    anymore which is quite conflicting.

    Please help, I'm very confused.

    Thanks

    senseofhumor13, Jan 28, 2004

  2. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    no you do not HAVE to take the A+ exams as they are electives not
    core/manditory exams... however, A+ is still a very important cert and very
    common... IMHO, I would say A+ is almost a manditory for any tech... you
    really need to know hardware to work as a tech

    --
    Sue Thugette #69

    Brat, Jan 28, 2004

  3. senseofhumor13

    JaR Guest

    "Brat" <> wrote in message
    > no you do not HAVE to take the A+ exams as they are electives not
    > core/manditory exams... however, A+ is still a very important cert and

    very
    > common...

    I agree. You certainly do not HAVE to take the A+ or the Net+ certs to be
    MCSA/E. You definitely should be ABLE to pass them, however.

    JaR
    A+ Net+ MCSA MCNGP #22

    JaR, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Hey Brat, thanks for the response. I have a follow up
    question if you don't mind. If A+ is still a significant
    part of being an IT, then why are less and less people
    taking A+ exams? And if you don't mind me asking, what do
    you do for living and how long did it take you to obtain
    a mcsa cert (assuming you do)?

    senseofhumor13, Jan 28, 2004
  5. senseofhumor13

    Guest Guest

    Hey JaR, thank you too for your response. Please continue
    to hold my hand and give me guidance and share your
    fortune cookie wisdom so that I too can be an unemployed
    IT.

    message

    Guest, Jan 28, 2004
  6. senseofhumor13

    kpg Guest

    Fewer people taking the A+?

    A+ used to be THE entry level cert. Now I guess it
    got replaced by MSCA/MCSE as the NEW entry level cert.

    kpg, Jan 28, 2004
  7. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    I think it is mainly because most people think of an A+ tech as the guy in
    the back room switching out hard drives in a pc repair shop... and it can
    be... but if you want to be a sys admin someday, you need to know how to do
    the hardware things as well as the networking side...

    As for my MCSA... I got it last spring... I was going for my MCSE and was
    almost completed when they came out with MCSA so instead of doing 221 I did
    218 and got both :) Took me just over a year but that was also while I was
    attending college so I took my time doing the certs... I took my first cert
    215 in Sep 2001 and I got my last (218) in Jan 2003. I was just hired as a
    Team Manager at a Call Center with 50 subordinates.

    Brat, Jan 28, 2004
  8. senseofhumor13

    JaR Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey JaR, thank you too for your response. Please continue
    > to hold my hand and give me guidance and share your
    > fortune cookie wisdom so that I too can be an unemployed
    > IT.

    No problem. I hear unemployment is lovely this time of year.

    JaR, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Thanks again Brat. Hey, so, if I'm capable of upgrading,
    replacing and recognizing computer parts, that should be
    sufficient correct? I shouldn't have to know all the
    minor and technical details do I?

    On another note, I'm just getting started so, I'm
    studying for 290, is that the right exam to start with?
    What are 221 and 218, I don't see them on the list as
    core exams or electives?

    senseofhumor13, Jan 29, 2004
  10. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    > Thanks again Brat. Hey, so, if I'm capable of upgrading,
    > replacing and recognizing computer parts, that should be
    > sufficient correct? I shouldn't have to know all the
    > minor and technical details do I?

    it helps... when a user cannot connect to the network, you have to know what
    to check... a lot of times (in my experience) it can be as simple as
    reinstalling a protocol or other simple solution so the more you know, the
    better off you are. I guess it depends on what job you end up having. If
    you are unemployed, or not employed in the IT field yet, you cannot know
    what your job will require. So you really have to plan for everything. You
    do not want to be in a job that requires that you know all the little things
    if you do not know them, right? Besides, A+ is a great foundation to build
    off of, IMHO.

    > On another note, I'm just getting started so, I'm
    > studying for 290, is that the right exam to start with?
    > What are 221 and 218, I don't see them on the list as
    > core exams or electives?

    What track are you following? 2003? if so...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/

    if 2000 :

    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/requirements.asp

    I did the 2000 track and will eventually do my 2k3 upgrade (after I complete
    my CCNP exams this year). So I did the 2000 equivalent of 290. I took 210,
    215, 216, 216, 224, 219, and 218 to get both my MCSE and MCSA. I also have
    my A+ but that was before the MCSA track and the 218 exam even existed.

    Brat, Jan 29, 2004
  11. senseofhumor13

    tasha Guest

    hi,

    Just to try and help you clear this up. The aim of having
    the A+ as part of your MCSA is to help people who haven't
    worked within the industry to gain a good fundamental
    background of Operating systems and hardware. This paired
    with either server+ or network+ count as the elective part
    of an MCSA course. This isn't a requirement however and
    you can choose a different elective choice instead if you
    feel you already know enough about these areas. I hope
    this has helped you, if you would like any more advise on
    courses etc then please visit our web site
    affordabletraining.co.uk

    Tasha (training advisor)

    tasha, Jan 29, 2004
  12. Hey Brat, I'm glad that you've mentioned about different
    tracks. I was wondering whether I should be studying for
    2003 or 2000 what do you think? I'm hoping that I can
    obtain MCSA by sometime later this year. Please keep in
    mind that I'm very new to the computer field and my
    experience with computers are very limited. I started to
    study for A+ but I found it too technical and quite
    boring. Yesterday, I began reading 290 and I find that to
    be much more interesting. So, as you can see, I need a
    lot of guidance. I'm thinking perhaps, I should return
    the 290 book and get the equivalent for 2000. How long
    have you've been in the computer field Brat?

    senseofhumor13, Jan 29, 2004
  13. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    I would advise 2000 track for a few reasons:

    1) a lot of companies still use NT 4 and 2000 and will probably wait a while
    before doing 2k3;
    2) there are a lot more resources out there (ie text books) for 2000 as a
    lot of the 2k3 books are still being written... also, with the new OS's, not
    all issues have been identified yet whereas 2000 has been around for a while
    and a lot of the bugs have been identified; and
    3) getting 2000 and then upgrading to 2k3 will give you 2 certs not just
    one... scaleablity (?).

    Honestly, if you are finding A+ too technical, you may have difficulty with
    the more advanced portions of the certification track. I am still a
    believer that A+ is the root of all studies... but that is just my opinion.
    I really enjoyed my A+ classes.

    I havent been in the field long... only just over 3 years but I have been
    working extensively with computers since Jan 1992... back in the old dos
    days.

    No one can tell you what route to go but since you are asking me for my
    opinion I will give it...

    take an A+ course at a local college... learn the computer inside out... buy
    a broken computer if possible and make it work (that was really fun...
    seriously!)... then move onto the 2000 track... later you can upgrade to
    2k3... you have tons of time... use it to your advantage

    :)

    Brat, Jan 29, 2004
  14. Hey, I REALLY appreciate all your input Brat. And, I'm
    going to take your advice and start on the 2000 track. I
    too thought along the line that most companies still use
    2000 and NT but I just needed to hear it from someone
    with some experience.

    I actually know how to fix a broken computer. I have
    taken a computer repair class and the lab work was
    interesting but I found the lecture and the A+ book
    somewhat boring. I also appreciate your concern that I
    may have more difficutlies with MCSA as I also have had
    same concerns but like I said, although, MCSA may be just
    as complex if not more, I do find it interesting and
    challenging.

    Brat, what state do you work out of if you don't mind me
    asking? Also, I'm gonna keep asking for your advice so,
    if my questions become overbearing, please don't
    hesistate to let me know. I really don't want to be a
    bother.

    Thanks

    Richard

    senseofhumor13, Jan 30, 2004
  15. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    no problem Richard... actually I live in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    lol... so no state at all :p

    good luck with your studies. If you ever decide to try A+ again... look for
    a book by Mike Meyers (no not the actor)... he is a great author and it
    comes with a CD with video on it and practically the whole book on CD.

    Brat, Jan 30, 2004
  16. Yeah Brat, I figured you were Canadien but I thought you
    were from the Vancouver region not Newfoundland.
    Newfounland probably would have been my second guess
    though. I bet it's freezing up there. It was a comfy 69er
    degrees here in socal.

    You know, you haven't strayed me wrong yet so therefore,
    I just may take your advice on the A+ book. Especially,
    since the whole book's on cd, you can't go wrong with
    that right? It's Myers the author not the comedian/actor,
    got it. Hey, I meant to ask you, what's IMHO? Believe me,
    I got lot more stupid questions lined up for you. I just
    may shock you with my stupidity. I like the tongue Brat-
    "oh behave".

    wrote in message
    >> Hey, I REALLY appreciate all your input Brat. And, I'm
    >> going to take your advice and start on the 2000 track.

    >> too thought along the line that most companies still

    use
    >> 2000 and NT but I just needed to hear it from someone
    >> with some experience.
    >>
    >> I actually know how to fix a broken computer. I have
    >> taken a computer repair class and the lab work was
    >> interesting but I found the lecture and the A+ book
    >> somewhat boring. I also appreciate your concern that I
    >> may have more difficutlies with MCSA as I also have had
    >> same concerns but like I said, although, MCSA may be

    just
    >> as complex if not more, I do find it interesting and
    >> challenging.
    >>
    >> Brat, what state do you work out of if you don't mind

    me
    >> asking? Also, I'm gonna keep asking for your advice so,
    >> if my questions become overbearing, please don't
    >> hesistate to let me know. I really don't want to be a
    >> bother.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Richard

    <>

    senseofhumor13, Jan 31, 2004
  17. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    lol balmy 35 degrees here today lol... hey that is mild compared to the rest
    of canada hehehe

    IMHO = in my humble opinion :)

    Brat, Jan 31, 2004
  18. See what you made me do Brat, I thought that IMHO was one
    of many million new tech acronyms that I needed to learn.
    It was either that or that you're very "friendly" with
    the men. Anyways, I'm giving you the weekend off but hey,
    when monday rolls around, I'm gonna hit you with obvious
    but "is this guy this dense" questions. You'll be
    singing "I don't like mondays" by the boomtown rats,
    remember them? Ciao Brat.

    wrote in message
    >> Yeah Brat, I figured you were Canadien but I thought

    you
    >> were from the Vancouver region not Newfoundland.
    >> Newfounland probably would have been my second guess
    >> though. I bet it's freezing up there. It was a comfy

    69er
    >> degrees here in socal.
    >>
    >> You know, you haven't strayed me wrong yet so

    therefore,
    >> I just may take your advice on the A+ book. Especially,
    >> since the whole book's on cd, you can't go wrong with
    >> that right? It's Myers the author not the

    comedian/actor,
    >> got it. Hey, I meant to ask you, what's IMHO? Believe

    me,
    >> I got lot more stupid questions lined up for you. I

    just
    >> may shock you with my stupidity. I like the tongue

    Brat-
    >> "oh behave".

    <>

    senseofhumor13, Jan 31, 2004
  19. senseofhumor13

    Guest Guest

    Alright, so much for your weekend off Brat, I need you
    and I need you prompt MISSY. Hey, should I start with 270
    or 210? I'm leaning towards 270 because I think XP is far
    superior o/s but what do you think Brat? Something tells
    me on this one, either one will be ok.

    wrote in message
    >> Yeah Brat, I figured you were Canadien but I thought

    you
    >> were from the Vancouver region not Newfoundland.
    >> Newfounland probably would have been my second guess
    >> though. I bet it's freezing up there. It was a comfy

    69er
    >> degrees here in socal.
    >>
    >> You know, you haven't strayed me wrong yet so

    therefore,
    >> I just may take your advice on the A+ book. Especially,
    >> since the whole book's on cd, you can't go wrong with
    >> that right? It's Myers the author not the

    comedian/actor,
    >> got it. Hey, I meant to ask you, what's IMHO? Believe

    me,
    >> I got lot more stupid questions lined up for you. I

    just
    >> may shock you with my stupidity. I like the tongue

    Brat-
    >> "oh behave".

    <>

    Guest, Jan 31, 2004
  20. senseofhumor13

    Brat Guest

    the best answer to that would be the OS you are the most familiar with not
    which one is superior... I run both... I like the visual affect of XP but I
    like the 2000 because that is the cert I concentrated on and know the most
    about. I still support going with 2000 because it is more popular with
    employers so far... and if you get 2000 and then upgrade to 2k3 you not only
    get 2 certs but you also are showing employers that you are committed to
    keeping your skills active and up to date with the changing times. this
    also shows the employer that should they decide to go up to XP, you are
    ready immediately instead of having to study while the upgrade goes on
    around you. Makes a well rounded employee IMHO.

    Ok date night folks... celebrating my 3rd anniversary (6 feb but both kids
    are out of the house for the night so taking advantage)... I'll be around as
    always after tonight but keep in mind I start work on Monday so I may not be
    readily available at all times to answer questions. I will try to give
    timely advice whenever possible.

    --
    Sue *thoroughly enjoying this thread - real intelligence here... truely :) *
    Thugette #69

    Brat, Jan 31, 2004