A bugger's loose or what?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by radiosigs, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. radiosigs

    radiosigs Guest

    I'm on Me and dialup to a local number which really makes no difference
    because I use the MCI Neighborhood Plan which allows me unlimited access
    nationwide.

    My anti-virus program is free AVG6.0. I did use Norton 2003 downloaded from
    a disk plus all the updates but that AV program not only misses catching
    stuff but SLOWS DOWN my PC to a crawl. I do have a Pentium III at 1.1 gig
    speed but you'd never know it with Norton in there.

    My parasite killer is Adaware 6.1, something that's updated regularly.

    I got hit with two Trojan Horses both in my system restore file. One is the
    Downloader.Agent.2.BH and the other, Downloader.Small.6.BH. AVG told me that
    neither could be put into its virus vault so go live with it. What I did was
    to uninstall the AVG program then reinstalled it. After that I disabled
    SYSTEM RESTORE and ran two virus scans. Both came up "virus free." So I
    enabled SYSTEM RESTORE. However when I go offline and then try to dialup,
    the buggers must be back because I'm reading in MY COMPUTER that my name, as
    the main account holder is changed and so's my call in phone number to
    0043820822018528 which by extrapolation comes out to 208-201-8528 which is
    an Idaho exchange formerly used by EDGE WIRELESS, no longer in business.

    Yet, if I go into FIND FILES AND FOLDERS and type in RESTORE or SYSTEM
    RESTORE and run an AVG scan on them, my PC comes up virus free. Anyone know
    how to stamp out those annoying Trojans?

    Thank you.

    radiosigs, Aug 21, 2004

  2. radiosigs

    DC Guest

    radiosigs wrote:

    [...]

    > My parasite killer is Adaware 6.1, something that's updated regularly.

    Ad Aware has been updated. 6.1 is no longer the current engine.

    This might not help with the larger problem, but it couldn't hurt to
    update it.

    Good luck.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 21, 2004

  3. radiosigs

    madmax Guest

    radiosigs wrote:

    > I'm on Me and dialup to a local number which really makes no difference
    > because I use the MCI Neighborhood Plan which allows me unlimited access
    > nationwide.
    >
    > My anti-virus program is free AVG6.0. I did use Norton 2003 downloaded from
    > a disk plus all the updates but that AV program not only misses catching
    > stuff but SLOWS DOWN my PC to a crawl. I do have a Pentium III at 1.1 gig
    > speed but you'd never know it with Norton in there.
    >
    > My parasite killer is Adaware 6.1, something that's updated regularly.
    >
    > I got hit with two Trojan Horses both in my system restore file. One is the
    > Downloader.Agent.2.BH and the other, Downloader.Small.6.BH. AVG told me that
    > neither could be put into its virus vault so go live with it. What I did was
    > to uninstall the AVG program then reinstalled it. After that I disabled
    > SYSTEM RESTORE and ran two virus scans. Both came up "virus free." So I
    > enabled SYSTEM RESTORE. However when I go offline and then try to dialup,
    > the buggers must be back because I'm reading in MY COMPUTER that my name, as
    > the main account holder is changed and so's my call in phone number to
    > 0043820822018528 which by extrapolation comes out to 208-201-8528 which is
    > an Idaho exchange formerly used by EDGE WIRELESS, no longer in business.
    >
    > Yet, if I go into FIND FILES AND FOLDERS and type in RESTORE or SYSTEM
    > RESTORE and run an AVG scan on them, my PC comes up virus free. Anyone know
    > how to stamp out those annoying Trojans?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Try a couple of online scanners.You need to install more protection.
    See my site for links and tips.
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply

    madmax, Aug 21, 2004
  4. radiosigs

    Mike T. Guest

    "radiosigs" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    However when I go offline and then try to dialup,
    > the buggers must be back because I'm reading in MY COMPUTER that my name,

    as
    > the main account holder is changed and so's my call in phone number to
    > 0043820822018528 which by extrapolation comes out to 208-201-8528 which is
    > an Idaho exchange formerly used by EDGE WIRELESS, no longer in business.

    Actually, that could be a telephone number in Austria (43 is the country
    code there). Judging by your (unmunged, btw) e-mail address, you're in the
    US, where international calls start with 011. However, in most of the rest
    of the world, international access starts with 00. Also, the phone number
    layout can vary greatly depending on location. You may have picked up that
    dialer from a European site.

    Mike T

    Mike T., Aug 21, 2004
  5. radiosigs

    radiosigs Guest

    Yes I am in the USA and did call my phone company about it. I was told to
    call back Monday to allow them access to my
    actual phone records(that dept. closed on Sat. and Sun.) however the
    assistant told me that all actual calls from the USA to overseas must begin
    with 011 and all calls beginning 0043 are for operator assistance which are
    unchargeable. Thanks for your help but no one seems to know how to rid this
    PC of the crud causing the problems.

    radiosigs, Aug 21, 2004
  6. radiosigs

    Linda Guest

    "radiosigs" <> wrote in message
    > I'm on Me and dialup to a local number which really makes no difference
    > because I use the MCI Neighborhood Plan which allows me unlimited access
    > nationwide.
    >
    > My anti-virus program is free AVG6.0. I did use Norton 2003 downloaded
    > from
    > a disk plus all the updates but that AV program not only misses catching
    > stuff but SLOWS DOWN my PC to a crawl. I do have a Pentium III at 1.1 gig
    > speed but you'd never know it with Norton in there.
    >
    > My parasite killer is Adaware 6.1, something that's updated regularly.
    >
    > I got hit with two Trojan Horses both in my system restore file. One is
    > the
    > Downloader.Agent.2.BH and the other, Downloader.Small.6.BH. AVG told me
    > that
    > neither could be put into its virus vault so go live with it. What I did
    > was
    > to uninstall the AVG program then reinstalled it. After that I disabled
    > SYSTEM RESTORE and ran two virus scans. Both came up "virus free." So I
    > enabled SYSTEM RESTORE. However when I go offline and then try to dialup,
    > the buggers must be back because I'm reading in MY COMPUTER that my name,
    > as
    > the main account holder is changed and so's my call in phone number to
    > 0043820822018528 which by extrapolation comes out to 208-201-8528 which is
    > an Idaho exchange formerly used by EDGE WIRELESS, no longer in business.
    >
    > Yet, if I go into FIND FILES AND FOLDERS and type in RESTORE or SYSTEM
    > RESTORE and run an AVG scan on them, my PC comes up virus free. Anyone
    > know
    > how to stamp out those annoying Trojans?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Are you sure it's NAV that slows your PC down? a 1.1 GHz processor is
    relatively slow now, almost a dinosaur, & a significant amount of software
    available now was not intended to run on a PC that slow.

    --
    Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson

    Linda, Aug 21, 2004
  7. radiosigs

    > Yes I am in the USA and did call my phone company about it. I was told to
    > call back Monday to allow them access to my
    > actual phone records(that dept. closed on Sat. and Sun.) however the
    > assistant told me that all actual calls from the USA to overseas must

    begin
    > with 011 and all calls beginning 0043 are for operator assistance which

    are
    > unchargeable. Thanks for your help but no one seems to know how to rid

    this
    > PC of the crud causing the problems.

    Not a problem. I live in Germany, and if I dialed that munber, I would reach
    Austria. So, that was the first thing that came to mind. Hope you can get it
    solved.

    --
    Mike T
    Spiffy sig currently under development.