A different Asterisk & SipDiscount working Configuration (Thanks Sparks)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Jono, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Jono

    Jono Guest

    With loads of help from Sparks, I have a different (from his)
    working Asterisk configuration for Sipdiscount:

    I've tried to turn off wrapping on this post (sorry if it upsets anyone)

    My sip.conf file is now like this:

    [general]

    port = 5060 ; Port to bind to (SIP is 5060)
    bindaddr = 0.0.0.0 ; Address to bind to (all addresses on machine)
    disallow=all
    externip=xxx.xxx.x.x ;public IP address or dyndns name
    localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0 ;network addresses (change to suit)
    allow=ulaw
    allow=alaw
    context = from-sip-external ; Send unknown SIP callers to this context
    callerid = Unknown
    canreinvite=no

    #include sip_nat.conf
    #include sip_custom.conf
    #include sip_additional.conf

    *********************************

    I created a new IAX2 trunk with the follwing settings:

    [sipdiscount]
    username=MySipDiscountUsername
    type=peer
    secret=MySipdiscountPassword
    qualify=yes
    nat=yes
    insecure=very
    host=iax.voipbuster.com
    fromuser=MySipdiscountUsername
    fromdomain=voipbuster.com
    disallow=all
    authuser=MySipdiscountUsername
    allow=ulaw
    allow=alaw

    Note the use of Voipbuster's servers.

    ************************************

    Dial rules on the trunk

    00441234+XXXXXXX ;replace 1234 with your STD minus leading zero also make
    sure the number of X's represent your local number length
    0044+XXXXXXXXXX

    ***********************************

    Outbound Route

    9|XXXXXX ;make sure number of X's represent your local number length
    90|XXXXXXXXXX

    ***********************************

    The ports I have forwarded to Asterisk are as follows:

    5060~5070 UDP
    10000~20000 UDP
    8000~8012 UDP&TCP
    5004~5036 UDP
    3478~3482 UDP&TCP
    4560~4570 UDP&TCP
    2727 UDP

    I can't remember why all these are there
    (it's been done over time for various service providers)

    I hope this helps in the same way Sparks' post helped me.
    Jono, Oct 26, 2005

  2. Jono

    paul123 Guest

    Hi Jono,

    Thanks to your posts with Sparks (and further to my earlier post), I've
    now got my sipdiscount account working - with a couple of changes.

    For some reason, my aah doesn't seem to resolve dnss... so i just put
    the IP addresses instead. So instead of the lines:
    host=iax.voipbuster.com
    fromdomain=voipbuster.com
    I put:
    host=213.61.187.147
    fromdomain=83.138.185.216
    and it works fine. Thanks!

    Paul
    paul123, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Jono

    Jono Guest

    "paul123" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Jono,
    >
    > Thanks to your posts with Sparks (and further to my earlier post), I've
    > now got my sipdiscount account working - with a couple of changes.
    >
    > For some reason, my aah doesn't seem to resolve dnss... so i just put
    > the IP addresses instead. So instead of the lines:
    > host=iax.voipbuster.com
    > fromdomain=voipbuster.com
    > I put:
    > host=213.61.187.147
    > fromdomain=83.138.185.216
    > and it works fine. Thanks!
    >
    > Paul

    Cool.
    Jono, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Jono

    paul123 Guest

    Hmmm, as of today those IPs are unreachable... but changing them to:

    fromdomain=83.138.185.232
    host=213.61.187.146

    and it works again! These are the IPs for sipdiscount.com and
    sip.sipdiscount.com

    Paul
    paul123, Nov 3, 2005
  5. Jono

    Jono Guest

    paul123 wrote:
    || Hmmm, as of today those IPs are unreachable... but changing them to:
    || fromdomain=83.138.185.232
    || host=213.61.187.146
    || and it works again! These are the IPs for sipdiscount.com and
    || sip.sipdiscount.com
    || Paul

    Nad can you still not use the addrss itself? Are you still having to use the
    IP addy?
    Jono, Nov 3, 2005
  6. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Jono wrote:
    || Nad can you still not use the addrss itself? Are you still having to
    || use the IP addy?

    Nad=and
    Jono, Nov 3, 2005
  7. Jono

    paul123 Guest

    yeah Jono,

    for some reason, my aah box doesn't like domain names....just IP
    addies.....prolly something I haven't done right.

    Hang on to yer nads ;)

    Cheers

    paul123, Nov 3, 2005
  10. Jono

    Scope Guest

    Re: A different Asterisk & SipDiscount working Configuration (ThanksSparks)

    paul123 wrote:
    > yeah Jono,
    >
    > for some reason, my aah box doesn't like domain names....just IP
    > addies.....prolly something I haven't done right.
    >
    > Hang on to yer nads ;)
    >
    > Cheers

    Make sure you DNS server is set correctly.. Thats what will look up the
    IP from the domain name.
    Scope, Nov 3, 2005
  11. Jono

    alexd Guest

    Scope wrote:

    > paul123 wrote:
    >> yeah Jono,
    >>
    >> for some reason, my aah box doesn't like domain names....just IP
    >> addies.....prolly something I haven't done right.

    > Make sure you DNS server is set correctly.. Thats what will look up the
    > IP from the domain name.

    have a look at /etc/resolv.conf

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:22:41 up 1 day, 11:57, 3 users, load average: 0.65, 0.31, 0.23
    alexd, Nov 4, 2005
  12. Jono

    paul123 Guest

    alexd wrote:
    > Scope wrote:
    >
    > > paul123 wrote:
    > >> yeah Jono,
    > >>
    > >> for some reason, my aah box doesn't like domain names....just IP
    > >> addies.....prolly something I haven't done right.

    > > Make sure you DNS server is set correctly.. Thats what will look up the
    > > IP from the domain name.

    > have a look at /etc/resolv.conf

    Thanks Scope and Alexd.

    I added the relevant IPs to the /etc/hosts file and that's fine now!
    Great.

    Paul
    paul123, Nov 4, 2005
  13. Jono

    paul123 Guest

    Just to add to my last post. The IP addresses I got were from pinging
    each domain. In etc/hosts, after the 127.0.01 asterisk1.local asterisk1
    localhost line, I added:

    213.61.187.157 sip.sipdiscount.com
    83.138.185.232 sipdiscount.com

    With that, the sipdiscount trunk worked fine. Great, fantastic and
    shoulda been end of story.

    But, and here comes the bit I don't quite follow. Just tinkering
    further, I also changed my voipbuster trunk host from an IP address to
    iax.voipbuster.com (without an entry in hosts), and it worked!? Huh?
    Didn't work before on that, but now it does!

    A further point that's probably relevant - pinging iax.voipbuster
    reveals the same IP address as sip.sipdiscount.com - 213.61.187.157

    Just a little more than confused, but glad it's all working! Thanks
    again.

    Paul
    paul123, Nov 4, 2005