A bit PO'd about the MASH sets...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan, May 24, 2006.

  1. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
    decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
    been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
    etc. But hey, you take what you can get.

    I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
    little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
    this stunner:

    "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
    The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
    All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"

    Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
    your company $300.

    Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, May 24, 2006

  2. Jordan

    Morgan Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
    > decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
    > been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
    > etc. But hey, you take what you can get.
    >
    > I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
    > little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
    > this stunner:
    >
    > "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
    > The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
    > All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"
    >
    > Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
    > your company $300.
    >
    > Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    > of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.
    >
    > - Jordan

    I too have collected these sets (I haven't picked up season 10 yet), and
    that's fucked up! They need to give those of us who have spent more money
    on the individual sets than those who will buy the all-in-one set something
    special. Why? Because if we didn't buy the individual sets, they wouldn't
    have continued putting the sets out after season 1. They should really
    thank us better than that. A mail-in bonus disc and a nice box to put them
    in would be nice. Now I'm getting worried about other shows I'm collecting.
    Should I even bother buying DVD sets now if they're going to offer more
    extras and, no doubt, smaller packaging at a cheaper price later? Didn't
    they do that with "Buffy..." and "Sex and the City" as well? Maybe I'll
    learn to be more patient before I buy--copy rentals and friend's discs until
    the big set comes out. And why the hell would they put that flyer INSIDE
    the season 10!?! How stupid is that?

    Morgan
    Morgan, May 24, 2006

  3. Jordan

    thursday@9 Guest

    And yet the television, motion pictures and music industry gets upset
    when they discover that people download their entertainment for free.
    thursday@9, May 24, 2006
  4. Jordan

    Guest

    Morgan wrote:
    > "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
    > > decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
    > > been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
    > > etc. But hey, you take what you can get.
    > >
    > > I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
    > > little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
    > > this stunner:
    > >
    > > "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
    > > The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
    > > All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"
    > >
    > > Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
    > > your company $300.
    > >
    > > Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    > > of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.
    > >
    > > - Jordan

    > I too have collected these sets (I haven't picked up season 10 yet), and
    > that's fucked up! They need to give those of us who have spent more money
    > on the individual sets than those who will buy the all-in-one set something
    > special. Why? Because if we didn't buy the individual sets, they wouldn't
    > have continued putting the sets out after season 1. They should really
    > thank us better than that. A mail-in bonus disc and a nice box to put them
    > in would be nice. Now I'm getting worried about other shows I'm collecting.
    > Should I even bother buying DVD sets now if they're going to offer more
    > extras and, no doubt, smaller packaging at a cheaper price later? Didn't
    > they do that with "Buffy..." and "Sex and the City" as well? Maybe I'll
    > learn to be more patient before I buy--copy rentals and friend's discs until
    > the big set comes out. And why the hell would they put that flyer INSIDE
    > the season 10!?! How stupid is that?
    >
    > Morgan

    After reading the OP I too felt a little miffed at having spent $25-30+
    apiece over the last five years just to get this "news" so close to the
    end but then I remembered the reason I bought the individual sets all
    this time was to get the series on dvd with the hopes the releases
    would continue till "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen". I had no
    expectations of extras as each new individual season came out so if we
    get left out in the end I'll be disappointed but life wouldn't end.

    This ad in season 10 (which I'll pick up soon; OP thanks for the
    reminder!) does shed light that the entire series will be on dvd and
    not end prematurely. I wonder how many tv series were started to be
    released on dvd but never made it till their series finale. After all
    this time of buying individual sets the only real "extra" I'd like to
    see from Fox would be the short-lived "After M*A*S*H" series released
    on dvd to complete the series. All the years I grew up watching Mash
    they never included these in the syndication package and since I was
    only 9 when it originally aired I don't remember them.
    , May 24, 2006
  5. Jordan

    Guest

    wrote:
    > [...]
    > I wonder how many tv series were started to be
    > released on dvd but never made it till their series finale.

    TWIN PEAKS, for one.

    Lucky for me I have the compete laserdisc set.
    , May 24, 2006
  6. Jordan

    Guest

    Add to that Showtime's JEREMIAH, and EVERWOOD. In the case of EVERWOOD
    it remains to be seen, but as far as I know only season 1 has come out
    (quite some time ago) and they have several more seasons in the can.
    Don't bode well in my opinion.

    -beaumon
    , May 24, 2006
  7. Jordan

    Bratboy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Add to that Showtime's JEREMIAH, and EVERWOOD. In the case of EVERWOOD
    > it remains to be seen, but as far as I know only season 1 has come out
    > (quite some time ago) and they have several more seasons in the can.
    > Don't bode well in my opinion.
    >
    > -beaumon

    Well BBC is guilty of this as well. For example with the New Doctor Who
    episodes they first put out as barebones dvd's of the show then after they
    finished season 1 they put out a set with extra's and goodies, glad I
    waited, & they have already doing it again with Season 2. Seem to recall
    many fustraited early buyers. Maybe they will offer some sort of deal
    concerning MASH, say something like if you already own some seasons and buy
    the uber set you get a few bucks back for each set. Sorta like the way they
    did with the LotR where you could send in Proof of purchase for buying
    standard & later the extended and get back $5. It wouldnt be that much but
    I'd imagine anything is better than nothing.
    Bratboy, May 24, 2006
  8. Jordan

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    Bratboy wrote:
    > Well BBC is guilty of this as well. For example with the New Doctor Who
    > episodes they first put out as barebones dvd's of the show then after they
    > finished season 1 they put out a set with extra's and goodies

    I'm pretty sure the BBC made it perfectly clear at the time what their
    release plan was going to be in regards to the simple and quick
    versions versus the later full-set version.
    SoHillsGuy, May 24, 2006
  9. Jordan

    Goro Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > I wonder how many tv series were started to be
    > > released on dvd but never made it till their series finale.

    > TWIN PEAKS, for one.
    >
    > Lucky for me I have the compete laserdisc set.

    i thought i heard tht S2 was being worked on, or going to be released
    in R2 or something. S2 boxset to include S1's pilot episode, too. Not
    sure where i heard this as it was a while ago.

    -goro-
    Goro, May 24, 2006
  10. Jordan

    Bratboy Guest

    "SoHillsGuy" <> wrote in message

    > Bratboy wrote:
    >> Well BBC is guilty of this as well. For example with the New Doctor Who
    >> episodes they first put out as barebones dvd's of the show then after
    >> they
    >> finished season 1 they put out a set with extra's and goodies

    > I'm pretty sure the BBC made it perfectly clear at the time what their
    > release plan was going to be in regards to the simple and quick
    > versions versus the later full-set version.

    No idea if they did or not, it wasnt till well after several bare bones were
    out before they even announced what would be in the full season set. I do
    recall tho that when they announced the Season set there were many upset was
    all. Still better to find out partway thru the 1st season than buying 10
    season sets only to find out a better full set is coming. Almost sounds like
    a G. Lucas SW stunt hehe
    Bratboy, May 24, 2006
  11. Jordan

    Morgan Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> I wonder how many tv series were started to be
    >> released on dvd but never made it till their series finale.

    > TWIN PEAKS, for one.
    >
    > Lucky for me I have the compete laserdisc set.

    I recently read that Lynch is working on Season 2 of Twin Peaks while
    editing his new film, and it's to be released by end of the year. But then,
    I've heard that before...

    Morgan
    Morgan, May 24, 2006
  12. Jordan

    GMAN Guest

    In article <tCOcg.177522$bm6.80751@fed1read04>, "Morgan" <> wrote:
    >"Jordan" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
    >> decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
    >> been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
    >> etc. But hey, you take what you can get.
    >>
    >> I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
    >> little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
    >> this stunner:
    >>
    >> "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
    >> The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
    >> All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"
    >>
    >> Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
    >> your company $300.
    >>
    >> Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    >> of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.
    >>
    >> - Jordan

    >I too have collected these sets (I haven't picked up season 10 yet), and
    >that's fucked up! They need to give those of us who have spent more money
    >on the individual sets than those who will buy the all-in-one set something
    >special. Why? Because if we didn't buy the individual sets, they wouldn't
    >have continued putting the sets out after season 1. They should really
    >thank us better than that. A mail-in bonus disc and a nice box to put them
    >in would be nice. Now I'm getting worried about other shows I'm collecting.
    >Should I even bother buying DVD sets now if they're going to offer more
    >extras and, no doubt, smaller packaging at a cheaper price later? Didn't
    >they do that with "Buffy..." and "Sex and the City" as well? Maybe I'll
    >learn to be more patient before I buy--copy rentals and friend's discs until
    >the big set comes out. And why the hell would they put that flyer INSIDE
    >the season 10!?! How stupid is that?
    >
    >Morgan

    And George Lucas should give me a purple heart for all the Star Wars versions i
    have bought over the years!
    GMAN, May 25, 2006
  13. Jordan

    Rich Clark Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > I've been picking up the MASH sets at $30 a pop because a) it's a
    > decent price and b) there really wasn't any alternative. It would have
    > been nice to have had them all with extra features, commentary tracks,
    > etc. But hey, you take what you can get.
    >
    > I picked up set 10 today, the 2nd to the last set... Packed in it was a
    > little ad for set 11 (due in November). On the back side though was
    > this stunner:
    >
    > "Announcing the ultimate MASH collector's set!
    > The Complete TV Series - All 11 Seasons PLUS
    > All-New Extras Not Available Anywhere Else!"
    >
    > Gee, thanks a lot Fox. That's exactly what I wanted to see after giving
    > your company $300.
    >
    > Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    > of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.

    It's easy to understand your reaction; I've been collecting the sets
    too, and felt the same knee-jerk when I saw that.

    But wait. Each time I spent that $28 at Amazon for a new season I knew
    exactly what I was getting, and it was a price I was willing to pay.
    Fox was completely clear about the nature of the product. There was no
    false advertising. The entire transaction was open and above board,
    with no deception anywhere. A perfect contract.

    So now, suddenly, what? I should expect them to give me something
    extra, for free, because... they're offering a different deal to
    different customers who didn't participate in the original deal. Our
    deal did not include "unidentified future bonus content to be named
    later."

    Most things drop in price after the newness is gone, unless they become
    rare. What we got for our money was ownership of the episodes on DVD as
    soon as they were available, something buyers of the new set won't get.
    They will get a bonus disc (and probably a lower price) that we didn't.
    This has happened before, notably the recent Buffy re-release.

    There were a lot of potential customers who didn't collect the
    individual sets who might bite at a complete set at a reduced price
    with new extras. Fox has every right to market to those customers, and
    offering them an "exclusive" extra is just part of that marketing.

    When the Buffy box was announced, many people sold their season sets on
    eBay, and bought the new box -- and even came out ahead on the deal.

    Personally, I'm glad I bought the seasons. I've enjoyed them as they
    appeared, and they've been nice to have for hotel rooms and airplanes.
    Knowing about this new box doesn't make me wish I'd waited. Meanwhile,
    we'll see if this new bonus material amounts to anything. If it does, I
    expect there will be a way for us to see it without buying the new set.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, May 25, 2006
  14. Jordan

    Tarkus Guest

    On 5/25/2006 7:40:14 AM, Rich Clark wrote:

    > But wait. Each time I spent that $28 at Amazon for a new season I knew
    > exactly what I was getting, and it was a price I was willing to pay.
    > Fox was completely clear about the nature of the product. There was no
    > false advertising. The entire transaction was open and above board,
    > with no deception anywhere. A perfect contract.
    >
    > So now, suddenly, what? I should expect them to give me something
    > extra, for free, because... they're offering a different deal to
    > different customers who didn't participate in the original deal. Our
    > deal did not include "unidentified future bonus content to be named
    > later."

    You must be lost. Your perfect logic has no place here.
    --
    "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    days and doesn't die."

    Now playing: "U.F.O. - Love Lost Love"
    Tarkus, May 25, 2006
  15. On 25 May 2006 07:40:14 -0700, "Rich Clark" <> wrote:

    >> Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    >> of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.

    >So now, suddenly, what? I should expect them to give me something
    >extra, for free, because...

    Who said anything about "free"? If Fox cares about their customers,
    they'll offer the new extras as a disc that can be purchased separately,
    like A&E has done.

    Kimba W. Lion, May 25, 2006
  16. Jordan

    Rich Clark Guest

    Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > On 25 May 2006 07:40:14 -0700, "Rich Clark" <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Anyone have contact info for them? They should do something for those
    > >> of us who bought the single season sets as they came out.

    > >So now, suddenly, what? I should expect them to give me something
    > >extra, for free, because...

    > Who said anything about "free"? If Fox cares about their customers,
    > they'll offer the new extras as a disc that can be purchased separately,
    > like A&E has done.

    I'n not saying it wouldn't be nice, although a free bonus disc made to
    sell a discounted re-release is unlikely to be something many people
    would be willing to pay for.

    What I object to is the sense of entitlement I get from people who
    complain when stuff like this happens, and the complaints that what
    used to be an acceptable deal suddenly becomes a ripoff because the
    replacement product is more attractive and/or cheaper.

    Should Apple offer make-goods to owners of older iPods because the new
    ones support video? Should Hyundai retrofit older Elantras because this
    year's model has side-curtain airbags? When Sears puts Levi's on sale,
    should everyone who ever bought them at regular price get a refund?

    I think people often get weird about products they perceive as
    "software," and somehow expect the equivalent of lifetime free
    downloadable upgrades.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, May 25, 2006
  17. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Rich Clark wrote:

    > I think people often get weird about products they perceive as
    > "software," and somehow expect the equivalent of lifetime free
    > downloadable upgrades.

    Well, let me explain my logic and we'll see if it makes any sense to
    you.

    In November, 2006 I'll have finished giving Fox $330 for 11 seasons of
    MASH. Granted, it took some time, but I was stuck on their release
    schedule of 2 sets per year. All of a sudden someone else can hand them
    $330 just like I did, but get extra material that was not made
    available to me? Because they are able to buy all at once they get
    material that is unavailable to people who made a 6 year commitment?

    How does that seem right to you? As a company Fox is ignoring the long
    term customer in favor of a short term customer that may or may not
    even exist. Not good policy. Not good customer service.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, May 25, 2006
  18. Jordan

    Justin Guest

    Jordan wrote on [25 May 2006 15:25:34 -0700]:

    > Rich Clark wrote:
    >
    >> I think people often get weird about products they perceive as
    >> "software," and somehow expect the equivalent of lifetime free
    >> downloadable upgrades.

    > Well, let me explain my logic and we'll see if it makes any sense to
    > you.
    >
    > In November, 2006 I'll have finished giving Fox $330 for 11 seasons of
    > MASH. Granted, it took some time, but I was stuck on their release
    > schedule of 2 sets per year. All of a sudden someone else can hand them
    > $330 just like I did, but get extra material that was not made
    > available to me? Because they are able to buy all at once they get
    > material that is unavailable to people who made a 6 year commitment?
    >
    > How does that seem right to you? As a company Fox is ignoring the long
    > term customer in favor of a short term customer that may or may not
    > even exist. Not good policy. Not good customer service.

    Huh, when DVD players first came out I could buy a player for what? $500
    or more. Not long after that I could buy the same player for $200. Does
    that seem right to you?
    Justin, May 26, 2006
  19. Jordan

    Jordan Guest

    Justin wrote:

    > Huh, when DVD players first came out I could buy a player for what? $500
    > or more. Not long after that I could buy the same player for $200. Does
    > that seem right to you?

    The difference is you are talking about different models of players. If
    you buy a DVD player and it goes on sale later you can get a price
    adjustment within a reasonable period of time.

    I am giving Fox money for a complete set of MASH. Someone else gives
    Fox money for a complete set of MASH. The only difference is that I
    wasn't able to buy all 11 seasons in one shot so I get pissed on.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, May 26, 2006
  20. Jordan

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message

    > Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Huh, when DVD players first came out I could buy a player for what? $500
    >> or more. Not long after that I could buy the same player for $200. Does
    >> that seem right to you?

    > The difference is you are talking about different models of players. If
    > you buy a DVD player and it goes on sale later you can get a price
    > adjustment within a reasonable period of time.

    Five years?

    > I am giving Fox money for a complete set of MASH.

    And to have them immediately.

    > Someone else gives
    > Fox money for a complete set of MASH.

    Five years later.

    >The only difference is that I
    > wasn't able to buy all 11 seasons in one shot so I get pissed on.

    Well, that and the fact the other guy had to wait five years.

    The fact that the complete box is probably going to be immensely cheaper
    than the individual sets is going to really upset you, isn't it?

    RichC
    Rich Clark, May 26, 2006