a better router than Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers for use
    on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a Linksys WRT54G
    (http://snipurl.com/oxbq) and have had persistent connection troubles with
    it. For no apparent reason and with no warning it blinks out, and later
    with eqully no warning, it reconnects. I've heard from others that this
    problem is common to Linksys, and have personally observed the it at my
    daughter's house (who has the same model).

    And Linksys customer support has proven to be awfully slow and sometimes
    wrong, in my experience.

    I'm planning a replacement and would like one to more reliably handle my
    present connections, plus the addition of a VOIP modem which is coming.

    Currently I have three desktops and a laptop networked through the Linksys
    WRT54G, but am only running the laptop wireless. The others are hard-wired.
    I also sometimes need an additional port temporarily for computers
    undergoing repairs. Prerably, I'd like to have at least a couple more ports
    than the WRT54G, but the biggest issue I have with the Linksys is its
    reliability.

    Any recommendations, advice, or experiences would be appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Tom, Apr 9, 2006

  2. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:33:13 +0000, Tom wrote:

    > ubject: a better router than Linksys WRT54G
    > From: Tom <tomrue@___gmail.com>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 09 Apr 2006 12:33:13 GMT
    >
    > I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers for use
    > on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a Linksys WRT54G
    > (http://snipurl.com/oxbq) and have had persistent connection troubles with
    > it. For no apparent reason and with no warning it blinks out, and later
    > with eqully no warning, it reconnects. I've heard from others that this
    > problem is common to Linksys, and have personally observed the it at my
    > daughter's house (who has the same model).

    I bought my WRT54G when they first hit the market and it has been rock
    solid since. I suspect most problems arise from the configuration of the
    mobile device, not the router. My only bitch with the WRT54G is the buggy
    port forwarding.

    Meat Plow, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Tom

    bob peterson Guest

    I never had much trouble with my Linksys router but I have a Netgear
    wireless router that regularly reboots itself if more than one wireless unit
    is attached to it.

    All the leds come on for a few seconds, then they go off and within ten
    seconds it is back to normal. Sometimes it will do this every few minutes
    while more than one Wifi unit is attached.

    Tech support has told me this is a known bug in the version of firmware I
    have about 5 times now and had me upgrade the firmware, but it still does
    it.

    I rarely have more than one wifi unit attached simultaneously so I finally
    just gave up worrying about it.

    bob peterson, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Tom

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Do you have the latest firmware? Mine has never given me any problems.

    pcbutts1, Apr 9, 2006
  5. Tom

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Just to add. I have used cheap wireless cards that kept dropping the
    connection but the router is fine.

    pcbutts1, Apr 9, 2006
  6. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:21:14 -0500, Mara wrote:

    > Subject: Re: a better router than Linksys WRT54G
    > From: Mara <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:21:14 -0500
    >
    > On 09 Apr 2006 12:33:13 GMT, Tom <tomrue@___gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers for use
    >>on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a Linksys WRT54G
    >>(http://snipurl.com/oxbq) and have had persistent connection troubles with
    >>it. For no apparent reason and with no warning it blinks out, and later
    >>with eqully no warning, it reconnects. I've heard from others that this
    >>problem is common to Linksys, and have personally observed the it at my
    >>daughter's house (who has the same model).
    >>
    >>And Linksys customer support has proven to be awfully slow and sometimes
    >>wrong, in my experience.
    >>
    >>I'm planning a replacement and would like one to more reliably handle my
    >>present connections, plus the addition of a VOIP modem which is coming.
    >>
    >>Currently I have three desktops and a laptop networked through the Linksys
    >>WRT54G, but am only running the laptop wireless. The others are hard-wired.
    >>I also sometimes need an additional port temporarily for computers
    >>undergoing repairs. Prerably, I'd like to have at least a couple more ports
    >>than the WRT54G, but the biggest issue I have with the Linksys is its
    >>reliability.

    > I run a Linksys BEFSR81 wired router for all but one of my machines. The problem
    > you're having seems to be fairly common with that model of wireless router, but
    > I've never had a problem with this wired one.

    <shakes head> Help me to understand why you think knowing your wired
    router works great helps someone seeking advice on wireless?

    Meat Plow, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Tom

    Plato Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers for use
    > on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a Linksys WRT54G

    I had some niggles with a linksys, and went to a no-name brand. Oddly,
    it worked.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 14, 2006
  8. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:443f09e6$0$4888$,
    Plato spewed forth:
    > Tom wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers
    >> for use on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a
    >> Linksys WRT54G

    > I had some niggles with a linksys, and went to a no-name brand. Oddly,
    > it worked.

    I've attempted to set up three different Linksys routers in the last year.
    Each one would connect then fail. Restart, connect, fail. What a freakin'
    waste of my time. I put in DLink and Belkin routers instead, with not one
    dropout or disconnect.

    Really makes me wonder...

    --
    My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
    God and I didn't.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 14, 2006
  9. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:39:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:443f09e6$0$4888$,
    > Plato spewed forth:
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers
    >>> for use on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a
    >>> Linksys WRT54G

    >> I had some niggles with a linksys, and went to a no-name brand. Oddly,
    >> it worked.

    > I've attempted to set up three different Linksys routers in the last year.
    > Each one would connect then fail. Restart, connect, fail. What a freakin'
    > waste of my time. I put in DLink and Belkin routers instead, with not one
    > dropout or disconnect.
    >
    > Really makes me wonder...

    Got them at my office, home, GF's home, friend's home, friend's work. No
    problems anywhere.

    Really makes me wonder...

    Meat Plow, Apr 14, 2006
  10. X-No-Archive: YES
    Toolman Tim [] has entered into testimony
    ZXD%f.456$

    > In news:443f09e6$0$4888$,
    > Plato spewed forth:
    >> Tom wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for reasoned opinions or ratings of affordable routers
    >>> for use on an residential LAN. For a little under a year, I'vehad a
    >>> Linksys WRT54G

    >> I had some niggles with a linksys, and went to a no-name brand.
    >> Oddly, it worked.

    > I've attempted to set up three different Linksys routers in the last
    > year. Each one would connect then fail. Restart, connect, fail. What
    > a freakin' waste of my time. I put in DLink and Belkin routers
    > instead, with not one dropout or disconnect.
    >
    > Really makes me wonder...

    I've never had a problem with any linksys product. I was so pleased
    with their 8 port fast-ethernet cable router that I purchased a 24 port
    gigabit switch to upgrade my LAN. Had no problems with that either.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Apr 14, 2006
  11. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p-meatplow.local,
    Meat Plow spewed forth:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:39:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:443f09e6$0$4888$,
    >> Plato spewed forth:

    >>> I had some niggles with a linksys, and went to a no-name brand.
    >>> Oddly, it worked.

    >> I've attempted to set up three different Linksys routers in the last
    >> year. Each one would connect then fail. Restart, connect, fail. What
    >> a freakin' waste of my time. I put in DLink and Belkin routers
    >> instead, with not one dropout or disconnect.
    >>
    >> Really makes me wonder...

    > Got them at my office, home, GF's home, friend's home, friend's work.
    > No problems anywhere.
    >
    > Really makes me wonder...

    Heh! I even changed the cable modem to see if that would help, but the
    wireless kept dropping. We tried Linksys' tech support on the phone,
    upgraded the firmware, all that, but nothing made the wireless work
    reliably. Oh well - s*** happens <g>

    Toolman Tim, Apr 14, 2006
  12. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:56:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:p-meatplow.local,
    > Meat Plow spewed forth:
    >> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:39:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:443f09e6$0$4888$,
    >>> Plato spewed forth:

    >>> I've attempted to set up three different Linksys routers in the last
    >>> year. Each one would connect then fail. Restart, connect, fail. What
    >>> a freakin' waste of my time. I put in DLink and Belkin routers
    >>> instead, with not one dropout or disconnect.
    >>>
    >>> Really makes me wonder...

    >> Got them at my office, home, GF's home, friend's home, friend's work.
    >> No problems anywhere.
    >>
    >> Really makes me wonder...

    > Heh! I even changed the cable modem to see if that would help, but the
    > wireless kept dropping. We tried Linksys' tech support on the phone,
    > upgraded the firmware, all that, but nothing made the wireless work
    > reliably. Oh well - s*** happens <g>

    Had problems with wireless but it was Windows Zero config competing
    with the wireless device's config software. Solution was to install
    drivers only and leave the config up to Zero. This happened on Broadcom
    and Prizm chipset based wireless devices in XP. Never had any problems
    with native drivers or NDIS wrappers under nix OS.

    Meat Plow, Apr 14, 2006
  13. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p-meatplow.local,
    Meat Plow spewed forth:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:56:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:p-meatplow.local,
    >> Meat Plow spewed forth:

    >>> Got them at my office, home, GF's home, friend's home, friend's
    >>> work. No problems anywhere.
    >>>
    >>> Really makes me wonder...

    >> Heh! I even changed the cable modem to see if that would help, but
    >> the wireless kept dropping. We tried Linksys' tech support on the
    >> phone, upgraded the firmware, all that, but nothing made the
    >> wireless work reliably. Oh well - s*** happens <g>

    > Had problems with wireless but it was Windows Zero config competing
    > with the wireless device's config software. Solution was to install
    > drivers only and leave the config up to Zero. This happened on
    > Broadcom and Prizm chipset based wireless devices in XP. Never had
    > any problems with native drivers or NDIS wrappers under nix OS.

    I'll have to try that if someone else gets a Linksys. Most of the time
    though, I don't get called until it doesn't work, and they've already got
    the full software install in place. Maybe removing the software would work,
    leaving just the drivers.

    In the meantime, my DLink has been practically perfect. I think I had a
    power "brownout" and the router hung one time - had to power it down and
    restart.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 14, 2006
  14. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:48:34 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:p-meatplow.local,
    > Meat Plow spewed forth:
    >> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:56:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:p-meatplow.local,
    >>> Meat Plow spewed forth:

    >>> Heh! I even changed the cable modem to see if that would help, but
    >>> the wireless kept dropping. We tried Linksys' tech support on the
    >>> phone, upgraded the firmware, all that, but nothing made the
    >>> wireless work reliably. Oh well - s*** happens <g>

    >> Had problems with wireless but it was Windows Zero config competing
    >> with the wireless device's config software. Solution was to install
    >> drivers only and leave the config up to Zero. This happened on
    >> Broadcom and Prizm chipset based wireless devices in XP. Never had
    >> any problems with native drivers or NDIS wrappers under nix OS.

    > I'll have to try that if someone else gets a Linksys. Most of the time
    > though, I don't get called until it doesn't work, and they've already got
    > the full software install in place. Maybe removing the software would work,
    > leaving just the drivers.

    I HAD to do that on my Centrino based Asus laptop. The fucker would NOT
    stay connected at my girlfriend's house. I would sit and watch the signal
    strength meter on the Intel Proset taskbar tray icon fluctuate wildy while
    I was only a couple feet away from the router. I removed the application
    and reinstalled it stopping after the drivers were installed and bingo,
    solid connection using XP Zero. So it's not specific to Linksys wireless
    adapters however I'm not ruling out it doesn't have something to do with
    in some way with the WRT54G but I don't have anything else to compare with.
    One thing I do not care for about the WRT54G is that the port forwarding
    sucks. If you have a machine in the DMZ, there can't be any other port
    forwarding enabled or the DMZ doesn't work. A couple MSN card games don't
    like firewalls of any kind and I can't get a straight answer as to exactly
    what ports to forward so I DMZ my pc when I want to play or host. If any
    forwarding is enabled the DMZ doesn't work and I can't play. Would be cool
    if another wireless router didn't have this bug because I wouls surelyt
    switch.

    > In the meantime, my DLink has been practically perfect. I think I had a
    > power "brownout" and the router hung one time - had to power it down and
    > restart.

    All my stuff is on battery. DSL modem, router, network storage. If the
    power goes out and I don't want to start the generator, I have an hour or
    so. Same goes with my satellite DVR and A/V gear. When the power goes out,
    the beeping from all these UPS's drives me nuts.

    Meat Plow, Apr 14, 2006
  15. Tom

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p-meatplow.local,
    Meat Plow spewed forth:
    > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:48:34 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:p-meatplow.local,
    >> Meat Plow spewed forth:
    >>> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:56:28 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    >> In the meantime, my DLink has been practically perfect. I think I
    >> had a power "brownout" and the router hung one time - had to power
    >> it down and restart.

    > All my stuff is on battery. DSL modem, router, network storage. If the
    > power goes out and I don't want to start the generator, I have an
    > hour or so. Same goes with my satellite DVR and A/V gear. When the
    > power goes out, the beeping from all these UPS's drives me nuts.

    For sure! I now have a1500va UPS with the PC, cordless phone, and VCR
    plugged into it. I absolutely HATE reprogramming the stinkin' VCR <g>

    Of course, the DVR that I have from the cable company stores the programming
    schedule on it's hard drive, so if it goes out, it re-programs
    automatically, so I didn't bother connecting it to the UPS.

    I find it amazing at how crappy our line power is here. In the evening, the
    relays on that UPS just go nuts sometimes while it is correcting the AC
    voltages.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 14, 2006
  16. Tom

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:57:34 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:p-meatplow.local,
    > Meat Plow spewed forth:
    >> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:48:34 -0700, Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>
    >>> In news:p-meatplow.local,
    >>> Meat Plow spewed forth:

    >>> In the meantime, my DLink has been practically perfect. I think I
    >>> had a power "brownout" and the router hung one time - had to power
    >>> it down and restart.

    >> All my stuff is on battery. DSL modem, router, network storage. If the
    >> power goes out and I don't want to start the generator, I have an
    >> hour or so. Same goes with my satellite DVR and A/V gear. When the
    >> power goes out, the beeping from all these UPS's drives me nuts.

    > For sure! I now have a1500va UPS with the PC, cordless phone, and VCR
    > plugged into it. I absolutely HATE reprogramming the stinkin' VCR <g>
    >
    > Of course, the DVR that I have from the cable company stores the programming
    > schedule on it's hard drive, so if it goes out, it re-programs
    > automatically, so I didn't bother connecting it to the UPS.
    >
    > I find it amazing at how crappy our line power is here. In the evening, the
    > relays on that UPS just go nuts sometimes while it is correcting the AC
    > voltages.

    I have a couple 1500's "tall skinny APC" jobs on the A/V gear but they
    hate my Generac 5000w generator and won't come off battery when I'm on
    backup power. We get some decent thunderstorms here and at least once a
    year the power goes down for enough time to need a generator. Last winter
    we had an ice storm that knocked out the power for 24 hours so I'm happy
    that I invested the money for the generator and the mains toggle as we had
    light and heat.

    Meat Plow, Apr 14, 2006