    more tax!

    The revenue earned would help fund the oversight of local loop unbundling
    and other areas of fair trading in the local ISP industry.
    aum, Oct 12, 2006

  2. aum

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:59:58 +1300, aum <>
    exclaimed:

    >A constructive internet tax would be a tax on websites hosted within NZ
    >jurisdiction that cannot be adequately used in an open source browser.
    >
    >(For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    >in Firefox.)
    >
    >Wanna write sites with IE-specific javascript? Pay up!
    >
    >Wanna clean up the code so the site works in Firefox, Konqueror etc? No
    >more tax!
    >
    >The revenue earned would help fund the oversight of local loop unbundling
    >and other areas of fair trading in the local ISP industry.

    My god. I suppose it's true when they say there's one born every
    minute.

    Maybe we should have a tax on sites that don't work in Internet
    Explorer instead?

    Maybe those putting sites on the internet should be able to put
    whatever the hell they want on their own website, without morons like
    you trying to get into their back pocket because it doesn't work on
    every 2-bit browser or environment you might be using.

    Vote with your feet, Aum. Vote with your feet.
    Fred Dagg, Oct 13, 2006

  3. aum

    JohnO Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:59:58 +1300, aum <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >A constructive internet tax would be a tax on websites hosted within NZ
    > >jurisdiction that cannot be adequately used in an open source browser.
    > >
    > >(For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    > >in Firefox.)
    > >
    > >Wanna write sites with IE-specific javascript? Pay up!
    > >
    > >Wanna clean up the code so the site works in Firefox, Konqueror etc? No
    > >more tax!
    > >
    > >The revenue earned would help fund the oversight of local loop unbundling
    > >and other areas of fair trading in the local ISP industry.

    > My god. I suppose it's true when they say there's one born every
    > minute.
    >
    > Maybe we should have a tax on sites that don't work in Internet
    > Explorer instead?
    >
    > Maybe those putting sites on the internet should be able to put
    > whatever the hell they want on their own website, without morons like
    > you trying to get into their back pocket because it doesn't work on
    > every 2-bit browser or environment you might be using.
    >
    > Vote with your feet, Aum. Vote with your feet.

    It's hard to believe that someone with enough intelligence to operate
    an internet browser, would still be stupid enough to come up with an
    concept like that, eh?
    JohnO, Oct 13, 2006
  4. aum

    EMB Guest

    aum wrote:
    > A constructive internet tax would be a tax on websites hosted within NZ
    > jurisdiction that cannot be adequately used in an open source browser.
    >
    > (For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    > in Firefox.)

    Works fine for me in FF 1.5.0.7/Windows 2000 and XP
    EMB, Oct 13, 2006
  5. EMB wrote:
    > aum wrote:
    >> A constructive internet tax would be a tax on websites hosted within NZ
    >> jurisdiction that cannot be adequately used in an open source browser.
    >>
    >> (For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    >> in Firefox.)

    > Works fine for me in FF 1.5.0.7/Windows 2000 and XP

    Me also, Firefox 1.5.0.4 with kubuntu and windows XP pro
    Andrew Lambert, Oct 13, 2006
  6. aum wrote:
    > A constructive internet tax would be a tax on websites hosted within NZ
    > jurisdiction that cannot be adequately used in an open source browser.
    >
    > (For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    > in Firefox.)
    >
    > Wanna write sites with IE-specific javascript? Pay up!
    >
    > Wanna clean up the code so the site works in Firefox, Konqueror etc? No
    > more tax!
    >
    > The revenue earned would help fund the oversight of local loop unbundling
    > and other areas of fair trading in the local ISP industry.

    I have heard of smarter ideas... I dont think if heard anything more
    stupid though
    Andrew Lambert, Oct 13, 2006
  7. aum

    aum Guest

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:59:13 -0700, JohnO wrote:

    > It's hard to believe that someone with enough intelligence to operate
    > an internet browser, would still be stupid enough to come up with an
    > concept like that, eh?

    Was a bit of a brainfart, admittedly
    aum, Oct 13, 2006
  8. aum

    Who Am I Guest

    In article <>,
    aum <> wrote:

    > A constructive internet tax would be a tax on websites hosted within NZ
    > jurisdiction that cannot be adequately used in an open source browser.
    >
    > (For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    > in Firefox.)
    >
    > Wanna write sites with IE-specific javascript? Pay up!
    >
    > Wanna clean up the code so the site works in Firefox, Konqueror etc? No
    > more tax!
    >
    > The revenue earned would help fund the oversight of local loop unbundling
    > and other areas of fair trading in the local ISP industry.

    They do...they loose customers.
    If you care to use a non-standard OS and Browser then it is YOUR problem
    not everyone elses. How about a tax if web pages are also not in Maori,
    Swahili, French and so on too.
    Who Am I, Oct 13, 2006
  9. aum

    steve Guest

    aum wrote:

    > (For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    > in Firefox.)

    Send the folks at Stuff a note and tell them how much better the NZ Herald
    site is for you as it isn't just for Windows users.
    steve, Oct 13, 2006
  10. steve wrote:
    > aum wrote:
    >
    >> (For example, the Stuff.co.nz website, whose applets (eg Quiz) don't work
    >> in Firefox.)

    > Send the folks at Stuff a note and tell them how much better the NZ Herald
    > site is for you as it isn't just for Windows users.

    Just because you mentioned the Herald, and not for argumentative purposes:

    The Herald site is a joke though; being accosted every time you click on
    something that is Premium Content. It's ironic in that if the Premium
    Content wasn't there, I wouldn't miss it, but the frustration of being
    lured into clicking on it and not getting to read what I had planned
    keeps me from ever visiting.
    I'm A Trampoline, Oct 14, 2006