A Blockbuster - Neflix one month comparison

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by wunnuy, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    I am one of those long time Netflix people who was a victim of
    throttling. I complained and got dicked around and finally, because
    both my girlfriend and I have had it, decided to check out
    Blockbuster's service to see how it compared to Netflix. Here is a
    basic summary of what I found:

    The Netflix disks generally have a two-to-four (sometimes more) day
    turnover (although over the last few months it's been a week sometimes
    before I get disks back, some disks never come but if you have Netflix
    you know how it is).
    Blockbuster anywhere from three days to never (more on that)

    One day I put all three Netflix disks and all three Blockbuster disks
    in the mail the same time. I recieved my next two Netflix disks TWO
    days later and the third one four days later. Two of the blockbuster
    disks came five days and the other a week.

    The soonest turn over for Blockbuster disks was three days and it
    happened once.

    Netflix picks the disks off your queue in the order you put them.

    Blockbuster seems to randomly pull disks off your queue without any
    reasoning. I had ten disks in my queue, ALL available and it took the
    tenth one, skipping the nine before it.

    When sending a complaint to Netflix the response has generally come
    within 5 to 7 days.
    Blockbuster within 24 hours (along with a survey to rate your
    complaint's response)

    When adding a TV series to your queue, Netflix adds the whole season.
    Blockbuster adds the first one, then asks if you want the rest of the
    season (which can be good or bad depending on how you prefer to watch
    them).

    Both services sent TV shows out of order (getting disk 2 before disk 1
    - at least with Blockbuster, it was Nightgallery so it didn't matter).
    With Netflix, they said they sent both disks the same time, but one
    came three days before the other and there's no way that's the mail's
    fault.

    To summarize, I thought Netflix had gotten bad. It used to be a GREAT
    service and its answer to all the competition popping up was to get
    worse. With that said, Blockbuster makes Netflix look like the greatest
    service in the world. It's been a week now and I haven't received any
    new disks from Blockbuster. I am not kidding. My "sent disks" is empty,
    yet I've got all these available movies in my queue. I emailed them to
    find out what was up. I have 8 movies in the queue and up until today,
    they were all available. The response was that I needed to put more
    movies in my queue, they recommend at least 30. I emailed back saying
    what does it matter if the 8 I have are available. Now I see only two
    are available, yet still nothing has been sent. In that time, I have
    sent and received two sets of 3 Netflix disks. My trial month with
    Blockbuster isn't even over but I'm canceling today. It is absolutely
    the worst service you could imagine. I'm going to stick with the lesser
    of two evils at the moment until a reliable service can be created
    somewhere...
    wunnuy, Dec 14, 2005

  2. wunnuy

    Guest

    Lot's of folks will jump in here and say it's the mail's fault, or that
    Netflix is sending your discs from 13 different shipping centers
    (nevermind that they all have the same return address). I'll just say
    that if you're mostly a TV series watcher (as I am), sending discs out
    of order is a great way to throttle a subscriber. Very few series can
    be watched in random order. I noticed this a few times when I last
    belonged, exactly what happened to you. Two discs supposedly mailed on
    the same day, they always arrived either together or out of order.
    Never once did the first disc come, then the 2nd the next day.

    I found it suspicious.

    -beaumon
    , Dec 15, 2005

  3. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    wrote:
    > Lot's of folks will jump in here and say it's the mail's fault, or that
    > Netflix is sending your discs from 13 different shipping centers
    > (nevermind that they all have the same return address). I'll just say
    > that if you're mostly a TV series watcher (as I am), sending discs out
    > of order is a great way to throttle a subscriber. Very few series can
    > be watched in random order. I noticed this a few times when I last
    > belonged, exactly what happened to you. Two discs supposedly mailed on
    > the same day, they always arrived either together or out of order.
    > Never once did the first disc come, then the 2nd the next day.

    Yes, I'm not home a lot and hardly watch TV, most of my TV watching is
    really late at night via DVD and right now most of my netflix stuff is
    TV series I've never seen (I don't even have cable, that's how much TV
    I watch). Most of the movies in my queue are from my girlfriend. I have
    found that putting a movie in between disk one and two of a TV series
    is a better way to make sure you don't get the second disk before the
    first. If you have them back to back in your queue, with their awful
    service you're bound to get part two first (which happened to me a few
    weeks ago which is why I decided to try Blockbuster).
    wunnuy, Dec 15, 2005
  4. wunnuy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I'll just say
    > that if you're mostly a TV series watcher (as I am), sending discs out
    > of order is a great way to throttle a subscriber. Very few series can
    > be watched in random order.

    Although other people here might yell at me for what I'm going to say,
    this is the perfect use for a DVD ripping program.

    When you get disk 2 of the TV series, rip it to your PC and then send it
    back. Keep these ripped copies only until you have watched them, then
    delete them.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Dec 15, 2005
  5. wunnuy

    Large Farva Guest

    "wunnuy" <> wrote in message
    >I am one of those long time Netflix people who was a victim of
    > throttling. I complained and got dicked around and finally, because
    > both my girlfriend and I have had it, decided to check out
    > Blockbuster's service to see how it compared to Netflix. Here is a
    > basic summary of what I found:
    >
    > The Netflix disks generally have a two-to-four (sometimes more) day
    > turnover (although over the last few months it's been a week sometimes
    > before I get disks back, some disks never come but if you have Netflix
    > you know how it is).
    > Blockbuster anywhere from three days to never (more on that)

    Agreed. Blockbuster is useless to me. Here's why:

    1) You can no longer use the in store coupons to rent games. Why would I
    want to rent MOVIES? I have the ONLINE SERVICE for that.

    2) With Blockbuster, the day you cancel your month, they stop sending discs.
    I recently signed up for a month and cancelled the next day (partly because
    of the coupon fiasco, partly because I knew I only wanted 1 month and didn't
    want to forget to cancel). I ASSUMED that since the month was PRE PAID I
    would get movies for the rest of the month I paid for. Guess what? Nope.
    They stopped. I've been going back and fourth with customer service and they
    keep telling me "sorry, there's nothing we can do because you chose to
    cancel". I paid $19 and got like a weeks worth of movies.

    I finally just said "okay, that's fine". I signed back up for another month.
    They're going to get lots of broken discs back..if at all.
    Large Farva, Dec 15, 2005
  6. wunnuy

    Biz Guest

    Actually I think thats a perfectly legitimate use for occasionally ripping a
    title or titles. It may not be legal, but if you delete it after watching
    it, I say no harm or foul...

    Biz, Dec 15, 2005
  7. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    >> Although other people here might yell at me for what I'm going to say,

    > this is the perfect use for a DVD ripping program.
    >
    > When you get disk 2 of the TV series, rip it to your PC and then send it
    > back. Keep these ripped copies only until you have watched them, then
    > delete them.

    Oh yeah, that's exactly what I do. I don't have time to watch them when
    they come in, I just burn them and watch them when I have a chance. But
    for example when the TV part 2 came in, I was caught up on disks so I
    had to wait for the part 1 to get in.
    wunnuy, Dec 15, 2005
  8. On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:20:24 GMT, "Large Farva" <>
    wrote:

    >I've been going back and fourth with customer service and they
    >keep telling me "sorry, there's nothing we can do because you chose to
    >cancel". I paid $19 and got like a weeks worth of movies.

    Call your credit card company, explain that you have made several
    attempts to correct the matter but the company refuses to work with
    you, and ask for a chargeback.
    Buffalo Soldier, Dec 15, 2005
  9. wunnuy

    Justin Guest

    wunnuy wrote on [14 Dec 2005 15:28:30 -0800]:
    > Both services sent TV shows out of order (getting disk 2 before disk 1
    > - at least with Blockbuster, it was Nightgallery so it didn't matter).
    > With Netflix, they said they sent both disks the same time, but one
    > came three days before the other and there's no way that's the mail's
    > fault.

    Why is there no way that it's the mail's fault?
    Some mail does indeed get stuck and lost for days and years at a time.
    Justin, Dec 15, 2005
  10. wunnuy

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [14 Dec 2005 16:37:35 -0800]:
    > Lot's of folks will jump in here and say it's the mail's fault, or that
    > Netflix is sending your discs from 13 different shipping centers
    > (nevermind that they all have the same return address). I'll just say

    So? Amazon packages usually have the same return address yet they get
    shipped from all over
    Justin, Dec 15, 2005
  11. wunnuy

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:32:04 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    > wrote on [14 Dec 2005 16:37:35 -0800]:
    >> Lot's of folks will jump in here and say it's the mail's fault, or that
    >> Netflix is sending your discs from 13 different shipping centers
    >> (nevermind that they all have the same return address). I'll just say

    >So? Amazon packages usually have the same return address yet they get
    >shipped from all over

    Maybe NF wants these discs to be returned to a different location so
    that they can build up their inventory.
    Bob, Dec 15, 2005
  12. wunnuy

    Bob Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:30:55 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >> Both services sent TV shows out of order (getting disk 2 before disk 1
    >> - at least with Blockbuster, it was Nightgallery so it didn't matter).
    >> With Netflix, they said they sent both disks the same time, but one
    >> came three days before the other and there's no way that's the mail's
    >> fault.

    >Why is there no way that it's the mail's fault?
    >Some mail does indeed get stuck and lost for days and years at a time.

    Once in a while it does happen but not with such regularity.
    Bob, Dec 15, 2005
  13. wunnuy

    Large Farva Guest

    "Buffalo Soldier" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 02:20:24 GMT, "Large Farva" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I've been going back and fourth with customer service and they
    >>keep telling me "sorry, there's nothing we can do because you chose to
    >>cancel". I paid $19 and got like a weeks worth of movies.

    > Call your credit card company, explain that you have made several
    > attempts to correct the matter but the company refuses to work with
    > you, and ask for a chargeback.

    I thought about that, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle becuase
    they keep saying I agreed to their terms.
    Large Farva, Dec 15, 2005
  14. wunnuy

    Justin Guest

    Bob wrote on [Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:47:58 GMT]:
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:30:55 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Both services sent TV shows out of order (getting disk 2 before disk 1
    >>> - at least with Blockbuster, it was Nightgallery so it didn't matter).
    >>> With Netflix, they said they sent both disks the same time, but one
    >>> came three days before the other and there's no way that's the mail's
    >>> fault.

    >>Why is there no way that it's the mail's fault?
    >>Some mail does indeed get stuck and lost for days and years at a time.

    > Once in a while it does happen but not with such regularity.

    Bullshit. I get mail delayed all the time. No rhyme or reason. Often two
    pieces from the same sender sent on the same date from the same place.
    Justin, Dec 15, 2005
  15. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Bob wrote on [Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:47:58 GMT]:
    > >>Some mail does indeed get stuck and lost for days and years at a time.

    > > Once in a while it does happen but not with such regularity.

    > Bullshit. I get mail delayed all the time. No rhyme or reason. Often two
    > pieces from the same sender sent on the same date from the same place.

    I live in LA, not some shithole in the midwest somewhere. Rarely does
    anything ever take a long time to get delivered. The ONLY mail I ever
    have that ever gets delayed is Netflix. I can't think of one thing
    that was delayed mailwise in recent memory. I'll send stuff from LA to
    SF and it's there the next day. The whole "it's the mails fault, not
    Netflix" is the biggest piece of shit copout bullshit I've ever heard,
    especially when they admit to throttling.
    wunnuy, Dec 15, 2005
  16. wunnuy

    Justin Guest

    wunnuy wrote on [15 Dec 2005 08:24:27 -0800]:

    > Justin wrote:
    >> Bob wrote on [Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:47:58 GMT]:
    >> >
    >> > Once in a while it does happen but not with such regularity.

    >> Bullshit. I get mail delayed all the time. No rhyme or reason. Often two
    >> pieces from the same sender sent on the same date from the same place.

    > I live in LA, not some shithole in the midwest somewhere.

    So, you live in a shithole on the coast, big deal.

    > Rarely does
    > anything ever take a long time to get delivered. The ONLY mail I ever
    > have that ever gets delayed is Netflix.

    That you know of. Do you know when your bills get mailed and when they
    arrive? Do you even know that all the discs shipped by Netflix are
    coming from the same service centre?
    Justin, Dec 15, 2005
  17. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > wunnuy wrote on [15 Dec 2005 08:24:27 -0800]:
    > > >

    > > I live in LA, not some shithole in the midwest somewhere.

    > So, you live in a shithole on the coast, big deal.

    No, I think you misread my post. I said I live in Los angeles. Not some
    bumfuck shithole in the midwest or on the coast. Los Angeles.

    > > Rarely does
    > > anything ever take a long time to get delivered. The ONLY mail I ever
    > > have that ever gets delayed is Netflix.

    > That you know of. Do you know when your bills get mailed and when they
    > arrive? Do you even know that all the discs shipped by Netflix are
    > coming from the same service centre?

    Yes. My bills all come the exact same time every month. I send a lot of
    stuff via us mail and I can't remember one thing that was late or took
    a long time. Stick up for your beloved Netflix all you like. You're not
    going to convince anyone here it's the mail's fault stuff comes late,
    especially when Netflix admits to throttling.
    wunnuy, Dec 15, 2005
  18. wunnuy

    Justin Guest

    wunnuy wrote on [15 Dec 2005 10:36:01 -0800]:

    > Justin wrote:
    >> wunnuy wrote on [15 Dec 2005 08:24:27 -0800]:
    >> > >
    >> > I live in LA, not some shithole in the midwest somewhere.

    >> So, you live in a shithole on the coast, big deal.

    > No, I think you misread my post. I said I live in Los angeles. Not some
    > bumfuck shithole in the midwest or on the coast. Los Angeles.

    Yes, a bumfuck shithole on the coast.

    >> > Rarely does
    >> > anything ever take a long time to get delivered. The ONLY mail I ever
    >> > have that ever gets delayed is Netflix.

    >> That you know of. Do you know when your bills get mailed and when they
    >> arrive? Do you even know that all the discs shipped by Netflix are
    >> coming from the same service centre?

    > Yes. My bills all come the exact same time every month. I send a lot of
    > stuff via us mail and I can't remember one thing that was late or took
    > a long time. Stick up for your beloved Netflix all you like. You're not
    > going to convince anyone here it's the mail's fault stuff comes late,
    > especially when Netflix admits to throttling.

    I don't use Netflix, never have. The mail is not this perfect thing you
    think it is.
    Justin, Dec 15, 2005
  19. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > wunnuy wrote on [15 Dec 2005 10:36:01 -0800]:
    >> > No, I think you misread my post. I said I live in Los angeles. Not some

    > > bumfuck shithole in the midwest or on the coast. Los Angeles.

    > Yes, a bumfuck shithole on the coast.

    No, I think you misread my post. I said I live in Los angeles. Not some
    bumfuck shithole in the midwest or on the coast. Los Angeles.

    > I don't use Netflix, never have. The mail is not this perfect thing you
    > think it is.

    I never said it was perfect. If you can show me the post I said teh PO
    was perfect I'll be happy to eat a bug. I said people like you want to
    blame the PO for Netflix's scumminess, instead of the problem: Netflix.
    In my life I'm sure I've had stuff arrive late. But to claim Netflix's
    (and Blockbuster for that matter) late disks arriving is all the US
    Postal service's problem is idiotic, and again, especially when NETFLIX
    ADMITS TO THROTTLING!

    May I suggest you read the whole thread before making comments like
    yours? Thanks!
    wunnuy, Dec 15, 2005
  20. wunnuy

    Justin Guest

    You really are a rude and ignorant ****, aren't you

    >> I don't use Netflix, never have. The mail is not this perfect thing you
    >> think it is.

    > I never said it was perfect. If you can show me the post I said teh PO

    "With Netflix, they said they sent both disks the same time, but one came three days before the other and there's no way that's the mail's fault. "

    That right there says the PO is perfect and it's not possible for it to
    be their fault.

    > was perfect I'll be happy to eat a bug. I said people like you want to
    > blame the PO for Netflix's scumminess, instead of the problem: Netflix.

    Or perhaps you're an idiot
    Justin, Dec 15, 2005