A day at my office PC

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GordonB, Jul 6, 2010.

  1. GordonB

    GordonB Guest

    Hi All
    I like my job, I like the company I work for, but I hate the guy who
    does our IT, I'll get to the problem in a minute but first let me tell you a
    little bit about our IT guy, he's a big fat useless dick, who I despise with
    gusto, why? 1. He's lazy, 2. He keeps his job because his father is a good
    friend of my boss, 3. He comes to the rescue about a day or two after we
    have a problem and every problem is fixed by him replacing something
    expensive and taking the old part away, which I recon he sells on becasue
    there is nothing wrong with it. Oh I could go on but I want to tell you my
    problem.

    My PC is in a different building to the main offices, I am in the
    engineering workshop. Every morning I come into work and this is how I start
    my PC (in the other offices all is good)

    1. unplug Ethernet cable. also aerial (reason for Arial to follow) 2. Start
    PC, 3. sign in, 4. Plug aerial in, 5. Plug cable in, 6. Press "ok" to a
    message telling me I am not connected to server, 7. Right click and refresh
    desktop at which point all my icons appear. PC now works. If I don't follow
    these steps then: 1. PC starts 2. I sign in 3. Nothing happens for ever just
    the egg timer.

    Now if the aerial isn't plugged in I can't get onto Google, but I can get on
    to some web pages (this one makes me smile, I wonder why), with the aerial
    in, surfing is slow but I can get to anywhere on the net. with the cable
    unplugged I can do anything but not get onto the server and cannot save
    anything at all.

    More info if needed but I need to put this right, I have a fair amount of
    knowledge about PC's but networking is to me not something I have to do so I
    never learnt about it. Oh and our IT guy!! He hasn't a clue why this
    happens. everything was ok until he installed a £9k server which runs 8 PC's
    another reason I hate him, he rips my company off big style but my boss cant
    see it...The reason I want to fix this problem is he's a dick, no help and
    it's bugging me that I have to have this bloody ritual every day. Please
    help, if you feel it's more complicated than a few ticks in boxes or change
    a few settings then I think I better leave it alone, if it has anything to
    do with the server (all the other PC's work fine) then I will leave it
    alone, but if it's just the PC I work on then I don't care, if I screw it up
    maybe that will be a good thing in a round about way.

    Cheers

    Gordon

    GordonB, Jul 6, 2010

  2. GordonB

    Mike Easter Guest

    GordonB wrote:

    > 1. unplug Ethernet cable. also aerial (reason for Arial to follow) 2.
    > Start PC, 3. sign in, 4. Plug aerial in, 5. Plug cable in, 6. Press
    > "ok" to a message telling me I am not connected to server, 7. Right
    > click and refresh desktop at which point all my icons appear. PC now
    > works. If I don't follow these steps then: 1. PC starts 2. I sign in 3.
    > Nothing happens for ever just the egg timer.

    I don't understand what this 'aerial' is all about - what its purpose is
    if you are ethernetted to the router.

    You need to describe what I call your network topology, what is
    connecting on your computer to what else in the network/s. For example
    the ethernet to the company router and the wireless to what? some other
    network?

    > Now if the aerial isn't plugged in I can't get onto Google, but I can
    > get on to some web pages (this one makes me smile, I wonder why), with
    > the aerial in, surfing is slow but I can get to anywhere on the net.
    > with the cable unplugged I can do anything but not get onto the server
    > and cannot save anything at all.

    I think of an 'aerial' as an antenna which is related to a radio which
    is related to wireless connectivity.

    Your headers indicate that you are Vista here, if you are Vista on the
    office computer, you can see if there are two different connectivities,
    one wireless and one ethernet and what they are connected to.

    In Vista, you would use the CP controlpanel/ Network and Sharing Center
    to examine the connectivities.

    It sounds like your company router via ethernet might have some kind of
    firewall limitation to your free access to the WAN, and/but your
    wireless is accessing something else.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 6, 2010

  3. GordonB

    GordonB Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > GordonB wrote:
    >
    >> 1. unplug Ethernet cable. also aerial (reason for Arial to follow) 2.
    >> Start PC, 3. sign in, 4. Plug aerial in, 5. Plug cable in, 6. Press "ok"
    >> to a message telling me I am not connected to server, 7. Right click and
    >> refresh desktop at which point all my icons appear. PC now works. If I
    >> don't follow these steps then: 1. PC starts 2. I sign in 3. Nothing
    >> happens for ever just the egg timer.

    > I don't understand what this 'aerial' is all about - what its purpose is
    > if you are ethernetted to the router.
    >
    > You need to describe what I call your network topology, what is connecting
    > on your computer to what else in the network/s. For example the ethernet
    > to the company router and the wireless to what? some other network?
    >
    >> Now if the aerial isn't plugged in I can't get onto Google, but I can get
    >> on to some web pages (this one makes me smile, I wonder why), with the
    >> aerial in, surfing is slow but I can get to anywhere on the net. with the
    >> cable unplugged I can do anything but not get onto the server and cannot
    >> save anything at all.

    > I think of an 'aerial' as an antenna which is related to a radio which is
    > related to wireless connectivity.
    >
    > Your headers indicate that you are Vista here, if you are Vista on the
    > office computer, you can see if there are two different connectivities,
    > one wireless and one ethernet and what they are connected to.
    >
    > In Vista, you would use the CP controlpanel/ Network and Sharing Center to
    > examine the connectivities.
    >
    > It sounds like your company router via ethernet might have some kind of
    > firewall limitation to your free access to the WAN, and/but your wireless
    > is accessing something else.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Hi
    Vista is here on my home PC which I am using at the moment, the Arial is a
    wireless connection we used before they ran a hardwire across the building
    to next door where it's plugged into a box with at least a 30 sockets each
    with about 10 small led's under each one, only 8 are being used I suppose
    this is a hub of some kind, then off it goes to the server. The wireless
    router it self is also plugged into this hub, only my PC still has to use
    the wireless otherwise I can't get to Google, but I can get to other pages,
    I can get to Ask.com, to be honest it seems pretty random as to where I can
    get without the aerial plugged in, my company does not watch where we surf
    or stop any PC from accessing any site. All I want to do is come in switch
    the PC on and get to work, not much to ask.
    The PC at work is using XP.......something I just thought off too, I cannot
    save to my PC it always saves to the server, this is not the case on other
    PC's in the office, understand this is not the sort of company that would
    try to watch me or anything of such a nature, I am sure this is the way the
    lazy man has set it up.....As I said he also has no idea why it is acting
    this way, but like I said I suspect he has limited knowledge and when he put
    the server in it took 3 days and most of that was on the phone to a friend.
    I don't want to screw his life up I just want my PC to work.

    Thanks for the reply Mike

    GordonB, Jul 6, 2010
  4. GordonB

    NotMe Guest

    "GordonB" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    > I like my job, I like the company I work for, but I hate the guy who
    > does our IT, I'll get to the problem in a minute but first let me tell you
    > a little bit about our IT guy, he's a big fat useless dick, who I despise
    > with gusto, why? 1. He's lazy, 2. He keeps his job because his father is a
    > good friend of my boss, 3. He comes to the rescue about a day or two after
    > we have a problem and every problem is fixed by him replacing something
    > expensive and taking the old part away, which I recon he sells on becasue
    > there is nothing wrong with it. Oh I could go on but I want to tell you my
    > problem.
    >
    > My PC is in a different building to the main offices, I am in the
    > engineering workshop. Every morning I come into work and this is how I
    > start my PC (in the other offices all is good)
    >
    > 1. unplug Ethernet cable. also aerial (reason for Arial to follow) 2.
    > Start PC, 3. sign in, 4. Plug aerial in, 5. Plug cable in, 6. Press "ok"
    > to a message telling me I am not connected to server, 7. Right click and
    > refresh desktop at which point all my icons appear. PC now works. If I
    > don't follow these steps then: 1. PC starts 2. I sign in 3. Nothing
    > happens for ever just the egg timer.
    >
    > Now if the aerial isn't plugged in I can't get onto Google, but I can get
    > on to some web pages (this one makes me smile, I wonder why), with the
    > aerial in, surfing is slow but I can get to anywhere on the net. with the
    > cable unplugged I can do anything but not get onto the server and cannot
    > save anything at all.
    >
    > More info if needed but I need to put this right, I have a fair amount of
    > knowledge about PC's but networking is to me not something I have to do so
    > I never learnt about it. Oh and our IT guy!! He hasn't a clue why this
    > happens. everything was ok until he installed a £9k server which runs 8
    > PC's another reason I hate him, he rips my company off big style but my
    > boss cant see it...The reason I want to fix this problem is he's a dick,
    > no help and it's bugging me that I have to have this bloody ritual every
    > day. Please help, if you feel it's more complicated than a few ticks in
    > boxes or change a few settings then I think I better leave it alone, if it
    > has anything to do with the server (all the other PC's work fine) then I
    > will leave it alone, but if it's just the PC I work on then I don't care,
    > if I screw it up maybe that will be a good thing in a round about way.

    Long ago learned the lesson that smart or stupid boss is always the boss.
    Second it does no good to get in a p*ssing match with the boss's son or the
    son of a friend of the boss. Right or wrong you can't win, h*ll you can't
    even break even.

    NotMe, Jul 6, 2010
  5. GordonB

    GordonB Guest

    "NotMe" <> wrote in message

    > "GordonB" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi All
    >> I like my job, I like the company I work for, but I hate the guy
    >> who does our IT, I'll get to the problem in a minute but first let me
    >> tell you a little bit about our IT guy, he's a big fat useless dick, who
    >> I despise with gusto, why? 1. He's lazy, 2. He keeps his job because his
    >> father is a good friend of my boss, 3. He comes to the rescue about a day
    >> or two after we have a problem and every problem is fixed by him
    >> replacing something expensive and taking the old part away, which I recon
    >> he sells on becasue there is nothing wrong with it. Oh I could go on but
    >> I want to tell you my problem.
    >>
    >> My PC is in a different building to the main offices, I am in the
    >> engineering workshop. Every morning I come into work and this is how I
    >> start my PC (in the other offices all is good)
    >>
    >> 1. unplug Ethernet cable. also aerial (reason for Arial to follow) 2.
    >> Start PC, 3. sign in, 4. Plug aerial in, 5. Plug cable in, 6. Press "ok"
    >> to a message telling me I am not connected to server, 7. Right click and
    >> refresh desktop at which point all my icons appear. PC now works. If I
    >> don't follow these steps then: 1. PC starts 2. I sign in 3. Nothing
    >> happens for ever just the egg timer.
    >>
    >> Now if the aerial isn't plugged in I can't get onto Google, but I can get
    >> on to some web pages (this one makes me smile, I wonder why), with the
    >> aerial in, surfing is slow but I can get to anywhere on the net. with the
    >> cable unplugged I can do anything but not get onto the server and cannot
    >> save anything at all.
    >>
    >> More info if needed but I need to put this right, I have a fair amount of
    >> knowledge about PC's but networking is to me not something I have to do
    >> so I never learnt about it. Oh and our IT guy!! He hasn't a clue why this
    >> happens. everything was ok until he installed a £9k server which runs 8
    >> PC's another reason I hate him, he rips my company off big style but my
    >> boss cant see it...The reason I want to fix this problem is he's a dick,
    >> no help and it's bugging me that I have to have this bloody ritual every
    >> day. Please help, if you feel it's more complicated than a few ticks in
    >> boxes or change a few settings then I think I better leave it alone, if
    >> it has anything to do with the server (all the other PC's work fine) then
    >> I will leave it alone, but if it's just the PC I work on then I don't
    >> care, if I screw it up maybe that will be a good thing in a round about
    >> way.
    >>

    > Long ago learned the lesson that smart or stupid boss is always the boss.
    > Second it does no good to get in a p*ssing match with the boss's son or
    > the son of a friend of the boss. Right or wrong you can't win, h*ll you
    > can't even break even.

    I have to agree on that one mate............still want my PC to work right
    though..........

    GordonB, Jul 6, 2010
  6. GordonB

    Mike Easter Guest

    GordonB wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I don't understand what this 'aerial' is all about - what its purpose
    >> is if you are ethernetted to the router.
    >>
    >> You need to describe what I call your network topology

    > Vista is here on my home PC which I am using at the moment,

    OK.

    > the Arial is
    > a wireless connection we used before they ran a hardwire across the
    > building to next door where it's plugged into a box with at least a 30
    > sockets each with about 10 small led's under each one, only 8 are being
    > used I suppose this is a hub of some kind, then off it goes to the
    > server.

    We'll let that be a switch - it could be a(nother) router. Which one
    would be useful to know in this troubleshooting.

    > The wireless router it self is also plugged into this hub, only
    > my PC still has to use the wireless otherwise I can't get to Google,

    Okay I'm following the idea of this wireless access point (or router or
    whatever). You have two different connections, local area and wireless.

    > but
    > I can get to other pages, I can get to Ask.com, to be honest it seems
    > pretty random as to where I can get without the aerial plugged in, my
    > company does not watch where we surf or stop any PC from accessing any
    > site. All I want to do is come in switch the PC on and get to work, not
    > much to ask.

    Well, it seems like your startup problem is somehow related to how you
    are networked, but I don't know what yet.

    > The PC at work is using XP.......something I just thought off too, I
    > cannot save to my PC it always saves to the server,

    So presumably your computer is configured by the admin and that admin is
    not you.

    You should still be able to see the configurations.

    In XP CP/ Network Connections/ and in there you will see a wireless
    connection and a local area connection. If you R click the wireless you
    can select Status and the general tab just shows signal strength and
    speed - which might help you understand slowness (when you are wireless
    only) if the signal is weak.

    Next to the general tab is the Support tab which tells you the IP
    address the wireless got and the IP of the default gateway. There is a
    Details button which will tell you the IP addresses of the DNS servers -
    which DNS can influence which sites you can find.

    Now on to the ethernet, which will have similar functions in the local
    area connection of the network connections titlebar.

    Similarly, R click it and it will show speed and use the Support tab to
    see its IP address and gateway and the Details button will show you its
    DNS servers so that you can see if they are the same as for the wireless.

    The point of this activity/investigation is to see if the wireless and
    ethernet lead to the same gateway or not and whether or not they have
    the same DNS service.

    There is another issue that has to do with how your XP is configured in
    terms of your trouble logging in when you are connected via ethernet or
    wireless.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 6, 2010
  7. GordonB

> [...]

    > the wireless got and the IP of the default gateway. There is a Details
    > button which will tell you the IP addresses of the DNS servers - which DNS
    > can influence which sites you can find.
    >
    > Now on to the ethernet, which will have similar functions in the local
    > area connection of the network connections titlebar.
    >
    > Similarly, R click it and it will show speed and use the Support tab to
    > see its IP address and gateway and the Details button will show you its
    > DNS servers so that you can see if they are the same as for the wireless.
    >
    > The point of this activity/investigation is to see if the wireless and
    > ethernet lead to the same gateway or not and whether or not they have the
    > same DNS service.
    >
    > There is another issue that has to do with how your XP is configured in
    > terms of your trouble logging in when you are connected via ethernet or

    Hi Mike
    I will check the settings tomorrow and report back, I have an early start
    tomorrow so off to bed now....thanks for the help so far....more tomorrow
    :) Cheers

    GordonB, Jul 6, 2010
  8. GordonB

    Mike Easter Guest

    GordonB wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I don't understand what this 'aerial' is all about

    > the Arial is
    > a wireless connection we used before they ran a hardwire across the
    > building to next door where it's plugged into a box with at least a 30
    > sockets each with about 10 small led's under each one, only 8 are being
    > used I suppose this is a hub of some kind, then off it goes to the
    > server. The wireless router it self is also plugged into this hub, only
    > my PC still has to use the wireless otherwise I can't get to Google, but
    > I can get to other pages, I can get to Ask.com, to be honest it seems
    > pretty random as to where I can get without the aerial plugged in,

    I'm going to interpret this 'aerial' as a USB wireless device.

    One troubleshooting step I would do is to see if you can log in cleanly
    with the ethernet connected and the USB wireless unplugged.

    The other thing you can do while it is still plugged in is to identify
    it. When you are in that CP/ Network Connections - place and R click
    the wireless and see the General tab, there is a Properties button
    there. You can also get the same place by selecting Properties which
    you R click the wireless icon.

    In those properties, the general tab in there will show the name of the
    device up in the 'Connect using' section.

    I'm thinking that you could either unplug or software disable the USB
    wireless device in case it is having trouble getting an IP and something
    about that is interfering with your logging in - but I don't know what.

    The wireless is not essential for your function, whereas the ethernet
    is. So leaving it off is a troubleshooting step you haven't described yet.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 6, 2010
  9. GordonB

    chuckcar Guest

    "GordonB" <> wrote in

    > Hi All
    > I like my job, I like the company I work for, but I hate the
    > guy who
    > does our IT, I'll get to the problem in a minute but first let me tell
    > you a little bit about our IT guy, he's a big fat useless dick, who I
    > despise with gusto, why? 1. He's lazy, 2. He keeps his job because his
    > father is a good friend of my boss, 3. He comes to the rescue about a
    > day or two after we have a problem and every problem is fixed by him
    > replacing something expensive and taking the old part away, which I
    > recon he sells on becasue there is nothing wrong with it. Oh I could
    > go on but I want to tell you my problem.
    >
    > My PC is in a different building to the main offices, I am in the
    > engineering workshop. Every morning I come into work and this is how I
    > start my PC (in the other offices all is good)
    >
    > 1. unplug Ethernet cable. also aerial (reason for Arial to follow) 2.
    > Start PC, 3. sign in, 4. Plug aerial in, 5. Plug cable in, 6. Press
    > "ok" to a message telling me I am not connected to server, 7. Right
    > click and refresh desktop at which point all my icons appear. PC now
    > works. If I don't follow these steps then: 1. PC starts 2. I sign in
    > 3. Nothing happens for ever just the egg timer.

    The *exact* message you get would help.

    And when you get the hourglass, do you have the background colour?
    The taskbar? anything else at all on the screen?

    > Now if the aerial isn't plugged in I can't get onto Google, but I can
    > get on to some web pages (this one makes me smile, I wonder why), with
    > the aerial in, surfing is slow but I can get to anywhere on the net.
    > with the cable unplugged I can do anything but not get onto the server
    > and cannot save anything at all.
    >
    > More info if needed but I need to put this right, I have a fair amount
    > of knowledge about PC's but networking is to me not something I have
    > to do so I never learnt about it. Oh and our IT guy!! He hasn't a clue
    > why this happens. everything was ok until he installed a £9k server
    > which runs 8 PC's another reason I hate him, he rips my company off
    > big style but my boss cant see it...The reason I want to fix this
    > problem is he's a dick, no help and it's bugging me that I have to
    > have this bloody ritual every day. Please help, if you feel it's more
    > complicated than a few ticks in boxes or change a few settings then I
    > think I better leave it alone, if it has anything to do with the
    > server (all the other PC's work fine) then I will leave it alone, but
    > if it's just the PC I work on then I don't care, if I screw it up
    > maybe that will be a good thing in a round about way.

    A couple of questions:

    1. Has anyone tried doing any actual software repair or reinstallation of
    the OS on that computer recently?
    2. Is the computer shut *completely* off when you're not using it?
    3. If 1. have you tried removing everything out of networking and
    rebooting? (windows will reinstall the drivers and protocols on reboot
    except some special ones like VPN.)

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 6, 2010