A+ Certification?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by BK, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. BK

    BK Guest

    Hello,

    I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of earning
    some certifications starting with A+.

    I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series of
    exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed the A+
    OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware, but
    A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?

    So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully A+
    certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these exams
    before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't have
    to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP right?

    As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind enough to
    explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!

    Thanks in advance

    BK, Nov 13, 2003

  2. BK

    C Peck Guest

    This link from CompTIA explains the process on the A+ exams

    http://www.comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp

    Basically you take 2 tests and must pass both to receive the certification -
    Good luck! I'm studying for it right now also and plan on taking the 2003
    test in Dec

    C Peck, Nov 13, 2003

  3. As I said in a different thread in this group.
    A+ is a lifetime certification, no need to retest, unless you have $200+
    just sitting around gathering dust.

    Philip

    "BK" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks so much for the feedback. So the way I understand it is that if I
    > take the Hardware test and pass it and the OS portion and I pass it, then

    > get the A+ certification. When the 2003 (OS) comes out on November, it is
    > mandatory for me to take this in order for my A+ to be updated? Just like

    in

    C. Philip Cutler II, Nov 13, 2003
  4. BK

    Guest

    The A+ is in two parts ,and both are needed for certification. One is
    the OS and the other is the Core ( also called the hardware portion)
    Each test is $145 give or take. It is a lifetime certification,you do
    not have to take it everytime it changes. Look at www.comptia.org I
    hope this helps.

    BK wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am pretty new on this newsgroup and I am currently thinking of earning
    >some certifications starting with A+.
    >
    >I am trying to find out if this "A+" exam is just one exam or a series of
    >exams. Whenever I read on the newsrgroup, some people say they passed the A+
    >OS, some people say they passed the A+ Core, some people say Hardware, but
    >A+ to my knowledge is just one certification no?
    >
    >So in layman's terms... what exams do I need to take to become fully A+
    >certified? How much is each exam? Also, if I study and take these exams
    >before Nov. 26th before "Windows XP" A+ curriculum comes out, I don't have
    >to renew it or take an upgrade test to become certified in Windows XP right?
    >
    >As you can see, I am very confused about this. If someone is kind enough to
    >explain it to me, I will really appreciate it!!!
    >
    >Thanks in advance

    , Nov 13, 2003
  5. BK

    Frederic Guest

    Hi

    You need to pass both OS and Hardware exams in order to be A+ certified.
    You'll find all the information on the compTIA website.
    http://comptia.org/certification/A/objectives.asp

    You will never need to renew your certification because CompTIA
    certifications are lifetime certifications.

    In fact when you say that you are an A+ certified technician you should in
    fact specify which version.

    I am A+ 2001 so I am not certified on Windows Me and XP. Someone else could
    be A+ 1998 and he wouldn't have recognized expertise with Windows 2000. It's
    the same for hardware expertise.

    --
    Frederic
    MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIWA, A+

    Frederic, Nov 13, 2003
  6. BK

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <6_Usb.10199$>,
    says...

    >You will never need to renew your certification because CompTIA
    >certifications are lifetime certifications.
    >
    >In fact when you say that you are an A+ certified technician you should in
    >fact specify which version.
    >
    >I am A+ 2001 so I am not certified on Windows Me and XP. Someone else could
    >be A+ 1998 and he wouldn't have recognized expertise with Windows 2000. It's
    >the same for hardware expertise.

    except that if you took one of the tests before the new objectives go into
    place you're allowed to take the next test and combine them to get your
    certification. So under your scheme somebody could be half and half.

    Jinkies, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Is that in writing somewhere? I passed the exam 10 years ago when it was
    combined (hardware, Windows, Macintosh) and I'm having a hard time getting
    my school to accept this certification because it is so old.

    Mark Schwemlein, Nov 21, 2003