    what are the chances of somebody looking at me with just an A+ cert. also
    have a networking diploma from Chubb which i feel is not worth much

    thanks
    LYNDA EID, Feb 21, 2004

  2. LYNDA EID

    Guest

    I too have no real valuable certifications (oh just vendor stuff. HPUX
    ADMIN, Gauntlet Firewall n such.

    Its my experience thats gotten me where i am. 8 years to be exact. I
    know with tons of hands on with almost every OS out there and real
    world experience I interview well technically.. Reason employers look
    at this is so many time they interview someone with no or limited (say
    1yr or less) in IT who maybe got a MCSE or CCNA but cant interview
    well technically cause they need the hands on. Anyways that my 2 cents
    but I am studying now for the A+. Currently i can pass virtually all
    the OS practice test but I have some boning up to do on the hardware
    details. I think certs plus my experience make me very marketable to
    employers

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:33:35 -0600, "Vanillasky"
    <> wrote:

    >If the "dont listen to people saying you cant do it" was directed at me, you
    >need to re-read my post.
    >
    >However, the scenario you described was definitely rare. If the people that
    >are reading resumes or doing the hiring worked on PC's n garages too, then
    >its a plus, but the norm is that it wont fly. I have finally landed a job
    >myself after 4 years of "blood sweat and tears" and I am loving every minute
    >of it. Pure tech. it is what I left the timber industry for after 14
    >years. I had 5 weeks vacation, 401k and a very good bennies. I wanted to
    >do something I could enjoy and became a student. Thankfully, the chance I
    >took finally paid off for me and my family.
    >
    >Once again, best of Luck Lynda
    >"mutt" <> wrote in message
    >> I do not understand all this. I currently have 0 (zero) certifications,

    >and
    >> just got a job a computer programmer. The job is entry level, but this is
    >> what I want to do. In my interview I mentioned that I was studying for

    >the
    >> A+ test. Next thing I know I am hired.
    >>
    >> I have about 10 years fixing computers in my garage for friends and
    >> neighbors. Got a couple of small businesses too. Not a lot to show on a
    >> resume. No formal education to speak of. I think it all comes down to the
    >> confidence that you show in your interview.
    >>
    >> And I am not going to be programming at all. I am going to work as a

    >network
    >> administrator and security officer. I have already been signed up for
    >> classes by the company I work for. Talk about getting lucky, hitting the
    >> jackpot.
    >>
    >> Anyway, point is no matter what level you are at, keep working at it and

    >do
    >> not listen to all the people that say you can not do it.
    >> "LYNDA EID" <> wrote in message
    >> > what are the chances of somebody looking at me with just an A+ cert.

    >also
    >> > have a networking diploma from Chubb which i feel is not worth much
    >> >

    >> > thanks

    , Feb 22, 2004

  3. LYNDA EID

    ap Guest

    A+ is a door opener. It does not really matter where you went to school.
    If you did well there and continue to pursue what you want to do you will
    get what you want.

    Have any of your classmates gotten jobs yet? The interview is the key, how
    well you present yourself. Do you show the employer the willingness to
    start near the bottom and be happy with it?

    ap, Feb 23, 2004