    Here are a few shots from yesterday at the beach using the same lens
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/playing_in_waves_2

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 1, 2007

  2. Scott W

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Scott W <> wrote:

    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    >
    > This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    > look about them .
    >
    > I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
    > for the first part of April
    > The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
    > it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.
    >
    > I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
    > on it does drain my battery pretty fast.

    You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
    batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
    buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.
    It also (to me) stabilizes the camera a little better with a little
    more weight, and gives you a bigger gripping surface.

    > Here are a few shots from yesterday at the beach using the same lens
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/playing_in_waves_2

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Apr 1, 2007

  3. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    On Apr 1, 8:24 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Scott W <> wrote:
    > >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    > >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original

    > > This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    > > look about them .

    > > I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
    > > for the first part of April
    > > The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
    > > it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.

    > > I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
    > > on it does drain my battery pretty fast.

    > You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
    > batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
    > buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.
    > It also (to me) stabilizes the camera a little better with a little
    > more weight, and gives you a bigger gripping surface.

    Yup, there are a few more toys needed to go with it. I will most
    likely also pick up a
    1.4X teleconverter for it at some time. And I will be getting a few
    more batteries and possibly the grip as well.

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 1, 2007
  4. Scott W

    Jer Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    >
    > This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    > look about them .

    There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal that
    doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be summarily
    executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be photographed
    with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be destroyed at an
    alarming rate. :)

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Apr 1, 2007
  5. Scott W

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Scott W <> wrote:

    > On Apr 1, 8:24 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > >
    > > Scott W <> wrote:
    > > >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    > > >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original

    > > > This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    > > > look about them .

    > > > I put an order in to B&H for the 300mm f/4 lens before they close down
    > > > for the first part of April
    > > > The lens came Friday so I am out this weekend having a good time with
    > > > it. The bird shots are all 100% crops and were all taken hand held.

    > > > I must say so far I am delighted with this lens, although with the IS
    > > > on it does drain my battery pretty fast.

    > > You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
    > > batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
    > > buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.
    > > It also (to me) stabilizes the camera a little better with a little
    > > more weight, and gives you a bigger gripping surface.

    > Yup, there are a few more toys needed to go with it.

    There are ALWAYS toys you need :^). A boat is a hole in the water to
    throw money into. A camera is a hole in the wallet for money to drain
    out of. <g>

    > I will most
    > likely also pick up a
    > 1.4X teleconverter for it at some time. And I will be getting a few
    > more batteries and possibly the grip as well.

    Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work fine,
    if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh ratings of
    the Canon batteries to be true... In reality, they are just about equal
    (possibly slightly better) in life than the Canons, BUT they are less
    than 1/3 the price, so you can afford more of them, and therefore shoot
    longer for the same $$$. BTW, I've had no trouble mixing and matching
    them in my battery grips with the true Canons, although at the
    beginning I tried to keep them in distinct pairs, worrying about the
    differeing mAh ratings. Now I don't worry abot that.

    Get the batteries sold with a charger, preferably a combination
    household/car charger - the charger is your bottleneck when you are
    trying to get back to shooting with flat batteries, especially with a
    baterry grip that takes a pair of batteries. If you have at least two
    chargers, you can always keep your battery grip full of charged
    batteries :^). And by getting one that works on 12v, you can charge on
    the go.

    I actually hve 4 chargers - two in the house, for charging after I come
    in from a day shooting, and two (12v versions) hardwired and velcroed
    on the inside wall of my truck canopy. If I come back to the truck
    with low batteries, I can swap them into the chargers, put fresh in
    from my bag, and never miss a beat - and the batteries are usually
    charged back up in under an hour... I've never run out of batteries in
    under an hour!

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Apr 1, 2007
  6. Scott W

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Ken Lucke <> writes:
    > Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work
    > fine, if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh
    > ratings of the Canon batteries to be true...BTW, I've had no trouble
    > mixing and matching them in my battery grips with the true Canons,

    The Canon BG-E3 battery grip (or its clones) will hold six AA cells,
    no need for any lithium ion cells whatsoever. Good quality AA NiMH
    cells are cheaper than even the Ebay junk-brand lithium packs, and you
    can get 15 minute NiMH chargers from Energizer or Duracell.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 1, 2007
  7. Scott W

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    > Ken Lucke <> writes:
    > > Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work
    > > fine, if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh
    > > ratings of the Canon batteries to be true...BTW, I've had no trouble
    > > mixing and matching them in my battery grips with the true Canons,

    > The Canon BG-E3 battery grip (or its clones) will hold six AA cells,
    > no need for any lithium ion cells whatsoever. Good quality AA NiMH
    > cells are cheaper than even the Ebay junk-brand lithium packs, and you
    > can get 15 minute NiMH chargers from Energizer or Duracell.

    Yes, it does come with a AA battery holder, but I never found that the
    NiMHs lasted as long as the actual NL-2Bs (or whatever they are, that
    number's off of the top of my memory). Which surprised me, as the
    total mAh of the NiMHs was considerably more than the NL-2Bs.

    I'll have to give it a try again. (I currently just keep a set of 6 AA
    alkalines in the AA tray that comes with the BG as a true emergency
    backup, shrink-wrapped to protect them from moisture and to keep them
    from being knocked out, stuck in the bottom of my
    not-too-frequently-used-stuff bag).

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Apr 1, 2007
  8. Scott W

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:38:00 -0500, Jer <> wrote:
    : Scott W wrote:
    : > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    : > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    : >
    :
    : There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal that
    : doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be summarily
    : executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be photographed
    : with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be destroyed at an
    : alarming rate. :)

    I guess that ought to be proscribed by the bill, but I think you actually
    meant to say "prescribes". ;^)

    Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue to create
    more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here in Massachusetts,
    for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns down a free meal.) So it
    all evens out in the end.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 8, 2007
  9. Scott W

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:51:29 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:

    > : There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal that
    > : doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be summarily
    > : executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be photographed
    > : with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be destroyed at an
    > : alarming rate. :)
    >
    > . . .
    > Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue to create
    > more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here in Massachusetts,
    > for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns down a free meal.) So it
    > all evens out in the end.

    And kill coyotes and racoons who suffer the collateral damage of
    the Forest Service's targeting of much more serious predators with
    M-44 injectors. In a report I heard today, a man described how
    while walking with his pet dog in a field, the dog suddenly made
    noises as if it was strangling. Within two minutes it was dead. I
    hadn't heard of this device before, but I'd guess that ranchers and
    many other people are quite familiar with its use. According to the
    report, M44s are also attached to collars placed around the necks of
    livestock, and these presumably don't often kill unintended targets.

    http://www.predatordefense.org/issues/m44.htm

    ASAAR, Apr 8, 2007
  10. Scott W

    J. Clarke Guest

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:38:00 -0500, Jer <> wrote:
    >> Scott W wrote:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    >>>
    >>> This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    >>> look about them .
    >>>

    >> There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal
    >> that doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be
    >> summarily executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be
    >> photographed with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be
    >> destroyed at an alarming rate. :)

    > I guess that ought to be proscribed by the bill, but I think you
    > actually meant to say "prescribes". ;^)
    >
    > Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue
    > to create more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here
    > in Massachusetts, for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns
    > down a free meal.) So it all evens out in the end.

    Seagulls are also extending their range--all the local malls have a
    seagull contingent.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Apr 8, 2007
  11. >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    >http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    >
    >This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    >look about them .

    A lot of birds do. For more:

    http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/

    I'm continually amazed at how the human mind imposes emotion even on
    animal faces.

    -Joel

    Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Apr 8, 2007
  12. >You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
    >batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
    >buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.

    Maybe for the added stability (which I've never needed), but I'm
    surprised at how many people here think an extra battery is
    necessary. I bought two batteries with my 30D, and I've yet to use
    the second.

    -Joel

    EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Apr 8, 2007
  13. On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 13:29:12 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (Dr.
    Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

    >>http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    >>http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    >>
    >>This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    >>look about them .

    >A lot of birds do. For more:
    >
    > http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/

    Even a "sweet little" bluebird:
    http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/dSLR/wildlife/slides/DSC_5455-01cr1600_800.html
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Apr 8, 2007
  14. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    On Apr 8, 3:34 am, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:
    > >You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
    > >batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
    > >buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.

    > Maybe for the added stability (which I've never needed), but I'm
    > surprised at how many people here think an extra battery is
    > necessary. I bought two batteries with my 30D, and I've yet to use
    > the second.

    I have needed the second battery rarely, at least before I starting
    using an IS
    lens. The 350D has pretty small batteries and so the extra drain from
    the IS
    lens is pretty major.

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 8, 2007
  15. Scott W

    Scott W Guest

    On Apr 7, 8:14 pm, "J. Clarke" <> wrote:
    > Robert Coe wrote:

    > >> There's a bill before congress that proscribes that any wild animal
    > >> that doesn't overtly smile when a human points a lens at it will be
    > >> summarily executed at sunrise. Eventually, all wild animals will be
    > >> photographed with a smile, despite their habitat continuing to be
    > >> destroyed at an alarming rate. :)

    > > I guess that ought to be proscribed by the bill, but I think you
    > > actually meant to say "prescribes". ;^)

    > > Anyway, if we're destroying the habitat of mynah birds, we continue
    > > to create more of it for coyotes and racoons. (And increasingly here
    > > in Massachusetts, for bears, another "wild" animal that rarely turns
    > > down a free meal.) So it all evens out in the end.

    > Seagulls are also extending their range--all the local malls have a
    > seagull contingent.

    That is one thing we don't have here, no seagulls.

    Scott

    Scott W, Apr 8, 2007
  16. Scott W

    Jer Guest

    Scott W wrote:
    > On Apr 8, 3:34 am, (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:
    >>> You might consider getting the battery grip for the 350D - it holds two
    >>> batteries instead of one, and also gives you identical shutter/etc.
    >>> buttons on the grip for when you are shooting in portrait orientation.

    >> Maybe for the added stability (which I've never needed), but I'm
    >> surprised at how many people here think an extra battery is
    >> necessary. I bought two batteries with my 30D, and I've yet to use
    >> the second.

    > I have needed the second battery rarely, at least before I starting
    > using an IS
    > lens. The 350D has pretty small batteries and so the extra drain from
    > the IS
    > lens is pretty major.
    >
    > Scott

    There's a KM 7D around here somewhere that came with six batteries,
    which have proven handy when it's several days away from the nearest
    power outlet.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Apr 8, 2007
  17. Scott W

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489187/original
    >> http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/76489188/original
    >>
    >> This is a myna bird and to me they seem to always have bad attitude
    >> look about them .

    > A lot of birds do. For more:
    >
    > http://posted-online.com/ArizonaBirds/
    >
    > I'm continually amazed at how the human mind imposes emotion even on
    > animal faces.
    >
    > -Joel

    > Free Bible and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.lashon.net/

    Animals often have very expressive faces. A cat being surprised will
    express it in much the same way as a human, and intense concentration
    will produce the same facial expression, as will some other emotions.
    There is NO doubt that animals feel fear, hunger, curiosity, and
    happiness, and, like humans, many animals (and all primates) use facial
    expressions to communicate those emotions.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 8, 2007
  18. Scott W

    rowlandw Guest

    I often need the 2nd battery for my 5D when using heavy lenses with
    IS, especially in cold conditions. It's also convenient to swap in
    the fresh battery and recharge the tired battery at leisure. Haven't
    moved up to a grip, yet.

    --Rowland

    rowlandw, Apr 10, 2007
  19. Scott W

    John Turco Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    <edited, for brevity>

    > Animals often have very expressive faces. A cat being surprised will
    > express it in much the same way as a human, and intense concentration
    > will produce the same facial expression, as will some other emotions.
    > There is NO doubt that animals feel fear, hunger, curiosity, and
    > happiness, and, like humans, many animals (and all primates) use facial
    > expressions to communicate those emotions.

    Hello, Ron:

    Last spring, I used my (then recently acquired) Kodak DX6490's 10x
    optical zoom, to help get a closer shot of a crow, sitting on my front
    lawn. He was eating something, at the time -- and judging by his scowl,
    he appeared to be rather angry, at being photographed.

    Camera shy, I suppose? :p

    By the way, I'd never realized >how< ugly crows were, until I bought the
    DX6490. For one thing, their beaks are much longer, than those of the
    other small birds (robins, etc.), in this region. Also, I hadn't noticed
    that they aren't entirely black, as there's some blue, around their head
    and neck areas.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 14, 2007
  20. Scott W

    l v Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Ken Lucke <> writes:
    >> Go with the less expensive batteries you find on eBay - they work
    >> fine, if you don't expect their claims of almost double the mAh
    >> ratings of the Canon batteries to be true...BTW, I've had no trouble
    >> mixing and matching them in my battery grips with the true Canons,

    > The Canon BG-E3 battery grip (or its clones) will hold six AA cells,
    > no need for any lithium ion cells whatsoever. Good quality AA NiMH
    > cells are cheaper than even the Ebay junk-brand lithium packs, and you
    > can get 15 minute NiMH chargers from Energizer or Duracell.

    I purchased my extra batteries from www.sterlingtek.com. At the time I
    ordered I picked up 2 Canon BP-511 1800mAh Battery Pack Equivalent for
    $22.98 USD. $11.49 each. Other sites list them for $24.89 - $49.89
    each. I also picked up 2 equivalent BP-911 packs for my GL-2 camcorder
    for $17.29 each.

    --

    Len

    l v, Apr 14, 2007