A+ Core 2001 Objectives

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by martin426, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. martin426

    martin426 Guest

    Just passed the 2001 linear core, and thought some notes might help
    others.

    The grading baffles me, as I scored a 900 but was also told I missed
    one or more questions in areas 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, 3.1, & 5.2. That being
    said, those could be "new items" that don't count, or you are given
    some sort of buffer. The new objective questions pretty much stood
    out from the old material.

    I used Sybex's A+ complete study guide (Old 2nd edition that I bought
    way back and never got around to certifying on) and online a+ links,
    however I think you'll find the Test King series of q & a's helpful
    (Some of the questions are duplicated exactly.)

    Be careful using any of the stuff you find, as I've found errors and
    discrepencies in all of them (ie: Verify the answers from a second
    source if it's not obvious). Had the old Class C fire question and
    good old POST 601 Floppy questions.

    Overall, pretty easy test, I studied 2 weeks and that is probably
    overkill for anyone with directly related experience.

    One thing I found helpful was using the laminated sheet they give you
    to write on to keep track of my score. Two columns, 1 for answers I'm
    certain of, 1 for answers I'm not sure of, need to come back to, or
    have no idea. Once I got to Q 80 I had 60 correct and 20 possible
    incorrect, so I knew I had at least 75% which removes any stress as
    you go back through the ones you marked for review.

    Good luck...

    Regards
    martin426

    martin426, Oct 30, 2003

  2. martin426

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > (Some of the questions are duplicated exactly.)

    You don't think knowing the exact questions before hand is cheating?

    --

    KB

    first inital last name AT hotmail DOT com

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 30, 2003

  3. martin426

    JesseTX Guest

    Congratulations! I am taking the tests (both) in a couple of weeks,
    and feel well prepared for them.

    Ac ouple of questions if I may. I don't remember running into
    anything about "POST 601 Floppy" in the material I have studied so
    far. What are you referring to? Is it a 601 error in POST? Also,
    can you take a calculator with you when you take the test, and do you
    need one?

    JesseTX, Oct 30, 2003
  4. martin426

    efishta Guest

    "martin426" <> wrote in message
    > Just passed the 2001 linear core, and thought some notes might help
    > others.

    > Be careful using any of the stuff you find, as I've found errors and
    > discrepencies in all of them (ie: Verify the answers from a second
    > source if it's not obvious). Had the old Class C fire question and
    > good old POST 601 Floppy questions.

    yeah i studied for a couple of weeks as well, and i got a 876 on it - and I
    missed questions on 5-6 objectives, which I dont udnerstnad really. How
    many points was each question worth?

    The test had the Class C fire extinguishers question, which I just guessed
    ( I take it I'm right since you said C as well) and the floppy 601, which I
    believe I answered the same way.

    efishta, Oct 31, 2003
  5. martin426

    martin426 Guest

    JesseTX <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Congratulations! I am taking the tests (both) in a couple of weeks,
    > and feel well prepared for them.
    >
    > Ac ouple of questions if I may. I don't remember running into
    > anything about "POST 601 Floppy" in the material I have studied so
    > far. What are you referring to? Is it a 601 error in POST? Also,
    > can you take a calculator with you when you take the test, and do you
    > need one?

    Sorry, yes, I meant the post error. No, you can't bring a calculator
    in and I had no questions regarding binary conversions; however, if
    you do, converting Hex to Binary and Binary to decimal is actually
    pretty easy. I've seen a couple explanations on here that make it
    seem like it's differential equations or something. What you need to
    remember with hex is that A-F represent binary 10,11,12,13,14,15. A
    simple way to remember is to create a table like follows
    (powers of 2)

    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

    With hex, we only deal with the 8 4 2 1. Hex A=10, which equals 8+2:

    8 4 2 1
    1 0 1 0 = 8*1 + 4*0 + 2*1 + 1*0 = 10. Hopefully that helps.

    Regarding a previous reply from KB:
    >You don't think knowing the exact questions before hand is cheating?

    Actually, after I posted that message I started thinking about that,
    and started looking around about opinions about TestKing, and found
    that they and some other's are despised for their "braindumps" which
    appear to often contain actual test questions. I was not aware of
    this when I got the q and a's, and like to think of myself as a moral
    person. I agree that it is fishy. On the one hand I have extensive
    experience and studied quite extensively from my available materials,
    and didn't get the TestKing q's until the day before I took the test.

    On the other hand, I question how people are supposed to know the
    answers to some of the questions, for instance the question regarding
    Class C fire extinguishers for a computer fire. Until I saw that
    particular question in the TestKing material I had no idea (It's not
    in my Sybex book for one) and not listed specifically in the CompTIA
    objectives. I searched this news group and found a post regarding
    someone who had taken the test and got that question wrong, because he
    or she had no idea and it wasn't in any of their study materials.
    The conundrum is created because CompTIA doesn't publish their own
    book on the A+ exam, so it seems that all the available study material
    seems to me to be very contradictory.

    Of the 350 q&a's in the TestKing material, less than 5 were duplicated
    on the test, so I really don't know... I probably went through about
    2,500 questions including the 4 tests on my sybex CD, online q's from
    this and other sites, etc. So yes, I agree that having any questions
    before hand, but not having a set "curriculum" creates this problem.
    One should be able to study a set out plan and through hard work learn
    everything one needs to pass the exam. I certainly never would have
    graduated from college if the professors didn't tell us what was going
    to be on the test by assigning materials for the class.

    Any thoughts regarding this? (And from what I found out there, this is
    a very emotionally charged subject, so please don't hate me for using
    it innocently--I had no idea that any of the questions would match!)

    -Regards

    martin426, Oct 31, 2003
  6. martin426

    blue Guest

    From someone who finally (after about two years of contemplating it)
    took the tests... I kept in the back of my mind the whole time what
    Meyers says in his book: "The A+ certification shows you have a basic
    competence in supporting microcomputers. The test covers generally
    assumed knowledge held by a technician with six months of full time PC
    support experience."

    I knew I had the basic competence, although I have never served as a
    "hardware" support technician. And yes, if you asked me yesterday how
    I felt about the process, I would have told you... ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

    There isn't a single site, reference, etc., that will prepare you 100%
    for the test. You either know something about the material or you
    don't. It's a good test... it's a good thing that Comptia doesn't
    publish "the book". If they did, it would be a book test and wouldn't
    mean anything at all.

    It's not hard... but...
    you do need to know something about it.

    oh, if you're shooting for 900's then knock yourself out. I've been
    told the certificate doesn't say what you score was :)

    of course, I can say all of this now that I have passed!!!! Damn it
    feels good!

    blue

    blue, Oct 31, 2003
  7. martin426

    JesseTX Guest

    On 30 Oct 2003 20:47:45 -0800, (martin426) wrote:

    >Sorry, yes, I meant the post error. No, you can't bring a calculator
    >in and I had no questions regarding binary conversions; however, if
    >you do, converting Hex to Binary and Binary to decimal is actually
    >pretty easy.

    I am not really concerned with converting binary or hex, that is
    pretty easy. The reason I asked about a calculator was in case of
    questions about how much video RAM you need to run a certain
    resolution, or how much RAM a CPU can support based on the number of
    wires in the address bus. Any questions like that?

    >On the other hand, I question how people are supposed to know the
    >answers to some of the questions, for instance the question regarding
    >Class C fire extinguishers for a computer fire. Until I saw that
    >particular question in the TestKing material I had no idea (It's not
    >in my Sybex book for one) and not listed specifically in the CompTIA
    >objectives. I searched this news group and found a post regarding
    >someone who had taken the test and got that question wrong, because he
    >or she had no idea and it wasn't in any of their study materials.

    The Class C fire extinguisher infomration is covered in the Total
    Recall material. Having been an electronics technician for over 20
    years, I already knew all about Class C fires, but I can understand
    how many people don't.

    As far as people studying with actual test questions, I have mixed
    feelings. A lot of the A+ material I see as "memory type" material
    anyway, that after you brain dump for the test you're not likely to
    remember forever, or have a need to anyway. For example, DMA's, IRQ's
    and I/O addresses used for default devices. The way I see it, in the
    real world I don't need to have that data commited to memory to be a
    PC technician. If I ever need to know it when working on a system, I
    can look it up. What real useful purpose does it serve for me to
    memorize that COM uses a default IRQ of 4, and an I/O address of 3F8h?
    So studying "actual" or "simulated" test questions for those type of
    things just helps to memorize them for the test.

    On the other hand, having the actual test questions available for
    someone to study can result in someone who can pass the test and
    obtain their certification, but really doesn't "know" the principles
    behind the material. This only serves to cheapen the certification,
    which, in my opinion, isn't worth much as it is. The bottom line in
    this regard is an employer needs to question or test a potential
    employee to judge whether they really know what they are doing before
    hring them simply on the merit that they have an A+ certification.
    But this should happen anyway. As an electronics technician I have
    ran into many people who could tell you the exact function of every
    resistor, capactor, transistor, etc. in a circuit, but put a broken
    piece of equipment in front of them and they have no idea how to
    troubleshoot it and find out what's wrong. These type of people have
    book smarts, but no practical sense to get the job done.

    JesseTX, Oct 31, 2003
  8. martin426

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Actually, after I posted that message I started thinking about that,
    > and started looking around about opinions about TestKing, and found
    > that they and some other's are despised for their "braindumps" which
    > appear to often contain actual test questions. I was not aware of
    > this when I got the q and a's, and like to think of myself as a moral
    > person. I agree that it is fishy. On the one hand I have extensive
    > experience and studied quite extensively from my available materials,
    > and didn't get the TestKing q's until the day before I took the test.
    >
    > On the other hand, I question how people are supposed to know the
    > answers to some of the questions, for instance the question regarding
    > Class C fire extinguishers for a computer fire. Until I saw that
    > particular question in the TestKing material I had no idea (It's not
    > in my Sybex book for one) and not listed specifically in the CompTIA
    > objectives. I searched this news group and found a post regarding
    > someone who had taken the test and got that question wrong, because he
    > or she had no idea and it wasn't in any of their study materials.
    > The conundrum is created because CompTIA doesn't publish their own
    > book on the A+ exam, so it seems that all the available study material
    > seems to me to be very contradictory.
    >
    > Of the 350 q&a's in the TestKing material, less than 5 were duplicated
    > on the test, so I really don't know... I probably went through about
    > 2,500 questions including the 4 tests on my sybex CD, online q's from
    > this and other sites, etc. So yes, I agree that having any questions
    > before hand, but not having a set "curriculum" creates this problem.
    > One should be able to study a set out plan and through hard work learn
    > everything one needs to pass the exam. I certainly never would have
    > graduated from college if the professors didn't tell us what was going
    > to be on the test by assigning materials for the class.
    >
    > Any thoughts regarding this? (And from what I found out there, this is
    > a very emotionally charged subject, so please don't hate me for using
    > it innocently--I had no idea that any of the questions would match!)

    My take on braindumps is they're wrong. Innocent or not. Of course, because
    you didn't know, it's not really your fault, and you shouldn't be held
    accountable, but it's still wrong. Of course, now that you know, and if you
    use them again, you open yourself up for extreme flaming and (I'm not sure
    about CompTIA, but I know Microsoft does...) possible revocation of certs.
    They take this very seriously, as they should.
    I am aware that CompTIA doesn't publish their own material, and I think they
    should. But I also think that the A+ cert should be more difficult than it
    actually is. I know it's supposed to be an entry level cert, but because
    it's being so devalued (along with many, many other certifications) by
    braindumpers (innocently or otherwise) and people without experience (this
    wouldn't be you - but many people just "study" TestKing and other dumps and
    memorize the answers, and they have no idea what they're doing in the real
    world, so it reflects badly on everyone), maybe they should consider raising
    the standards of the exam. Possibly make the questions harder, include a
    practical lab portion of the exam, etc (Cisco does this in their exams).
    This would prevent braindumpers from cheating the system, which in and of
    itself would improve the value of the certification. Add to that the
    increased difficulty, and suddenly A+ can be on par with other "low level"
    certs, such as MCP. (Currently, and not to take anything away from A+'ers,
    because I'm one too, but A+ is kind of the lowest rung on the certification
    ladder.).

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 31, 2003