    Thanks

    Leesa (I)

    , Apr 5, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > First off, just how much information can someone find out about you by
    > knowing your IP address? Obviously I'm sure they can tell what ISP you
    > use but beyond that, can they find out things such as your actual name,
    > address or any other information such as email addys, surfing habits
    > etc... ?

    The other questions, no.
    Surfing habits, yes, that's what spyware is all about.
    And your ISP is ALL knowing. (see below)

    > Also, do all websites have the ability to see who visits their sites
    > and view your IP address? For instance, I visited a site earlier this
    > evening about vintage cars. Can the webmaster of that site easily find
    > out my IP addy and that I was there or is that something that not all
    > websites can do?

    If the webmaster hosts his own domain and uses logs, he can pretty much
    do anything.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Apr 5, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > First off, just how much information can someone find out about you by
    > knowing your IP address? Obviously I'm sure they can tell what ISP
    > you use but beyond that, can they find out things such as your actual
    > name, address or any other information such as email addys, surfing
    > habits etc... ?

    No, they cannot find anything about you other than your IP address, and
    perhaps what web sites you may have visited recently. If you are a
    dialup user, chances are you get a new IP address each time you dial in.

    However, it appears you have posted your valid *email* address in your
    post. Now all the spammers have it, because they harvest from Usenet.

    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-05, <> wrote:
    > First off, just how much information can someone find out about you by
    > knowing your IP address? Obviously I'm sure they can tell what ISP you
    > use but beyond that, can they find out things such as your actual name,
    > address or any other information such as email addys, surfing habits
    > etc... ?

    Yours reveals the ISP who provides the service you used to post this
    article:

    $ whois 4.250.114.146

    OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    OrgID: LVLT
    Address: 1025 Eldorado Blvd.
    City: Broomfield
    StateProv: CO
    PostalCode: 80021
    Country: US
    [...]

    They seem to be a 'wholesale' provider so you are probably a 'retail'
    customer of a 'reseller' ISP - or using a public connection such as an
    'internet cafe' or 'kiosk', or a WiFi hotspot.

    Eventually it might be possible for someone determined enough to work out
    who and where you are, but you would have to leave clues in your newsgroup
    or web forum posts and so on - your IP number(s) would be a small clue,
    but no more. The ISP does of course know exactly which customer used that
    IP number at that moment, and most governments have laws that empower them
    to see ISP records in certain circumstances.

    Email addresses are a different matter; they are easily found by sending
    emails to random addresses and seeing which ones generate any sort of
    response (such as a click on a website or loading an image from somewhere
    or sending a 'please take me off your list' message or an auto-answer such
    as 'I'm on holiday' or 'please visit this link to add your address to my
    approved list'). Newsgroups and web forums are also routinely 'scanned'
    by 'robots' to get lists of email addresses.

    Google tries to disguise your email address in the graphical web interface
    they provide for newsgroups - but they get it wrong, by disguising the
    wrong part, and in any case your article is also appearing in the normal
    newsgroup system which doesn't hide anything (and is much easier to scan,
    too).

    > Also, do all websites have the ability to see who visits their sites
    > and view your IP address? For instance, I visited a site earlier this
    > evening about vintage cars. Can the webmaster of that site easily find
    > out my IP addy and that I was there or is that something that not all
    > websites can do?
    >
    > Thanks

    Every 'place' you visit on the internet has to know the IP number you have
    been allocated, so that they can direct their response to you. Otherwise
    you wouldn't be able to 'go' anywhere or see anything or get emails. It
    is possible to hide behind a 'proxy', at least for some purposes and with
    a loss of 'speed'.

    I notice that the version of Opera you are using is a little out-of-date;
    8.52 or 8.53 is 'current'; there have been security and bug 'fixes'.

    If you used a proper newsreader instead of a web interface, you could post
    to newsgroups using a news-server that doesn't show your IP number in the
    'headers' - see my headers for example. Opera has a functional newsreader
    built in, which would certainly be good enough to get you started.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Apr 5, 2006
  5. P1 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > First off, just how much information can someone find out about you by
    > knowing your IP address? Obviously I'm sure they can tell what ISP you
    > use but beyond that, can they find out things such as your actual name,
    > address or any other information such as email addys, surfing habits
    > etc... ?
    >
    > Also, do all websites have the ability to see who visits their sites
    > and view your IP address? For instance, I visited a site earlier this
    > evening about vintage cars. Can the webmaster of that site easily find
    > out my IP addy and that I was there or is that something that not all
    > websites can do?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > Leesa (I)

    My best guess is that you are in Kansas, north of Wichita, just off the
    intersection of I35 and state hiway 57. Or is that just the Google server?
    (postnews.google.com!e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail)

    http://www.dnsstuff.com/ will show you some info that can be obtained from
    your IP. If there is more I don't know about it.

    P1, Apr 5, 2006
  6. wrote:
    <snip>
    > Can the webmaster of that site easily find
    > out my IP addy and that I was there or is that something that not all
    > websites can do?

    Yes, the webmaster (or whoever checks the webserver logs) can find out
    the IP address of a visitor to the site, when they visited, what pages
    they visited, how long they spent on which pages, what website they were
    last at before coming to their site, what operating system they are
    using, what browser they are using, what their screen resolution is and
    probably more stuff that I can't remember at the moment.

    Do they know that it was you who visited? No, not without some work on
    their part.
    They track the IP address to an ISP, they contact the ISP and ask who
    had that IP address at a particular time. They find out (if the ISP will
    tell them, most won't without a court order) that the IP address was
    registered to your account at that time, but they don't know who at your
    place logged on or browsed the site.

    Most tech staff at most ISP's that I've known are too busy to trawl
    through logs trying to find that information. The trawling through logs
    can be automated, and usually is, but just to give general information
    back about volumes of visitors at particular times, referring sites and
    pages visited.

    ::Your Name Here::, Apr 6, 2006
  7. ellis_jay Guest

    ::Your Name Here::" <"::Your Name Here:: wrote:
    > wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Can the webmaster of that site easily find
    >> out my IP addy and that I was there or is that something that not all
    >> websites can do?

    http://www.network-tools.com/

    http://www.geobytes.com/
    click free services

    http://centralops.net/co/
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/main-nf.htm

    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/howto2.htm

    http://www.infosyssec.com/
    http://www.computerbytesman.com/

    http://www.tipmonkies.com/2005/10/04/disposable-e-mail-address-services
    http://ip-lookup.net/ip-suite.php

    --
    I don't know what's more pathetic, Jack Abramoff's sleaze or Republican
    paralysis in the face of it. Abramoff walks out of a D.C. courthouse in

    That's a great G.O.P. talking point: some Democrats are so sleazy, they
    get involved with the likes of us.

    _______David Brooks

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Apr 7, 2006