    Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one months
    calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on the 8th of
    November?

    werd, Sep 7, 2005

  2. werd

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:37:50 GMT, "werd" <>
    wrote:

    >What exactly is 1 calendar month when in the context of employment stating 1
    >calendar months notice must be given if one wishes to terminate employment.
    >
    >Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one months
    >calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on the 8th of
    >November?

    I'd ask the person who wrote that contract. Most likely from the 8th
    to the 8th.

    Evan Platt, Sep 7, 2005

  3. werd wrote:

    > What exactly is 1 calendar month when in the context of employment stating 1
    > calendar months notice must be given if one wishes to terminate employment.
    >
    > Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one months
    > calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on the 8th of
    > November?

    Yes to the second interpretation.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 7, 2005
  4. werd

    John Lord Guest

    One calendar month is exactly what it's says, regardless of the day of the
    month

    John Lord, Sep 7, 2005
  5. werd

    Noel Paton Guest

    When I last quit a job, I handed in my notice on the 21st - and left on the
    21st of the next month.
    In the UK a calendar month usually runs from any given day to the same day
    the next month - it's when they get into more complex wording that the fun
    starts!
    All bets are off in the US<g>

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Sep 7, 2005
  6. werd wrote:
    > What exactly is 1 calendar month when in the context of employment stating 1
    > calendar months notice must be given if one wishes to terminate employment.
    >
    > Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one months
    > calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on the 8th of
    > November?

    A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long. Here in the U.S., 2
    weeks notice is pretty much the norm.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 7, 2005
  7. werd

    trout Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long.

    I *thought* this year was going quickly.
    --
    I 'd better get going on that Christmas shopping...

    trout, Sep 7, 2005
  8. werd

    Dolphin Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > werd wrote:
    >> What exactly is 1 calendar month when in the context of employment
    >> stating 1 calendar months notice must be given if one wishes to terminate
    >> employment.
    >>
    >> Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one
    >> months calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on
    >> the 8th of November?

    > A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long. Here in the U.S., 2 weeks
    > notice is pretty much the norm.

    And I thought all this time, that 2 weeks was a fortnight, go figure.

    Dolphin, Sep 7, 2005
  9. Dolphin wrote:

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> werd wrote:
    >>> What exactly is 1 calendar month when in the context of employment
    >>> stating 1 calendar months notice must be given if one wishes to terminate
    >>> employment.
    >>>
    >>> Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one
    >>> months calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on
    >>> the 8th of November?

    >> A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long. Here in the U.S., 2 weeks
    >> notice is pretty much the norm.

    > And I thought all this time, that 2 weeks was a fortnight, go figure.

    Must have something to do with daylight saving time...

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 7, 2005
  10. werd

    Mitch Guest

    In article <2eGTe.9336$>, John Lord
    <> wrote:

    > One calendar month is exactly what it's says, regardless of the day of the
    > month
    >
    > "werd" <> wrote in message
    > > What exactly is 1 calendar month when in the context of employment stating
    > > 1 calendar months notice must be given if one wishes to terminate
    > > employment.
    > >
    > > Must a calendar month begin on the 1st of a month or can I give one months
    > > calendar notice beginning on say the 8th of October and ending on the 8th
    > > of November?

    And what does it say?

    I thought it was a perfectly good question -- don't you understand it?

    The poster is asking if a calendar month is simply the length of time
    that month is (30 days) or if a calendar month requires a whole month
    by name to pass (September).

    Mitch, Sep 7, 2005
  11. werd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long.

    > I *thought* this year was going quickly.

    That does explain things, doesn't it <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 8, 2005
  12. werd

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>
    >>> A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long.

    >> I *thought* this year was going quickly.

    > That does explain things, doesn't it <g>

    Here in Canada, we usually just blame this type of thing on the
    Metric System.
    --
    And, of course, on the "Damned Government". *That* goes without
    saying...

    trout, Sep 8, 2005
  13. werd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> trout wrote:

    >>> I *thought* this year was going quickly.

    >> That does explain things, doesn't it <g>

    > Here in Canada, we usually just blame this type of thing on the
    > Metric System.

    Yeah - they keep threatening the metric system on us unsuspecting Americans.
    So far, we've been safe...

    Toolman Tim, Sep 8, 2005
  14. werd

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> That does explain things, doesn't it <g>

    >> Here in Canada, we usually just blame this type of thing on the
    >> Metric System.

    > Yeah - they keep threatening the metric system on us unsuspecting
    > Americans. So far, we've been safe...

    Yeah, you guys pulled that switch in the 60's. Half of the
    'selling-point' here was that "well, the Americans *say* they're
    adopting it, so soon the whole world will be...."
    --
    And then, one of the few times your politicians were scared by the
    grumbling masses.

    trout, Sep 8, 2005
  15. Rôgêr wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > A calendar month is usually about 2 weeks long. Here in the U.S.,
    > 2 weeks notice is pretty much the norm.

    Gawd! No wonder I feel so old....

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    May may a dozen drunken paleontologists eat worms in your Levi's.

    The Old Sourdough, Sep 8, 2005
  16. werd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> trout wrote:

    >>> Here in Canada, we usually just blame this type of thing on the
    >>> Metric System.

    >> Yeah - they keep threatening the metric system on us unsuspecting
    >> Americans. So far, we've been safe...

    > Yeah, you guys pulled that switch in the 60's. Half of the
    > 'selling-point' here was that "well, the Americans *say* they're
    > adopting it, so soon the whole world will be...."

    Too bad they don't listen anymore. They made me learn the basics in school,
    and actually, I'm fine with the metric system. I do some CAD work at the
    office, and often the drawings sent to me are metric. It really isn't hard,
    it's just unfamilar.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 8, 2005