A+ Certification w/Limited Resources...Need Advice

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by derekge, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. derekge

    derekge Guest

    I'm scheduling myself to take the A+ Cert. Exams in mid-March and my only
    tool of knowledge is Michael Myers' A+ Cert. Exam Guide (4th ed. - I know I
    should'a bought th 5th ed.). Understanding the importance of 'putting
    theory into practice' (and I learn better hands-on too) I feel this dire
    need to work on various PC's with various CPU's, motherboards, HD's, RAM,
    etc...using the following OS's: Windows 9x, and Windows 2000. I am
    currently running Windows XP Home on my PC. I have a couple options on how
    to achieve this practice:

    1) Work on friends / relatives PC's. I can go the their houses and work on
    their PC's and between them all I can work with all three OSs. I can't
    really do any 'exploratory tweaking' and this will limit my practice.

    2) Partition my Slave Drive and install Windows 95, 98, and 2000 on it (I
    can most likely get the installation disks from my friends / relatives).
    This offers no variety in hardware knowledge though.

    3) Establish some type of internship at a small computer store where I can
    observe + get my hands on some PCs that fit all the above criteria.

    4) Go to school and get the practice via the lab. I eventually want to be
    MCSE and have various other certifications which I will probably have to go
    to school for considering a higher level of difficulty but I believe I can
    save myself some cash with A+.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated. What did you do or what would you
    choose?

    Thanks in advance,
    Derek
    derekge, Jan 28, 2004

  2. derekge

    derekge Guest

    5th ed. is in the mail. What would you see as a realistic timeline then to
    gain the experience needed to pass the test? Plus: what's the best and
    cheapest way to work on some PC's?

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message
    > You can't get enough experience between now and Mid March to pass the

    test.
    > It's not even an option. You first have to get the 5th edition. You may

    have
    > "known" this but apparently you didn't understand "why" or you would have

    it

    derekge, Jan 28, 2004

  3. derekge

    Linda Guest

    I used to go to garage sales and thrift stores and buy used/junk
    computers. Tear them apart and throw all the parts in a box and see if
    I could get a computer or two out of the mess. I got a lot of
    experience troubleshooting and learning all the different components.
    My Mike Myers is 2nd edition so I don't know whats in 5. Its been a
    couple of years since I got the Comptia certs.

    Linda, Jan 29, 2004
  4. derekge

    derekge Guest

    Imhotech, Kathy, Linda - thank you very much for your replies. I like all
    of your ideas, especially the garage sale one. Kathy: I think there might
    be an insurance issue with working for free at a computer store. As you
    know, free workers are also called interns and the school covers them. If
    we break something...?

    Imhotech: I'm gonna dual boot or actually quad-boot my PC.

    Thanks again.

    derekge, Jan 29, 2004
  5. derekge

    derekge Guest

    That's seems odd at first Mark but when I think about it, I doubt there is
    anyplace someone can go for free and dabble with PC's.

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in message

    > "derekge" <> wrote in message
    > > Imhotech, Kathy, Linda - thank you very much for your replies. I like

    all
    > > of your ideas, especially the garage sale one. Kathy: I think there

    might
    > > be an insurance issue with working for free at a computer store. As you
    > > know, free workers are also called interns and the school covers them.

    If
    > > we break something...?
    > >
    > > Imhotech: I'm gonna dual boot or actually quad-boot my PC.
    > >
    > > Thanks again.

    > There is even an insurance issue working with the Salvation Army as I
    > learned when I called them and like you expressed an interest in doing
    > volunteer work on the donated computers. The Good Will was also out

    because
    > they train and only use people in the Inner Cities(I live in L.A.)so that
    > ruled me out as well. And I learned just last week(when I brought a

    really
    > cheap PC case in to a local Good Will location)that they won't accept

    these

    derekge, Jan 29, 2004
  6. derekge

    derekge Guest

    So did you ever work w/out pay at a computer shop or did they all turn you
    away?

    derekge, Feb 3, 2004
  7. derekge

    TonicxT Guest

    Definitly go for option 3; the internship.

    That will serve the most to helping you ascertain employment once you're
    certified. --> Experience

    The A+ cert alone is not enough for one to ascertain employment; atleast,
    not in BC, Canada.

    TonicxT, Feb 9, 2004