A couple of questions regarding IOS software

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andrew Hodgson, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I have now managed to get some access to the Cisco centre, but only
    seem to be able to download LD images, not the general images. That
    is, I can't see any for my router (837) in the upgrade planner. I am
    currently running. For example, I am now running on 12.4.5A, but am
    not sure on the real status (i.e, it it goot practise to use such a
    recent image)?

    Does anyone know a document which explains the editions of the IOS
    software? For example, the differences between standard versions, and
    the IP/FW 3DES and IP/FW/PLUS 3DES versions?

    Finally, if your router has a portion of memory called webflash: is
    this on a separate flash chip, or part of my flash? If part of the
    flash, is there any way to remove it and make the flash space larger?

    Thanks.
    Andrew.

    My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.
    Andrew Hodgson, Feb 4, 2006

  2. "Andrew Hodgson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have now managed to get some access to the Cisco centre, but only
    > seem to be able to download LD images, not the general images. That
    > is, I can't see any for my router (837) in the upgrade planner. I am
    > currently running. For example, I am now running on 12.4.5A, but am
    > not sure on the real status (i.e, it it goot practise to use such a
    > recent image)?
    >
    > Does anyone know a document which explains the editions of the IOS
    > software? For example, the differences between standard versions, and
    > the IP/FW 3DES and IP/FW/PLUS 3DES versions?
    >
    > Finally, if your router has a portion of memory called webflash: is
    > this on a separate flash chip, or part of my flash? If part of the
    > flash, is there any way to remove it and make the flash space larger?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Andrew.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Hodgson in Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK.
    > My Email: use <andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org>.

    Andrew,

    Downloading LD (Limited Deployment) images is OK. It's the status Cisco
    assigns to newest software they publish. "GD" (General Deployment) software
    usualy way down from the current (for example, current LD image for 837 is
    12.4(5a), and GD images for 837 are not available at all). Here is a link
    with a description of different "deployment" status:

    http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/library/iosplanner/reldesignation.html

    Different "editions" of IOS define a functionality included in your
    software. For example, if you do not need 3DES VPN, then you need a standard
    software. Same thing with a routing protocols, protocols, hardware included,
    etc. Another example - "standard" image may include IP only routing with
    RIP, EIGRP, and OSPF only, when "plus" or "adwanced" image may include IPX,
    AppleTalk, BGP, and ISIS.

    When you choose an image, first you should look at the hardware
    requirements: flash and memory. Image may just not fit into your router or
    have not enough memory to run.

    "webflash:" is just a different "partition" in your router's memory. New
    software releases separate areas where dofferent parts of the software
    resides.

    Good luck,

    Michael
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
    CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com, Feb 4, 2006

  3. On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 08:03:07 -0500, "CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com"
    <> wrote:

    >"webflash:" is just a different "partition" in your router's memory. New
    >software releases separate areas where dofferent parts of the software
    >resides.

    Is there a way of getting rid of webflash:? I don't need it as I am
    not using the old Cisco web configurator. I would ultimately like to
    install the full SDM in there so I can see what I am doing with
    specific commands I am entering, with this Webflash: gone I have more
    space in the flash and can manage it with 9 mb used for the IOS, but
    not with the webflash: partition. This partition is empty. I have
    tried squeeze webflash: and even erased the flash totally when
    updating the IOS.

    Thanks for letting me know there were no general releases for the 837;
    that explains why I couldn't download any!

    Andrew Hodgson, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Andrew Hodgson

    Merv Guest

    try:

    erase webflash

    squeeze flash
    Merv, Feb 5, 2006
  5. On 5 Feb 2006 10:09:11 -0800, "Merv" <> wrote:

    >try:
    >
    >erase webflash
    >
    >squeeze flash

    Still there after doing this.

    I also updated the IOS image and tried erase flash also.

    Andrew Hodgson, Feb 6, 2006