" <> wrote:

    >And then: nothing. When I had this first, I believe I was able to use
    >the F commands to access BIOS setup etc. Not now. This is occurring in
    >a laptop (2nd hand, or as some might say - 'preowned') which runs XP.
    >
    >[Before the crash today, I couldn't use Windows Update - after allowing
    >ActiveX controls to be d/l, the page gave me an unexpected error. So I
    >don't know which updates are still to be added to the OS.]
    >
    >Additionally, the vendor - a private individual - warned me that the
    >laptop did unexpectedly shut down at times, but when I contacted him
    >today, he said he'd never seen that message ( I tend to believe him,
    >for what it's worth). I don't know if these are related issues, or
    >coincidental.
    >
    >I cannot get the DVD/CD drive to be recognised, though I have yet to
    >try swapping out the drive for the floppy drive which I could do.
    >
    >Any ideas, apart from 'take it to a repair guy!'?

    If there is nothing happening, not even the initial Power On Self Test
    (which is what allows you to access the BiOS setup) then there almost
    certainly has been a major failure in the CPU or Motherboard.

    I assume you are using the laptop with the power cord plugged in, so
    as to eliminate battery failure as a possible cause.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Sep 11, 2006
  5. dashie

    dashie Guest

    > there almost certainly has been a major failure in the CPU or Motherboard.

    You know what - this may be true. The original shutting down
    unexpectedly issue - which I was gonna try to investigate once I'd
    updated the laptop to be safe on the net - may have been a faulty fan
    issue. So, I guess, having spent a good 3 or so hours of intensive use
    today, that the cpu may have died, through overheating.

    So my problem now becomes - how do I verify this, and get a replacement
    chip? Well, I guess Im gonna be going to my local expert help shops
    tomorrow.

    Any other thoughts? (Thanks, Ron).

    dashie, Sep 11, 2006
  6. dashie

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:56:20 -0700, dashie Has Frothed:

    > Subject: Re: A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart
    > From: "dashie" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 10 Sep 2006 19:56:20 -0700
    >

    >> there almost certainly has been a major failure in the CPU or
    >> Motherboard.

    > You know what - this may be true. The original shutting down unexpectedly
    > issue - which I was gonna try to investigate once I'd updated the laptop
    > to be safe on the net - may have been a faulty fan issue. So, I guess,
    > having spent a good 3 or so hours of intensive use today, that the cpu may
    > have died, through overheating.
    >
    > So my problem now becomes - how do I verify this, and get a replacement
    > chip? Well, I guess Im gonna be going to my local expert help shops
    > tomorrow.
    >
    > Any other thoughts?

    Beat it with a baseball bat.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 11, 2006
  7. dashie

    Bob Guest

    Have you tried doing any firmware or BIOS updates? Have you done virus
    scans?

    On the other hand my daughters HP did that sort of crash quite a bit. The
    problem was one of the two cooling fans died and HP replaced the whole
    motherboard - the hard drive was okay. The unfortunate thing is I never did
    hear what the problem was. Anyway, problem solved. Baseball bat or sledge
    hammer is not a viable solution.

    Cheers ... Bob

    Bob, Sep 12, 2006
  8. dashie

    dashie Guest

    Well, the laptop is in the repair shop right now, and I am gonna get an
    update from them shortly. I believe we'll be told something like what
    you've said - only I hope the whole M/B aint a goner. I'm just
    wondering where will they find a compatible CPU (assuming, hopefully,
    that that is the only part that gets replaced)? The old processor (an
    Intel Mobile PIII 900mHz) isnt made any more - at least, I cant seem t
    find it in online shops - so they have to locate a chip that will work
    on the M/B.

    Chers matey -

    John

    dashie, Sep 12, 2006