A Black Bear

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by silverthreads, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. silverthreads, Nov 12, 2006

  2. On 12 Nov 2006 14:34:34 -0800, "silverthreads"
    <> wrote:

    >On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
    >touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
    >photograph this Black Bear.
    >http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

    Beautiful shot!

    Lucky you. I've walked nearly 3/4 of the
    Appalachian Trail, and never seen a bear.

    Closest I got were some very fresh tracks,
    in New Jersey, a couple of months ago.

    I've often wondered just what I'd do if
    I *did* have a close encounter...

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Nov 12, 2006

  3. silverthreads

    Fred Lebow Guest

    "silverthreads" <> wrote in message
    > On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
    > touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
    > photograph this Black Bear.
    > http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

    He looks cute!
    Great shot?
    He also looks very scared of you...?

    Thanks
    Fred

    Fred Lebow, Nov 13, 2006
  4. silverthreads

    Errol Groff Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
    >touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
    >photograph this Black Bear.
    >http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

    Here is one of my favorite bear photos. Roy Bear and his pal Eddie
    Moose pretending to be with Col. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine at
    Little Round Top Gettysburg PA.

    http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/images/Gettysburg Little Round Top 4.jpg

    Got no grandkids and too much free time!

    Errol Groff

    Errol Groff, Nov 13, 2006
  5. silverthreads

    Guest

    silverthreads wrote:
    > On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
    > touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
    > photograph this Black Bear.
    > http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

    You get the best bear pictures by sneaking up on them and putting salt
    on their tail.

    Good luck,
    Ron

    , Nov 13, 2006
  6. silverthreads

    Guest

    > rafe b
    > www.terrapinphoto.com

    Hi Rafe,
    I looked at your site expecting to see tons of turtle pics. Here is
    one I just finished:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/WesternBoxTurtle/photo#4993213860394631186

    If you start the slideshow here:

    http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/WesternBoxTurtle/photo#4993756686071037970

    You can see how I fixed the nose.

    It is easy to get turtle pictures where I am. We also have things
    called Horned Toad Lizards , they look like little dinosaurs, that will
    be my goal for next summer.

    Thanks,
    Ron

    , Nov 13, 2006
  7. On 12 Nov 2006 17:14:11 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >> rafe b
    >> www.terrapinphoto.com

    >Hi Rafe,
    >I looked at your site expecting to see tons of turtle pics. Here is
    >one I just finished:
    >
    >http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/WesternBoxTurtle/photo#4993213860394631186
    >
    >If you start the slideshow here:
    >
    >http://picasaweb.google.com/ronviers/WesternBoxTurtle/photo#4993756686071037970
    >
    >You can see how I fixed the nose.
    >
    >It is easy to get turtle pictures where I am. We also have things
    >called Horned Toad Lizards , they look like little dinosaurs, that will
    >be my goal for next summer.

    Your pictures are wonderful.

    The name of my site is deliberately obtuse.

    Some folks guess it's related to a basketball
    team (in Virginia, I think) but no....

    Hint: it's related to a long-defunct rock & roll band.
    It's also the trail name that I use on the A.T.

    I've never been much of a wildlife photogapher.
    Damn critters won't sit still.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, Nov 13, 2006
  8. silverthreads

    Guest

    Greg _ wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Raphael Bustin <> wrote:
    >
    > > Damn critters won't sit still.

    > Is that why you photograph turtles :^)

    > www.gregblankphoto.com

    Just because they can't run away does not mean they sit still. They
    watch for you to press the shutter then they close their little shell
    door. Plus they like to hang in the beds of harvester ants and those
    things hurt.

    Ron

    , Nov 13, 2006
  9. silverthreads

    Greg \_\ Guest

    --
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
    the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

    Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
    and never looking back.

    www.gregblankphoto.com

    Greg \_\, Nov 13, 2006
  10. Unless it is a unique bear and the unique up on him...unbearable!

    silverthreads, Nov 13, 2006
  11. There was about a 300' gulch betwixt the bear and the throng of
    onlookers. The original spotter had been there six hours and watch him
    eating out of three different trees. If fear was going to force him to
    rush us, he was certainly biding his sweet time.

    silverthreads, Nov 13, 2006
  12. silverthreads

    Guest

    silverthreads wrote:
    > Unless it is a unique bear and the unique up on him...unbearable!

    You did NOT just say that.

    , Nov 13, 2006
  13. There was one onlooker in the throng that said he had been waiting for
    26 years to get a sighting like this. The last time I saw a bear in the
    park was in '72. There were some guys who said they had a sighting at
    Crazy Mountain, MT when I was up there in September.

    silverthreads, Nov 13, 2006
  14. silverthreads

    John Turco Guest

    Fred Lebow wrote:

    > "silverthreads" <> wrote in message
    > > On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
    > > touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
    > > photograph this Black Bear.
    > > http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

    > He looks cute!
    > Great shot?
    > He also looks very scared of you...?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Fred

    Hello, Fred:

    No, I think he's suffering from acrophobia! :)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 14, 2006
  15. ? "John Turco" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Fred Lebow wrote:
    > >
    > > "silverthreads" <> wrote in message
    > > > On Saturday Novaember 10, 2006 Becky, Joey (my grandson) and I, while
    > > > touring the Great Smoky Mountains National Park had an opportunity to
    > > > photograph this Black Bear.
    > > > http://static.flickr.com/117/295750864_0eee958047_o.jpg

    > > He looks cute!
    > > Great shot?
    > > He also looks very scared of you...?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Fred

    > Hello, Fred:
    >
    > No, I think he's suffering from acrophobia! :)

    Yeah. most animals are afraid of Man ;-)With the exception of tamed pets.And
    when they attack in the wild it's mostly because of their angst.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Nov 14, 2006