    But does anyone have a counter-argument?

    thanks,
    js.
    JS, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Nope, I with you on this one.

    The Pugmaster

    "JS" <> wrote in message news:HHWkb.8003$...
    What is the recommended method to clean CD-Media? I disagree with the answer
    given in my A+ Training Center's A+ course booklet, and with the Center
    Director's answer: they both claim that CD-Media should be cleaned with a
    circular wiping motion. My understanding of CIRC codes tells me that CD's
    should be cleaned with a radial (i.e., from-the-center-towards-the-outside
    wiping motion) wiping motion, because a circular wiping motion can
    potentially generate a long series of consecutive bit errors during
    read-back, which the CIRC codes can't fix. A radial wiping motion would, at
    most, generate short bursts of of bit errors, which CIRC can handle.
    Googling this issue confirms that I'm right and this A+ test book and the
    Director are wrong.

    The Pugmaster, Oct 21, 2003

  3. JS wrote:

    > What is the recommended method to clean CD-Media? I disagree with the answer
    > given in my A+ Training Center's A+ course booklet, and with the Center
    > Director's answer: they both claim that CD-Media should be cleaned with a
    > circular wiping motion. My understanding of CIRC codes tells me that CD's
    > should be cleaned with a radial (i.e., from-the-center-towards-the-outside
    > wiping motion) wiping motion, because a circular wiping motion can
    > potentially generate a long series of consecutive bit errors during
    > read-back, which the CIRC codes can't fix. A radial wiping motion would, at
    > most, generate short bursts of of bit errors, which CIRC can handle.
    > Googling this issue confirms that I'm right and this A+ test book and the
    > Director are wrong.
    > But does anyone have a counter-argument?
    >
    > thanks,
    > js.

    I never knew there was any other way besides wiping from the center
    towards the outside. I believe this procedure is also in Scott Mueller's
    "Upgrading and Repairing PCs."

    eve

    **************************
    Remove @DONTSENDMECRAP@ to send email to me. Thanks!!
    @hotmail.com@DONTSENDMECRAP@, Oct 21, 2003
  4. JS

    Shadooby Wop Guest

    In article <ei0lb.55$>, says...

    >What is the recommended method to clean CD-Media? I disagree with the answer
    >given in my A+ Training Center's A+ course booklet, and with the Center
    >Director's answer: they both claim that CD-Media should be cleaned with a
    >circular wiping motion. My understanding of CIRC codes tells me that CD's
    >should be cleaned with a radial (i.e., from-the-center-towards-the-outside
    >wiping motion) wiping motion, because a circular wiping motion can
    >potentially generate a long series of consecutive bit errors during
    >read-back, which the CIRC codes can't fix. A radial wiping motion would, at
    >most, generate short bursts of of bit errors, which CIRC can handle.
    >Googling this issue confirms that I'm right and this A+ test book and the
    >Director are wrong.
    > But does anyone have a counter-argument?

    All I can offer is that the discrepency and confliction may lie in the
    difference between the way audio CDs and data CDs are burned. I have read that
    audio CDs should be wiped from the center out because the data is matrixed
    circularly or something (sorry, I can't hope to understand the physics/math
    involved). That is how they're able to encode more data on audio cd than data
    cds.
    Shadooby Wop, Oct 21, 2003