A bad month for hardware failure....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    The ps/2 controller on my motherboard has died...

    :(

    Fortunately I have a b.new DSE USB/firewire/sata controller in my PC,
    and a Sun type 9 USB keyboard, off my wee Sun box...

    Not so fortunate is its fine in Linux but win2k has a spas....

    So I need a new USB keyboard, what ones are nice to type on? Up until
    now I had an old Dell quiet key keyboard, so something similar in feel
    would be nice.

    Any keyboards with built in USB2 hubs? that would save me grovelling
    under the table and buying a hub.....might be more cost effective....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Feb 7, 2005

  2. thing

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 19:07:23 +1300, thing wrote:

    > The ps/2 controller on my motherboard has died...

    Tell me about it.

    In our small office, we've had 2 power supplies, a couple of CDROM drives,
    a 19" CRT monitor, a DIMM, and a CPU fan crap out.

    About 6 months ago we had a spate (4 of them over about 3 months) of
    bursting mobo caps.

    Pretty much everything was roughly 2-3 yrs old. Those 2 bursts of failures
    were the first we had for ages. The 5+yr old stuff is still ticking along
    fine.

    <cliche>They don't make em like they used to</cliche>

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 7, 2005

  3. thing

    EMB Guest

    thing wrote:

    > So I need a new USB keyboard, what ones are nice to type on? Up until
    > now I had an old Dell quiet key keyboard, so something similar in feel
    > would be nice.

    DSE do a USB/PS2 keyboard & mouse adaptor so you can keep your present
    items if you want - I installed one for a client who had the PS2 ports
    'disappear' last week.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Feb 7, 2005