A couple (read: lot) of new comp questions

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Beowulf, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. Beowulf

    Beowulf Guest

    I'm going to build a new computer very soon and I have a number of
    things I'd like to have cleared up. I havent built a computer since
    back when the 1 Ghz computer was what everyone drooled over.
    (In fact, im still running with a 3DFX Voodoo5)

    First, I've always used a stock heatsink and fan combo, knowing that
    they dont perform as well as an aftermarket one. I'm going to buy a
    939 Athlon 64 FX-53, and I basically want to know if anyone has
    experience with the stock heatsink and fan being adequate, and if not,
    what is the proper way to apply thermal grease and the rest of the
    good stuff about an aftermarket setup. Heatsink / Fan
    recommendations? My case will have temperature sensors, as will the
    motherboard I'm pretty sure... what are good temps to keep for the
    CPU, video, and HDD?

    Second, I've never installed a RAID array before. Im looking at 2
    SATA 80GBs (i dont use a lot of space, i just want RAID 0 for
    performance, I'll also not be installing any plain IDE hard drives).
    I would think that you set this up from the very beginning, even
    before you install the OS, right? I'm going to use the Asus A8V, if
    someone has experience with this already... i've never done it before.

    Third: This might seem like an odd question, but woudl there be any
    performance benefits to buying a PCI ethernet card instead of using
    the motherboard's onboard one? I'm already going to set a sound card
    because ive heard that there is a performance hit for relying on the
    motherboard sound (plus I love my audigy 2 anyway... im going to yank
    it and put it in my new computer). True, or just some crap I heard?

    Fourth (this post was going to be short but i keep thinking up
    questions to ask now so I dont ask later), RAM. I already made the
    mistake of assuming 939 takes registerd ram, like the 940s did. Now
    that i'm over that, whats a better way to go? I've decided on 2x512
    for right now, but I'm really thinking about 2GB. First, I'm trying
    to not spend near $600 on RAM, so if I get 2GB, would my performance
    be hurt by having 2gb of slower RAM (like CAS 2.5 or 3) as opposed to
    1gb of the "performance" RAM i'm going to get thats like 2-2-2-5 or
    something similar? If not, should I go with 2x1Gb or 4x512 for my 2Gb
    setup?

    I also have some questions about the motherboards for the skt 939's.
    I'm basically only looking at the Asus A8V's I dont care about the
    wireless features on the A8V deluxe... and I havent seen any good
    comparisons of the boards, so does anyone known if there are any good
    reasons to spend the extra money on the deluxe?

    Alrighty
    Thanks in advance to everyone who replies.
    -JM

    Beowulf, Jul 31, 2004

  2. Beowulf

    Ian Moyce Guest

    Beowulf wrote:

    > I'm going to build a new computer very soon and I have a number of
    > things I'd like to have cleared up. I havent built a computer since
    > back when the 1 Ghz computer was what everyone drooled over.
    > (In fact, im still running with a 3DFX Voodoo5)

    > First, I've always used a stock heatsink and fan combo, knowing that
    > they dont perform as well as an aftermarket one. I'm going to buy a
    > 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, and I basically want to know if anyone has
    > experience with the stock heatsink and fan being adequate, and if not,
    > what is the proper way to apply thermal grease and the rest of the
    > good stuff about an aftermarket setup. Heatsink / Fan
    > recommendations? My case will have temperature sensors, as will the
    > motherboard I'm pretty sure... what are good temps to keep for the
    > CPU, video, and HDD?

    google

    > Second, I've never installed a RAID array before. Im looking at 2
    > SATA 80GBs (i dont use a lot of space, i just want RAID 0 for
    > performance, I'll also not be installing any plain IDE hard drives).
    > I would think that you set this up from the very beginning, even
    > before you install the OS, right? I'm going to use the Asus A8V, if
    > someone has experience with this already... i've never done it before.

    google

    > Third: This might seem like an odd question, but woudl there be any
    > performance benefits to buying a PCI ethernet card instead of using
    > the motherboard's onboard one? I'm already going to set a sound card
    > because ive heard that there is a performance hit for relying on the
    > motherboard sound (plus I love my audigy 2 anyway... im going to yank
    > it and put it in my new computer). True, or just some crap I heard?

    google

    > Fourth (this post was going to be short but i keep thinking up
    > questions to ask now so I dont ask later), RAM. I already made the
    > mistake of assuming 939 takes registerd ram, like the 940s did. Now
    > that i'm over that, whats a better way to go? I've decided on 2x512
    > for right now, but I'm really thinking about 2GB. First, I'm trying
    > to not spend near $600 on RAM, so if I get 2GB, would my performance
    > be hurt by having 2gb of slower RAM (like CAS 2.5 or 3) as opposed to
    > 1gb of the "performance" RAM i'm going to get thats like
    > 2-2-2-5 or
    > something similar? If not, should I go with 2x1Gb or 4x512 for my 2Gb
    > setup?

    google

    > I also have some questions about the motherboards for the skt 939's.
    > I'm basically only looking at the Asus A8V's I dont care about the
    > wireless features on the A8V deluxe... and I havent seen any good
    > comparisons of the boards, so does anyone known if there are any good
    > reasons to spend the extra money on the deluxe?

    google.
    I have bought an Asus mobo, the delux version is better. the fucker keeps
    bitching on about the CPU being over clocked when I bugger around, but I
    like the talking instead of the beeping.

    Ian Moyce, Aug 1, 2004