A couple more quick questions...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by messages@home.com, Aug 27, 2003.

  1. Guest

    A couple more quick questions...

    ==============================

    What is the original standard resolution for VGA displays?

    A 640 x 480 with 16 colors
    B 640 x 480 with 64 colors
    C 320 x 200 with 256 colors
    D 800 x 600 with 64 colors
    E 640 x 480 with 256 colors

    ==============================

    Directory of C:
    12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.bat
    12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.com
    12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.exe
    12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.ini
    4 File(s) 32,516 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 74,772,992 bytes free

    C:\>

    In the case above, what will happen if you type "bvd" without the
    quotes?

    A bvd.com will execute.
    B bvd.exe will execute.
    C bvd.ini will execute.
    D Nothing, you must specify the extension in this case.
    E bvd.bat will execute.
    , Aug 27, 2003

  2. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:29:05 -0700, wrote:

    >A couple more quick questions...
    >
    >==============================
    >
    >What is the original standard resolution for VGA displays?
    >
    >A 640 x 480 with 16 colors
    >B 640 x 480 with 64 colors
    >C 320 x 200 with 256 colors
    >D 800 x 600 with 64 colors
    >E 640 x 480 with 256 colors

    This may help...watch the wrap.

    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/WSPLJEW1/263,8,PC
    Display Standards

    >==============================
    >
    >Directory of C:
    >12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.bat
    >12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.com
    >12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.exe
    >12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.ini
    > 4 File(s) 32,516 bytes
    > 0 Dir(s) 74,772,992 bytes free
    >
    >C:\>
    >
    >In the case above, what will happen if you type "bvd" without the
    >quotes?
    >
    >A bvd.com will execute.
    >B bvd.exe will execute.
    >C bvd.ini will execute.
    >D Nothing, you must specify the extension in this case.
    >E bvd.bat will execute.

    I forget a lot of this old stuff, but it is easily determined by
    taking a batch, a command, and an executable file, remaning each to
    the same filename, and then running that filename without using the
    extension. Whichever one runs, that is the answer, beyond any doubt.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Guest

    Hey Tom,

    I didn't understand your answer to the first question. I do
    understand your second answer, but I am so new to this that I don't
    even know how to do what you proposed. Can you offer me some more
    instruction on how to create such files. I know that it probably
    seems very elementary to you, but again I am just getting started in
    my quest for an A+ certification.

    Thanks,
    Jay

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:44:17 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:29:05 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>A couple more quick questions...
    >>
    >>==============================
    >>
    >>What is the original standard resolution for VGA displays?
    >>
    >>A 640 x 480 with 16 colors
    >>B 640 x 480 with 64 colors
    >>C 320 x 200 with 256 colors
    >>D 800 x 600 with 64 colors
    >>E 640 x 480 with 256 colors

    >This may help...watch the wrap.
    >
    >file:///C:/WINDOWS/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/WSPLJEW1/263,8,PC
    >Display Standards
    >

    >>==============================
    >>
    >>Directory of C:
    >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.bat
    >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.com
    >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.exe
    >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.ini
    >> 4 File(s) 32,516 bytes
    >> 0 Dir(s) 74,772,992 bytes free
    >>
    >>C:\>
    >>
    >>In the case above, what will happen if you type "bvd" without the
    >>quotes?
    >>
    >>A bvd.com will execute.
    >>B bvd.exe will execute.
    >>C bvd.ini will execute.
    >>D Nothing, you must specify the extension in this case.
    >>E bvd.bat will execute.

    >I forget a lot of this old stuff, but it is easily determined by
    >taking a batch, a command, and an executable file, remaning each to
    >the same filename, and then running that filename without using the
    >extension. Whichever one runs, that is the answer, beyond any doubt.
    >
    >Tom
    , Aug 27, 2003
  4. Pat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >>==============================
    > >>
    > >>Directory of C:
    > >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.bat
    > >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.com
    > >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.exe
    > >>12/09/1999 11:53a 8,129 bvd.ini
    > >> 4 File(s) 32,516 bytes
    > >> 0 Dir(s) 74,772,992 bytes free
    > >>
    > >>C:\>
    > >>
    > >>In the case above, what will happen if you type "bvd" without the
    > >>quotes?
    > >>
    > >>A bvd.com will execute.
    > >>B bvd.exe will execute.
    > >>C bvd.ini will execute.
    > >>D Nothing, you must specify the extension in this case.
    > >>E bvd.bat will execute.

    I believe the .bat extension takes priority in DOS, some trojans used that
    on old versions of Windows. The .com next, then the .exe in order of
    priority, I used to use this in old utility folders when I had different
    versions of programs I wanted accessible in the path, i.e. ddir.com was a
    program I used a lot, but typing ddir.exe would run a different one. INI
    files are never executed.

    As for VGA, it depends. There're fact sheets out there saying 256 colors
    was possible at 640x480, but windows 3.1 only supported 16 in standard VGA
    mode, it was standard SVGA when it'd allow 256 colors in WFWG.
    Pat, Aug 27, 2003
  5. David Hough Guest

    The .com takes priority first, followed by the .exe, then last is .bat
    The standard VGA was 16 colors 640x480

    David Hough, Aug 27, 2003
  6. On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:51:22 -0700, wrote:

    >Hey Tom,
    >
    >I didn't understand your answer to the first question.

    I suspect that you are referring to my "watch the wrap" statement.
    That refers to the fact that the URL I included was too long for a
    single line in a usenet post, so you'd have to cut/copy and paste to
    have the full URL to access the web page it refers to. I think it's
    time I investigated TinyURL...

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 28, 2003