A decent E-Mail client

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Al, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Al

    Al Guest

    Hi,
    I'm look for advice on a decent E-Mail client that isn't bloated with junk,
    and I prefer not to use Mozilla. I'd like maybe 3 features, a address book
    that is easy to use, as in importing from OE. A notifier, and a clean
    interface.

    I have bought POCO Mail, but their support is the worst if not non existant.
    It takes them up to 10 days to respond to a simple question, god only know
    how long it would take them if they had to think. Their address book is
    such, that if you delete 1 name, they ALL go away. I requested a refund
    (politely), and have asked for a status report, you guessed it, no answer.
    If this program was free I wouldn't care so much, but it wasn't. My advice
    to you is DON'T buy it. I have Incredimail again, I paid for it, but
    something keeps happening and it just disappears or will not work saying a
    file is missing after running fine for an hour or so.

    I don't care if the client you recommend is free or not, I'm just looking
    for a easy to use program.

    Thanks,
    Al

    Al, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Al

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Al said:

    > Hi,
    > I'm look for advice on a decent E-Mail client that isn't bloated with junk,
    > and I prefer not to use Mozilla. I'd like maybe 3 features, a address book
    > that is easy to use, as in importing from OE. A notifier, and a clean
    > interface.
    >
    > I have bought POCO Mail, but their support is the worst if not non existant.
    > It takes them up to 10 days to respond to a simple question, god only know
    > how long it would take them if they had to think. Their address book is
    > such, that if you delete 1 name, they ALL go away. I requested a refund
    > (politely), and have asked for a status report, you guessed it, no answer.
    > If this program was free I wouldn't care so much, but it wasn't. My advice
    > to you is DON'T buy it. I have Incredimail again, I paid for it, but
    > something keeps happening and it just disappears or will not work saying a
    > file is missing after running fine for an hour or so.
    >
    > I don't care if the client you recommend is free or not, I'm just looking
    > for a easy to use program.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Al

    Why not stay with OE if you are having bad experiences with other software?

    Brian H¹©, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Al

    Mara Guest

    http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm

    --
    Two minutes is, to me, 2 minutes too many. Trolls thrive on
    attention... starve them, and they die pathetic, lonely little deaths.

    Mara, Dec 14, 2003
  4. It was on Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:36:15 -0800, just as I was halfway through a

    Forte Agent:- http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download-all.php
    --
    Linux User #: 305646.
    SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

    William Poaster, Dec 14, 2003
  5. Al

    Alain Beguin Guest

    Alain Beguin, Dec 14, 2003
  6. Al

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:46:03 +0100, Alain Beguin wrote:

    >"Mara" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :
    >
    >> http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm

    >Indeed, for me the same :)
    >
    >I use Pegasus mail since years, in between I tryed almost everything
    >but always came back to Pegasus.
    >
    >Try it l-)

    I believe you misunderstood my post. The OP wanted an easy-to-use client.
    Pegasus is free, and IMHO easy to use for what the OP wants. I personally use
    Forte Agent in Windows and Pan in Linux. :) I don't use Agent because it's free
    (it isn't) or easy to use (some of the configuration settings can be confusing
    at first,) but because it's the best client I've ever used in Windows, bar none.
    For both mail and news.

    "I think I've tried them all, at one point or another, and these are the two I
    choose."

    Mara, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Al

    Alain Beguin Guest

    "Mara" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:46:03 +0100, Alain Beguin wrote:
    >
    >> "Mara" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :
    >>
    >>> http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm

    >> Indeed, for me the same :)
    >>
    >> I use Pegasus mail since years, in between I tryed almost everything
    >> but always came back to Pegasus.
    >>
    >> Try it l-)

    > I believe you misunderstood my post. The OP wanted an easy-to-use client.
    > Pegasus is free, and IMHO easy to use for what the OP wants. I personally use
    > Forte Agent in Windows and Pan in Linux. :) I don't use Agent because it's
    > free (it isn't) or easy to use (some of the configuration settings can be
    > confusing at first,) but because it's the best client I've ever used in
    > Windows, bar none. For both mail and news.

    Hello again, Mara,

    This was my first posting in this group, so, please, be indulgent :)

    I still fully agree with your saying that Forte Agent is one, if not,
    the best Newsclient.
    For myself, I discovered MesNews, as you probably see in my headers ans
    since this summer I don't use Agent anymore.
    MesNews is also not so easy to begin with, configuration is
    very...French but it's a nice programm, written in Delphi and it
    does'nt take very much space on my disk.

    My best regards to the group and I hope to post what more here, if
    possible. :)

    Bye,

    Alain

    --
    Alain Beguin
    mailto: http://cerbermail.com/?XiEiqwImaa

    Alain Beguin, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Al

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:39:47 +0100, Alain Beguin wrote:

    >"Mara" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :

    <snip>
    >> I believe you misunderstood my post. The OP wanted an easy-to-use client.
    >> Pegasus is free, and IMHO easy to use for what the OP wants. I personally use
    >> Forte Agent in Windows and Pan in Linux. :) I don't use Agent because it's
    >> free (it isn't) or easy to use (some of the configuration settings can be
    >> confusing at first,) but because it's the best client I've ever used in
    >> Windows, bar none. For both mail and news.

    >Hello again, Mara,
    >
    >This was my first posting in this group, so, please, be indulgent :)

    ;)

    >I still fully agree with your saying that Forte Agent is one, if not,
    >the best Newsclient.
    >For myself, I discovered MesNews, as you probably see in my headers ans
    >since this summer I don't use Agent anymore.
    >MesNews is also not so easy to begin with, configuration is
    >very...French but it's a nice programm, written in Delphi and it
    >does'nt take very much space on my disk.

    I kind of thought that English might not be your first language. Is that
    correct?

    As for me, I don't care about easy, I care about security. And reliability. :)

    >My best regards to the group and I hope to post what more here, if
    >possible. :)

    One quick tip - always be careful to try to address your posts to the proper
    poster. In this particular case, you probably should have addressed your first
    post to Al and not to me, as he was the one looking for the program. No biggie,
    though. Just a friendly tip.

    Here are some links that may help you:

    http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.1
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote1.html#ss1.1
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/
    http://www.user.fast.net/~acheson/policies/netiquette.html
    http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nnqlinks.html
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    "Best of luck. :)"

    --
    "Here, Outlook Express, run this program." "Okay, stranger."
    --Clifto, nanae

    Mara, Dec 14, 2003
  9. Al

    Jeff Smtih Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:46:03 +0100, Alain Beguin wrote:
    >
    > >"Mara" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :
    > >
    > >> http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm

    > >Indeed, for me the same :)
    > >
    > >I use Pegasus mail since years, in between I tryed almost everything
    > >but always came back to Pegasus.
    > >
    > >Try it l-)

    > I believe you misunderstood my post. The OP wanted an easy-to-use client.
    > Pegasus is free, and IMHO easy to use for what the OP wants. I personally

    use
    > Forte Agent in Windows and Pan in Linux. :)

    You ever try evolution for linux ? its pretty nice if you ask me :)

    Jeff Smtih, Dec 14, 2003
  10. Al

    Alain Beguin Guest

    "Mara" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :

    > I kind of thought that English might not be your first language. Is that
    > correct?

    Yhat is correct, in Belgium we speak French and Dutch but back in the
    sixties I worked in the US on Long Island for a year,so English is my
    third language. (I translated MesNews from French to Dutch)

    > One quick tip - always be careful to try to address your posts to the proper
    > poster. In this particular case, you probably should have addressed your
    > first post to Al and not to me, as he was the one looking for the program. No
    > biggie, though. Just a friendly tip.

    Of course and I know that, but the reply was gone when I saw it :-(
    sorry for that.

    > Here are some links that may help you:
    >
    > http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html
    > http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html
    > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.1
    > http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote1.html#ss1.1
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/munging-address/
    > http://www.user.fast.net/~acheson/policies/netiquette.html
    > http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nnqlinks.html
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
    >
    > "Best of luck. :)"

    Tnx !

    Alain

    Alain Beguin, Dec 14, 2003
  11. Al

    °Mike° Guest

    The Bat!
    http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 05:36:15 -0800, in
    <>
    Al scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 14, 2003
  12. Al wrote:

    > I'm look for advice on a decent E-Mail client that isn't bloated with
    > junk,

    Pegasus Mail. http://pmail.com

    Freeware. Support is essentially via Usenet -- look for the pegasus
    group with ms-windows in the name. Used to be there; don't remember the
    exact name. It's a good group.

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 4892F
    [still no new sig]

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 14, 2003
  13. Al

    Mara Guest

    On 14 Dec 2003 20:27:20 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Al wrote:
    >
    >> I'm look for advice on a decent E-Mail client that isn't bloated with
    >> junk,

    >Pegasus Mail. http://pmail.com
    >
    >Freeware. Support is essentially via Usenet -- look for the pegasus
    >group with ms-windows in the name. Used to be there; don't remember the
    >exact name. It's a good group.

    comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows

    Mara, Dec 14, 2003
  14. Al

    trout Guest

    Alain Beguin wrote:
    <snip>

    > My best regards to the group and I hope to post what more here, if
    > possible. :)
    >
    > Bye,
    >
    > Alain

    May I ask you a favour? Would you please select a different
    'privacy.net' number to use in this newsgroup?
    Since I post *there* infrequently, I changed *my* account for a.c.f.
    since you use it there; but I've been using '2' for quite a while in
    this group and usually have no problem finding 'replies to my messages'.
    --
    "Thank you."

    trout, Dec 14, 2003
  15. Al

    Alain Beguin Guest

    "trout" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :

    > May I ask you a favour? Would you please select a different
    > 'privacy.net' number to use in this newsgroup?
    > Since I post *there* infrequently, I changed *my* account for a.c.f.
    > since you use it there; but I've been using '2' for quite a while in
    > this group and usually have no problem finding 'replies to my messages'.

    OK? ;-)

    Alain Beguin, Dec 14, 2003
  16. Al

    trout Guest

    Alain Beguin wrote:

    > "trout" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :
    >
    >> May I ask you a favour? Would you please select a different
    >> 'privacy.net' number to use in this newsgroup?
    >> Since I post *there* infrequently, I changed *my* account for
    >> a.c.f. since you use it there; but I've been using '2' for quite a
    >> while in this group and usually have no problem finding 'replies to
    >> my messages'.

    > OK? ;-)

    Thanks, very much.
    --
    "I haven't seen 'Slumpy' in a couple of weeks, but hey; he changes all
    the time, anyway."

    trout, Dec 14, 2003
  17. Al

    Brian H¹© Guest

    trout said:

    > Alain Beguin wrote:
    >
    >> "trout" a écrit/schreef/wrote le/op/on 14/12/2003 :
    >>
    >>> May I ask you a favour? Would you please select a different
    >>> 'privacy.net' number to use in this newsgroup?
    >>> Since I post *there* infrequently, I changed *my* account for
    >>> a.c.f. since you use it there; but I've been using '2' for quite a
    >>> while in this group and usually have no problem finding 'replies to
    >>> my messages'.

    >> OK? ;-)

    > Thanks, very much.

    Er, if there are only 9 numbers that can be used, what happens when a couple of
    dozen people start using "privacy"?

    Brian H¹©, Dec 14, 2003
  18. Al

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > trout said:
    >
    >> Alain Beguin wrote:

    >>> OK? ;-)

    >> Thanks, very much.

    > Er, if there are only 9 numbers that can be used, what happens when a
    > couple of dozen people start using "privacy"?

    Murder and mayhem. Actually, there's 10; since "0" can be used.
    Which seems to be more than enough for now. For the casual Usenet
    poster; there's no reason to use a number at all, really. You see a*lot*
    of different people using just for a few posts.
    As for duplication in groups, it's fairly infrequent. In picking a
    number, I've Googled it up a few times; and 'this' group has to have one
    of the highest uses of *different* numbers that I've seen. And there are
    still a couple that have rarely, if ever, been used.
    --
    "Damn trouble-maker."

    trout, Dec 14, 2003
  19. I have used agent for years and have loved it. As a beta-tester for
    Forte Agent I will advise you to wait for the new 2.0 version to come
    out. When finished it should have some great new features. In my
    opinion it is the best on the market.

    Now with that said I must confess that I am currently using Eudora for
    my day to day email as it will handles multiple email accounts.
    (Agent hopefully will be adding this feature) I have been satisifed
    with Eudora although the inteface and operation is a bit odd. Eudora
    is good, but if you can wait I would definaltely check out the New
    Agent when it previews.

    Little Fish in a Big Pond, Dec 14, 2003
  20. Al

    gangle Guest