  1. Hello, I am now in Oman and can make great shots of desert life here.
    Also, I can make shots of really exotic places around the world. Please
    email me at:

    NeoRenArtStudio, Nov 9, 2005

  2. NeoRenArtStudio

    223rem Guest

    NeoRenArtStudio wrote:
    > Hello, I am now in Oman and can make great shots of desert life here.

    Watch your head!

    223rem, Nov 9, 2005

  3. NeoRenArtStudio

    Steven Wandy Guest

    >> Hello, I am now in Oman and can make great shots of desert life here.
    >

    > Watch your head!

    My thoughts exactly :)

    Steven Wandy, Nov 9, 2005
  4. NeoRenArtStudio

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:47:10 GMT, "Steven Wandy" <>
    wrote:

    >>> Hello, I am now in Oman and can make great shots of desert life here.

    >> Watch your head!

    >My thoughts exactly :)

    Both wrong - Watch the camera...

    Donald Gray, Nov 9, 2005
  5. NeoRenArtStudio wrote:
    > Hello, I am now in Oman and can make great shots of desert life here.
    > Also, I can make shots of really exotic places around the world. Please
    > email me at:

    I wrote a long reply to your post but unfortunately closed the window
    before hitting *post*. Well, you've landed in one of my favourite
    places on earth. Oman is a beautiful land be it the coasts, the
    Al-Hajar mountain range, the green mountain (Jebel Al Akhdar) or Wahiba
    Sands or the old forts. Don't lend a ear to what people say about
    Islamic nations. Omanis are very friendly and VERY helpful people. If
    you stop on a rural road each car that passes by will wave, then stop
    and ask if you need any help. I've been guided out of a village to
    another by people who understood no english at all, that is, someone
    accompanied me from one village to the other when I lost my way alone
    in the rural areas. In another village, we stopped at a high hill
    overlooking the village. A few villagers came by and welcomed us to
    some coffee and dates. If you are a city dweller then the place will
    warn your heart in more than one way.

    Exploring Oman, you will find many beautiful places to shoot. Lookup
    the "Oman Today" magazine and its past issues at the www.apexstuff.com
    site. They have a feature every month on places to explore in Oman. If
    you have a US or UK driving license then you can rent a 4x4 and travel
    by yourself. Beware, don't travel to Wahiba sands alone or even in a
    single vehicle. Every year some foreigners die in Wahiba sands because
    their vehicle gets stuck in the desert and they have no backup 4x4.

    Unfortunately, when I was in Oman I had just started shooting and had
    nothing more than a 1.3MP cheap taiwanese camera. But I still shot
    plenty with it sometimes setting out by myself for day's journey to the
    interiors of Oman.

    All said and done, Oman is a place VERY difficult to capture on mute
    images alone!!

    Enjoy. I will upload some photos that I took in Oman.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 9, 2005
  6. NeoRenArtStudio

    Peter Guest

    2005-11-09, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > before hitting *post*. Well, you've landed in one of my favourite
    > places on earth. Oman is a beautiful land be it the coasts, the
    > Al-Hajar mountain range, the green mountain (Jebel Al Akhdar) or Wahiba
    > Sands or the old forts. Don't lend a ear to what people say about

    Yes! I lived in Al-Ain for a few years, that's in the Emirates but is
    joined to Buraimi, wich is Oman. At the time there was no border, maybe
    that has changed.

    Beautiful area, and very friendly people! I wonder what it is like now...

    -peter

    Peter, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Peter wrote:
    > 2005-11-09, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > >
    > > before hitting *post*. Well, you've landed in one of my favourite
    > > places on earth. Oman is a beautiful land be it the coasts, the
    > > Al-Hajar mountain range, the green mountain (Jebel Al Akhdar) or Wahiba
    > > Sands or the old forts. Don't lend a ear to what people say about

    > Yes! I lived in Al-Ain for a few years, that's in the Emirates but is
    > joined to Buraimi, wich is Oman. At the time there was no border, maybe
    > that has changed.
    >
    > Beautiful area, and very friendly people! I wonder what it is like now...
    >
    > -peter

    I left Oman in december 2003. Muscat was like any other city with
    people busy about their lives and new constructions coming up
    everywhere. But the rural areas seemed to pretty much stay as they
    were. I travelled from Sur to Muscat on the gravel coastal road. The
    drive was simple awesome. The blue sea runs right along the road and
    the land is light yellow in colour. En-route, the village of Tiwi is
    nice place to stop by. We stopped at the ruins of the tomb of Bibi
    Miriam but I couldn't find much about the history of the tomb.

    I also rummaged the net to find a VERY interesting account of the
    revolt in Jebel Al Akhdar in the 1950s. Let me know if you are
    interested in reading it.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 10, 2005
  8. NeoRenArtStudio

    Donald Gray Guest

    On 9 Nov 2005 15:56:01 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
    <> wrote:
    .. Well, you've landed in one of my favourite
    >places on earth. Oman is a beautiful land be it the coasts, the
    >Al-Hajar mountain range, the green mountain (Jebel Al Akhdar) or Wahiba
    >Sands or the old forts. Don't lend a ear to what people say about
    >Islamic nations. Omanis are very friendly and VERY helpful people.

    I totally agree with you. It was I who posted the bit about "Watch
    the Camera" . Had the country been UK, USA or anywhere, I would have
    sill made the same comment. It was in jest and no inference to Arabs
    or Islam intended.

    In 1960, I lived in the Trucial Oman for a year when it was called
    that, long before oil etc...

    I had regular contact with the TOS (Trucial Oman Scouts) - I remember
    the road between Dubai and Sharjah was just hard packed sand. Only 4wd
    vehicles could make it! No air conditioning etc.

    I still remember very fondly, many of my Omani friends especially a
    goldsmith who operated from a tiny barusti (sp?) hut - I remember the
    times of going to the TOS stables and taking a horse bareback 5 miles
    to the sea for a swim & then the gallop back again....

    In those days, you could almost walk around Sharjah in 10 minutes
    Dubai was a super place but only roads were sand.

    I would love to visit again now BUT would the skyscrapers, motorways,
    Hilton Hotels, Golf Clubs etc burst the 'romantic bubble' of my
    memories of yesteryear? I really did enjoy the beauty of the open
    desert. I did go across the mountains to Muscat where the TOS army
    beat the pants of the Brits in a rifle shoot competition

    We used to go swimming in one of the creeks between Dubai and Sharjah
    "Kahn Creek" - not sure if that is the right name - it was about 1/2
    between - Just a natural creek in the empty desert ... I bet it is a
    huge marina with motorway access now.

    Ho Hummm - sorry folks for the OT posting but Siddhartha got my
    nostalgic juices running from memories of 45 years ago - Blame him!

    Donald Gray, Nov 10, 2005
  9. NeoRenArtStudio

    <> wrote:

    >Enjoy. I will upload some photos that I took in Oman.

    See my nostagia posting....
    I look forward to seeing your photos Siddhartha

    Donald Gray, Nov 10, 2005
  10. NeoRenArtStudio

    Peter Guest

    2005-11-10, Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > I left Oman in december 2003. Muscat was like any other city with
    > people busy about their lives and new constructions coming up
    > everywhere. But the rural areas seemed to pretty much stay as they
    > were. I travelled from Sur to Muscat on the gravel coastal road. The

    I was there in 1980-1983,

    > drive was simple awesome. The blue sea runs right along the road and
    > the land is light yellow in colour. En-route, the village of Tiwi is
    > nice place to stop by. We stopped at the ruins of the tomb of Bibi
    > Miriam but I couldn't find much about the history of the tomb.
    >
    > I also rummaged the net to find a VERY interesting account of the
    > revolt in Jebel Al Akhdar in the 1950s. Let me know if you are
    > interested in reading it.

    Yes, very much!

    Thanks,
    -peter

    Peter, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Peter wrote:
    > 2005-11-10, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
    > >
    > > I left Oman in december 2003. Muscat was like any other city with
    > > people busy about their lives and new constructions coming up
    > > everywhere. But the rural areas seemed to pretty much stay as they
    > > were. I travelled from Sur to Muscat on the gravel coastal road. The

    > I was there in 1980-1983,
    >
    > > drive was simple awesome. The blue sea runs right along the road and
    > > the land is light yellow in colour. En-route, the village of Tiwi is
    > > nice place to stop by. We stopped at the ruins of the tomb of Bibi
    > > Miriam but I couldn't find much about the history of the tomb.
    > >
    > > I also rummaged the net to find a VERY interesting account of the
    > > revolt in Jebel Al Akhdar in the 1950s. Let me know if you are
    > > interested in reading it.

    > Yes, very much!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -peter

    This is the link:
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1985/MJB.htm
    By John B. Meagher Major USMC

    Its not formatted properly and is a little tedious to read. I
    downloaded it and formatted it in a nice Word document. Email me at
    reach.siddhartha at gmail.com if you want the formatted doc. I tried to
    reach this guy to get his permission to reformat and reprint the
    document but didn't get any reply.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Donald Gray wrote:
    > On 9 Nov 2005 15:56:01 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Enjoy. I will upload some photos that I took in Oman.

    > See my nostagia posting....
    > I look forward to seeing your photos Siddhartha

    Sorry, for the delay Donald. It took me some time to sort the photos
    and upload them. Unfortunately, some were taken in a low-res mode from
    my 1.3MP camera so are a bit crappy. Anyways, I must thank you because
    I have been procrastinating the job of uploading and tagging these
    photos with meaningful comments for a long long time (since 2003 end).
    Here are the photographs:
    http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/957553

    I am yet to finish the job of adding comments to each of the photos.
    All the Jebel Al Akhdar and Sharfat Al Alamyn trip photos are untagged.

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Nov 11, 2005
  13. NeoRenArtStudio

    Donald Gray Guest

    On 11 Nov 2005 12:42:42 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
    <> wrote:

    >Donald Gray wrote:
    >> On 9 Nov 2005 15:56:01 -0800, "Siddhartha Jain"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Enjoy. I will upload some photos that I took in Oman.

    >> See my nostagia posting....
    >> I look forward to seeing your photos Siddhartha

    >Sorry, for the delay Donald. It took me some time to sort the photos
    >and upload them. Unfortunately, some were taken in a low-res mode from
    >my 1.3MP camera so are a bit crappy. Anyways, I must thank you because
    >I have been procrastinating the job of uploading and tagging these
    >photos with meaningful comments for a long long time (since 2003 end).
    >Here are the photographs:
    >http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/957553
    >
    >I am yet to finish the job of adding comments to each of the photos.
    >All the Jebel Al Akhdar and Sharfat Al Alamyn trip photos are untagged.

    Thanks Siddhartha for putting them up - I thoroughly enjoyed the
    travelogue. Some wonerful memories...

    Here is a site that gives a flavour of Sharjah in the 1963, about 3
    years after I was there....The old days....
    http://www.harrys-stuff.com/arab-gulf-sharjah/sharjah.php

    Donald Gray, Nov 12, 2005