A career in Computer Security

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by A. Mahone, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. A. Mahone

    A. Mahone Guest

    Good morning,
    I'm an Italian University student (currently attending a MSc. in
    Computer Science), with a passion for Computer Security. So far, my
    University has given me 2 courses on Computer Security (of 6 ECTS
    each), which gave me a good overview and introduction on security
    protocols (SSH, SSL, SET, Kerberos, ecc...) and software (Snort,
    Metasploit framework, ecc..). But I want to study more of it, I want a
    career in this exiciting field (I admit, I like Computer Security also
    because there's a sense of power in this knowledge, more that other
    fields of Computer Science can give me).
    What path would you raccomend me? Drop from my MSc. (which doesn't
    have more security courses, only a course on NS2 and P2P networks)?
    Are there Universities in the world which have degrees only in
    Computer Security? I know about UAC in Arizona
    (http://www.hackerdegree.com), and the University of Aalboorg in
    Denmark, what do you think of them? Maybe it's better to concentrate
    instead on getting some certification (the CCSP, or the CompTIA
    Security+, or any other)?
    My dream would be to work for some consulting company, like
    Foundstone...
    Thanks for your advices
    A. Mahone, Jul 30, 2007

  2. A. Mahone

    jbx Guest

    > Good morning,
    > I'm an Italian University student (currently attending a MSc. in
    > Computer Science), with a passion for Computer Security. So far, my
    > University has given me 2 courses on Computer Security (of 6 ECTS
    > each), which gave me a good overview and introduction on security
    > protocols (SSH, SSL, SET, Kerberos, ecc...) and software (Snort,
    > Metasploit framework, ecc..). But I want to study more of it, I want a
    > career in this exiciting field (I admit, I like Computer Security also
    > because there's a sense of power in this knowledge, more that other
    > fields of Computer Science can give me).
    > What path would you raccomend me? Drop from my MSc. (which doesn't
    > have more security courses, only a course on NS2 and P2P networks)?
    > Are there Universities in the world which have degrees only in
    > Computer Security? I know about UAC in Arizona
    > (http://www.hackerdegree.com), and the University of Aalboorg in
    > Denmark, what do you think of them? Maybe it's better to concentrate
    > instead on getting some certification (the CCSP, or the CompTIA
    > Security+, or any other)?
    > My dream would be to work for some consulting company, like
    > Foundstone...
    > Thanks for your advices

    Have a look at this link, it might be in the career direction you are
    seeking.

    http://www.abertay.ac.uk/Courses/CDetails.cfm?CID=363&Key=003.001

    Rgds,

    jbx
    jbx, Jul 30, 2007

  3. A. Mahone

    Hans Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:16:57 GMT, A Mahone <> wrote:
    > Good morning,
    > I'm an Italian University student (currently attending a MSc. in
    > Computer Science), with a passion for Computer Security. So far, my
    > University has given me 2 courses on Computer Security (of 6 ECTS
    > each), which gave me a good overview and introduction on security
    > protocols (SSH, SSL, SET, Kerberos, ecc...) and software (Snort,
    > Metasploit framework, ecc..). But I want to study more of it, I want a
    > career in this exiciting field (I admit, I like Computer Security also
    > because there's a sense of power in this knowledge, more that other
    > fields of Computer Science can give me).
    > What path would you raccomend me? Drop from my MSc. (which doesn't
    > have more security courses, only a course on NS2 and P2P networks)?
    > Are there Universities in the world which have degrees only in
    > Computer Security? I know about UAC in Arizona
    > (http://www.hackerdegree.com),

    Well, if they will teach you about security then first ask them
    to fix their javascript. It is possible to inject xss into the
    command window.

    Hans
    --
    IM: 4all.nl
    http://lonki.xs4all.nl
    Hans, Jul 30, 2007
  4. A. Mahone

    A. Mahone Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:55:53 +0100, jbx <> wrote:

    >> Good morning,
    >> I'm an Italian University student (currently attending a MSc. in
    >> Computer Science), with a passion for Computer Security. So far, my
    >> University has given me 2 courses on Computer Security (of 6 ECTS
    >> each), which gave me a good overview and introduction on security
    >> protocols (SSH, SSL, SET, Kerberos, ecc...) and software (Snort,
    >> Metasploit framework, ecc..). But I want to study more of it, I want a
    >> career in this exiciting field (I admit, I like Computer Security also
    >> because there's a sense of power in this knowledge, more that other
    >> fields of Computer Science can give me).
    >> What path would you raccomend me? Drop from my MSc. (which doesn't
    >> have more security courses, only a course on NS2 and P2P networks)?
    >> Are there Universities in the world which have degrees only in
    >> Computer Security? I know about UAC in Arizona
    >> (http://www.hackerdegree.com), and the University of Aalboorg in
    >> Denmark, what do you think of them? Maybe it's better to concentrate
    >> instead on getting some certification (the CCSP, or the CompTIA
    >> Security+, or any other)?
    >> My dream would be to work for some consulting company, like
    >> Foundstone...
    >> Thanks for your advices

    >Have a look at this link, it might be in the career direction you are
    >seeking.
    >
    >http://www.abertay.ac.uk/Courses/CDetails.cfm?CID=363&Key=003.001
    >
    >Rgds,
    >
    >jbx

    I knew it, but it is a 4 years BSc., which I already have (in Italy,
    however, BSc. lasts 3 years). Isn't there something shorter, and more
    pratical oriented? I don't think it takes 4 years to became a white
    hat...
    A. Mahone, Jul 31, 2007
  5. A. Mahone

    Default User Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:16:57 GMT, A. Mahone <> wrote:

    >Are there Universities in the world which have degrees only in
    >Computer Security?

    Take a look at certification from ISC(2)
    https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi
    Default User, Jul 31, 2007
  6. A. Mahone

    Todd H. Guest

    Default User <> writes:

    > On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 21:16:57 GMT, A. Mahone <> wrote:
    >
    > >Are there Universities in the world which have degrees only in
    > >Computer Security?

    > Take a look at certification from ISC(2)
    > https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

    But note: CISSP certification requires experience in infosec.
    Learning the common body of knowledge however, is a good direction.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jul 31, 2007