A complete newbie for VoIP - help plz!

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Sierra, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Sierra

    Sierra Guest

    I'm a technician maintaining a 200 extension PABX serving for a small
    airport. We have a plan for replacing the PABX which is an old unsupported
    traditional one from Alcatel. Two CO lines are interfaced to this old PBX
    for users to share.
    We will be having a single mode fibre backbone spanning around a radius of
    about 1.5km and this will be used for our LAN. The LAN is going to be a
    complete IP based network.
    We have a head office about 450km from us that we need to talk over the
    phone *frequently* and have no dedicated data link to connect both offices
    but, the internet is avilable at 56k on demand.
    We'll also need to call PSTN and GSM phones around the city just the same
    way we talk to our Head Office.

    I hear the story of going VoIP or IP telephony would do a tremendous
    reduction on long distance call costs. But don't know much about how it is
    going to connect PSTN or GSM phones around the globe over IP.
    We are thinking of going for an IP PABX rather than a traditional one to
    take advantage of IP, preferably Alcatel OmniPCX 4400 which might perhaps be
    an overkill.

    Is there anyone who can share experiences on IP PABXs or could steer me into
    a good internet resource on IP telephony?

    TIA

    Sierra, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Sierra

    Erik Guest

    You should surely also have a look at the Nortel BCM. It's VPN, QoS, and
    other integrated features might bring you a very interesting business case.
    However, no IP Telephony product will change anything for GSMs, ... unless
    people learn to grab the great softphone whenever possible.
    Go to a sales representative of whatever manufacturer or reseller and let
    THEM defend the IPT case!
    Viking.

    Erik, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Sierra

    Guest Guest

    "Erik" <> wrote in message
    > You should surely also have a look at the Nortel BCM. It's VPN, QoS, and

    200 IP extensions on a BCM, It can't do that. Just thinking about connecting
    a BCM directly to the Internet makes me shutter. I know what Nortel says,
    but also know the reality of the BCN. It's great in the right sized
    business, but can't handle the bigger sites. The Mitel 3300 is better in a
    large site. I know, we sell and support a lot of both, and have been doing
    VoIP since the beginning.

    > > I'm a technician maintaining a 200 extension PABX serving for a small
    > > airport. We have a plan for replacing the PABX which is an old
    > > unsupported traditional one from Alcatel. Two CO lines are interfaced
    > > to this old PBX for users to share.

    200 extension and two CO line? Do you mean 2 analog, 2 BRI, 2 T1/E1?

    > > We will be having a single mode fibre backbone spanning around a
    > > radius of about 1.5km and this will be used for our LAN. The LAN is
    > > going to be a complete IP based network.
    > > We have a head office about 450km from us that we need to talk over
    > > the phone *frequently* and have no dedicated data link to connect both
    > > offices but, the internet is avilable at 56k on demand.

    NO QoS on the internet and 56K will get you only one bad call at a time.
    Get a high speed dedicated connection for VoIP and data, or do the data
    across a VPN (over the internet) and the VoIP across a slower dedicated
    connection (384K or 768K frame relay depending on the usage)

    > > We'll also need to call PSTN and GSM phones around the city just the
    > > same way we talk to our Head Office.

    PBX to PSTN, nothing new there unless you want to put in your own GSM
    system.

    > > I hear the story of going VoIP or IP telephony would do a tremendous
    > > reduction on long distance call costs. But don't know much about how
    > > it is going to connect PSTN or GSM phones around the globe over IP.

    It doesn't. You have to have a gateway from IP to PSTN someplace. It reduces
    cost if you have multiple sites with dedicated connections for data. By
    using the existing connection for VoIP you get free site-to-site calling.
    There are services out there that offer IP to PSTN gateways all over the
    world via the internet. But then you're back to needing a high-speed
    internet connection and with no QoS the calls may be of poor quality or fail
    altogether. This isn't a big deal if you're calling family or friends, but
    not a good idea when dealing with clients or emergencies.

    > > We are thinking of going for an IP PABX rather than a traditional one
    > > to take advantage of IP, preferably Alcatel OmniPCX 4400 which might
    > > perhaps be an overkill.

    No matter how you do it remember that you will pay more up front for an IP
    PBX.
    The Mitel 3300 is a good fit for 200 extensions scales up to 750 and has a
    huge list of features (most of which you'll never use). The only real
    drawback I've come across compared to the Cisco, is that Mitel doesn't
    support remote PSTN trunks (they have to connect directly to the system).
    You can get the same functionality by putting is a second 3300 connected
    with VoIP trunks, and this may be a good fit for you with the head office.
    You can also can cheat a little by using a couple of Cisco routers with
    voice cards to connect the remote trunk to the 3300.

    > > Is there anyone who can share experiences on IP PABXs or could steer
    > > me into a good internet resource on IP telephony?

    Been doing VoIP since the beginning, did voice over data before that
    (pre-standard stuff). Many successful installations. and have worked with
    VoIP products fro Mitel, Nortel, Cisco, and 3Com (3Com is junk). Send me an
    email rcohen"at"acsvoicedata"dot"com replace the "" with what should be
    there. Start with where you are, then give me some details on size, number
    of site (potential sites).

    Guest, Jan 29, 2004