    installed.

    Any help appreciated.

    TIA
    Rose Bush, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Rose Bush

    Senti Guest

    Rose Bush did mumble ...

    > I was doing my usual weekly cleaning/maintenance routine (clean out
    > old files, scandisk, defrag) and everything went well until defrag.
    > It stays on 0%, checking drive, with the drive light on steady. I let
    > it sit for over 2 hours, and it never moved off of 0%. Ran
    > virus/trojan checks, both negative. I'm running W98SE, all updates
    > installed.

    Try running defrag in Safe Mode.

    How to get into Safe Mode:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;180902&Product=w98
    TinyURL:
    http://tinyurl.com/2s7vx
    --
    ~SF~
    In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he
    Senti, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Rose Bush

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:15:39 -0600, Rose Bush <>
    wrote:
    >I was doing my usual weekly cleaning/maintenance routine (clean out
    >old files, scandisk, defrag) and everything went well until defrag.
    >It stays on 0%, checking drive, with the drive light on steady. I let
    >it sit for over 2 hours, and it never moved off of 0%. Ran
    >virus/trojan checks, both negative. I'm running W98SE, all updates
    >installed.
    >
    >Any help appreciated.
    >
    >TIA

    First click start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, General Tab,
    Delete Temporary Internet Files (Including off-line), then empty the
    recycle bin, and the C:\Windows\Temp folder.

    Then, boot up in the safe mode and defrag from there.

    You might want to try the newer 32bit Version 4.90.3000
    that comes with Windows ME. It is fully compatible with Win 95/98/98SE.
    http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/defrag.exe
    http://www.sandylee.net/downloads/winme_defrag.exe
    Unk, Feb 2, 2004
  4. doing a defrag from the command prompt with a verbose output might help a
    bit :)
    crazeefool999, Feb 3, 2004