    Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.

    Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    I'm UK based ...

    Tx2, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Tx2 wrote:
    > Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a
    > good newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    > What a disappointment!
    > Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic
    > threads.
    >
    > Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    > I'm UK based ...

    Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr

    It's a newly created newsgroup aimed at "SLR-like" digital cameras.
    Digital SLRs (those with interchangeable lenses), and point-and-shoot
    cameras also have their own groups:

    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

    These groups are so new that you may need to ask your ISP to carry them,
    or you could subscribe to a free news service.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Tx2

    DDDD Guest

    "Tx2" <> wrote in message

    > Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    > newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    > What a disappointment!
    > Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >
    > Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    > I'm UK based ...

    You won't find anything on usenet without the political crap. Just wait a
    few weeks till the hatred simmers down and it will get back to normal.

    DDDD

    DDDD, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Tx2

    Alan Terry Guest

    In article <>, Tx2
    <> writes

    >Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    >newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    >What a disappointment!
    >Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >
    >Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    >I'm UK based ...

    Not a NG, but the dpreview.com forums have impressed me - I use the Fuji
    one, but here's the Panasonic:

    Alan ............

    Alan Terry, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Tx2

    Wayne J Guest

    "Tx2" <> wrote in message

    > Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    > newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    > What a disappointment!
    > Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >
    > Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    > I'm UK based ...

    The place to be is http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
    Naturally, you will find comments biased in favour of your camera but since
    you already own the camera it doesn't matter. Rec.photo.digital is still the
    best for general digital photography info but you have to learn how to
    filter out a lot of the crap if you want to enjoy it.

    Wayne

    Wayne J, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Tx2

    Wayne J Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message

    > Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr

    What a joke. Averages one on-topic post per day.

    Wayne

    Wayne J, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Tx2

    Larry Guest

    In article <Kk2kd.14636$>,
    says...

    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >

    > > Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr
    > >

    > What a joke. Averages one on-topic post per day.
    >
    > Wayne

    Most of the major usnet suppliers are not carrying it yet.

    That and the fact that a lot of people are used to posting
    here, and see no real reason to stop doing so, it will take
    a while for the new groups to catch on.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Tx2

    Larry Guest

    In article <MPG.1bfa8220e49c4f399897f6
    @news.comcast.giganews.com>, et
    says...
    > In article <Kk2kd.14636$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr
    > > >

    > > What a joke. Averages one on-topic post per day.
    > >
    > > Wayne
    > >

    > Most of the major usnet suppliers are not carrying it yet.
    >
    > That and the fact that a lot of people are used to posting
    > here, and see no real reason to stop doing so, it will take
    > a while for the new groups to catch on.

    As of this AM:

    Not on Giganews
    Not on Easynews
    Not on any of the "Freebie" providers

    When it shows up I'll try it, but I wont hold my breath.

    (11/09/04)
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 9, 2004
  9. "Tx2" <> wrote in message

    > Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    > newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    > What a disappointment!
    > Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >
    > Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    > I'm UK based ...

    This is a good group, just inhabited frequently by OT trolls.
    Many good tips esp. on links.

    JT in UK

    John Taverner, Nov 9, 2004
  10. Tx2

    Charlie Self Guest

    Tx2 writes:

    >Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    >newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    >What a disappointment!
    >Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >
    >Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    >I'm UK based ...

    Learn to use your filters.

    The political and moral crap is a lot better than what was going round early in
    the year, but most of us filtered that out quickly.

    That leaves mostly relevant info.

    As a start, simply filter out all the routine cuss words, politicians' names,
    political party names, terms like "abortion" and on. You might want to add "OT"
    to your filter lists, too. That automatically keeps you from seeing a lot of OT
    items.

    Good luck.

    Charlie Self
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
    give him power." Abraham Lincoln

    Charlie Self, Nov 9, 2004
  11. Tx2 <> writes:

    > Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    > newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    > What a disappointment!
    > Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >
    > Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    > I'm UK based ...

    Do you know about the Panasonic forum at dpreview.com?

    Michael Meissner
    email:
    http://www.the-meissners.org

    Michael Meissner, Nov 9, 2004
  12. Tx2

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: A better digital newsgroup??
    >From: "John Taverner"
    >Date: 11/9/2004 5:24 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"Tx2" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    >> newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >>
    >> What a disappointment!
    >> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.
    >>
    >> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    >> I'm UK based ...

    >This is a good group, just inhabited frequently by OT trolls.
    >Many good tips esp. on links.
    >
    >JT in UK

    Go to Panasonic group websites.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Nov 9, 2004
  13. Tx2

    Eric Gill Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in news:2vbkmeF2ij5dgU1
    @uni-berlin.de:

    > Tx2 wrote:
    >> Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a
    >> good newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >>
    >> What a disappointment!
    >> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic
    >> threads.
    >>
    >> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    >> I'm UK based ...

    > Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr

    "Tx2" posts from : fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!not-for-mail

    "David J Taylor" posts from: fu-berlin.de!uni-berlin.de!not-for-mail

    Getting lonely enough to talk to yourself, son?

    Eric Gill, Nov 9, 2004
  14. Tx2

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >> What a disappointment!
    >> Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic
    >> threads.
    >>
    >> Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    >> I'm UK based ...

    >From: "David J Taylor"
    >
    >Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr

    Why? The same dumbasses and trolls that post here will post there (once they
    can find it).

    Try the Yahoo groups or the Forums at sites like dpreview, any place you have
    to register tends to be less silly, though I recently subscribed to the
    EpsonWideFormat group and 80% of that was nonsense political rants ... or start
    filling up your kill files with filters if you want to use Usenet.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 9, 2004
  15. "David J Taylor" <> wrote in message

    > Try: rec.photo.digital.zlr
    > rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    > rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

    Sadly, they have not yet made it to my ISP. I'll prod them.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 9, 2004
  16. Larry wrote:
    []
    > As of this AM:
    >
    > Not on Giganews
    > Not on Easynews
    > Not on any of the "Freebie" providers

    It /is/ on some free providers.

    As you say, it will take a while for the new groups to become established.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 9, 2004
  17. Tx2

    Larry Guest

    In article <>, david-
    says...
    > It /is/ on some free providers.
    >
    > As you say, it will take a while for the new groups to become established.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Sadly, I cant get a connection (for some reason) on a good
    chunk of the free providers, and the ones I can connect
    with either lists the groups I want, but they are empty, or
    they dont carry the groups I want.

    The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
    to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
    take time and traffic to get them going.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Nov 9, 2004
  18. Larry wrote:
    []
    > The two providers I PAY for (easynews & Giganews) dont seem
    > to be picking up on the new digital camera groups. It will
    > take time and traffic to get them going.

    Doesn't sound like a very good paid-for service!
    Have you asked for the new groups to be added?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 9, 2004
  19. Tx2

    Tony Guest

    Learn to use filters or forget it.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Nov 9, 2004
  20. Tx2

    Matt Ion Guest

    Tx2 wrote:
    > Having just recently acquired a Panasonic FZ20, i was looking for a good
    > newsgroup to 'go with it' ... and subscribed to this one.
    >
    > What a disappointment!
    > Political threads, moral high ground threads, totally off-topic threads.

    Welcome to Usenet - you'll find this in almost every non-moderated group
    (and some poorly-moderated ones as well). I'm not aware of any
    moderated digital-photo groups, at least not via my newsserver.

    > Looking for good, on-topic, user friendly alternative please.
    > I'm UK based ...

    You might be better off on a website discussion board;
    www.shuttertalk.com is a good one for all manner of general photography
    chat. www.photosig.com is a good site to share and critique photos.

    Matt Ion, Nov 9, 2004