    Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
    installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?

    Thanks for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=, Feb 25, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

    canixs Guest

    My advice is: stay with your current version, don't bother to upgrade to
    64bit since it only give you more headache in looking for driver, unless you
    want to ask for it.

    canixs, Feb 25, 2007

  3. j-max wrote:
    > Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
    >
    > Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
    > version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional video
    > editing, and to store and use lots of music.

    Probably not. If you're not going to be installing and using 64-bit
    applications, you won't see that great a performance increase by
    changing the OS. You will, however, likely have trouble finding 64-bit
    device drivers for any peripherals, as well as good 64-bit anti-virus
    and firewall solutions.

    > Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
    > installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?

    No, that should work OK.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Feb 25, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

    philo Guest

    "j-max" <> wrote in message
    > Just purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium installed.
    >
    > Question 1: Is it worth it for me to pay the $10 to upgrade to a 64 bit
    > version? This computer will be used mostly for Office work, occasional
    > video
    > editing, and to store and use lots of music.
    >
    > Question 2: Whether using the 32 or 64-bit, should I have any problems
    > installing Microsoft Office 2003 with Vista as the OS?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Here's the safe way to do it:

    Install the 64 bit OS on a 2nd partition (or an entire 2nd HD)
    and dual boot.
    That way if the 64bit version does not work out...you have a working system
    to fall back to.

    It's possible that some drivers may not be avail now...but will be later.

    For general use the 32bit OS should be fine...but you mentioned video
    editing...
    and there...you may find the 64bit version will give you better performance

    philo, Feb 25, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

    canixs Guest

    And remember not to activate the 64bit boot, it may invalidate the 32bit
    boot since only one version is allowed in your computer according to some
    posted I read about licensing.

    canixs, Feb 25, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

    philo Guest

    "canixs" <> wrote in message
    > And remember not to activate the 64bit boot, it may invalidate the 32bit
    > boot since only one version is allowed in your computer according to some
    > posted I read about licensing.

    Yes...that could be a problem...as
    to have two different versions up and running...they'd each have to be
    licensed and
    activated.

    philo, Feb 25, 2007
  7. Thanks everybody...that'll help.

    =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=, Feb 25, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?ai1tYXg=?=

    mikeyhsd Guest

    there are VISTA news groups on the microsoft news servers.

    unless your manufacturer will guarantee that it will run vista totally, do not try the upgrade.
    you are likely to run into driver problems.

    @sport.rr.com

    mikeyhsd, Feb 25, 2007