a bad experience with a digital camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bugbear, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/

    but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    for a pleasant day at a country fair.

    Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    wallet, sub glasses.

    After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.

    Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    of coke had split, presumably due to
    my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    temperature.

    Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.

    I no longer own a (working) camera.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jun 29, 2006

  2. bugbear wrote:
    > The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    > http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    > http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >
    > but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    > for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >
    > Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    > wallet, sub glasses.
    >
    > After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    > 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >
    > Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    > of coke had split, presumably due to
    > my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    > temperature.
    >
    > Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >
    > I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >
    > BugBear

    If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some good
    flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It might
    return to life.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 29, 2006

  3. bugbear

    Ian B Guest

    Ian B, Jun 29, 2006
  4. bugbear

    tomm42 Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    > http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    > http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >
    > but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    > for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >
    > Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    > wallet, sub glasses.
    >
    > After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    > 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >
    > Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    > of coke had split, presumably due to
    > my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    > temperature.
    >
    > Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >
    > I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >
    > BugBear

    As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
    Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
    metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
    with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
    take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
    Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
    several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
    when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
    good for that camera.
    Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
    of Coke.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jun 29, 2006
  5. bugbear

    Freda Guest

    "Ian B" <> wrote in message

    > "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    >> bugbear wrote:
    >>> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    >>> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    >>> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >>>
    >>> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    >>> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >>>
    >>> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    >>> wallet, sub glasses.
    >>>
    >>> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    >>> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >>>
    >>> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    >>> of coke had split, presumably due to
    >>> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    >>> temperature.
    >>>
    >>> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >>>
    >>> I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >>>
    >>> BugBear

    >> If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some
    >> good flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It
    >> might return to life.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Joseph Meehan
    >>
    >> Dia duit

    > Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
    > should not have gotten through?

    Depends on the case, I've never had one in over 30 years that's been
    watertight. Their main purpose is to protect the camera from knocks, not
    liquids.

    Freda, Jun 29, 2006
  6. bugbear

    Jer Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > bugbear wrote:
    >
    >>The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    >>http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    >>http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >>
    >>but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    >>for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >>
    >>Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    >>wallet, sub glasses.
    >>
    >>After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    >>5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >>
    >>Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    >>of coke had split, presumably due to
    >>my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    >>temperature.
    >>
    >>Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >>
    >>I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
    > Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
    > metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
    > with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
    > take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
    > Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
    > several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
    > when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
    > good for that camera.
    > Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
    > of Coke.
    >
    > Tom

    Sorry to hear about that feller's camera, but it sounds like a
    pressurized can of sugar water ruins more than one's waistline. How
    anyone can ingest that garbage is a marketing miracle.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Jun 29, 2006
  7. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Ian B wrote:

    >>Was the camera in a case? Everywhere I take mine it is, so wet coke etc
    >>should not have gotten through?

    Yep. Nice little padded case from Tesco.
    Some kind of neoprene I think.

    Case is porous, zip is nothing special.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jun 29, 2006
  8. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
    > Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
    > metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
    > with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
    > take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
    > Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
    > several hours. Can't hurt,

    I'll try it; I'm in a "no lose" situation here.

    > I always keep the camera separate from food
    > when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
    > good for that camera.

    You're wiser than I :-(

    > Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
    > of Coke.

    Yes; I have no criticism of the camera, only my own
    stupidity.

    I wasn't really looking for help (although it's much
    appreciated) more trying to warn others.

    BugBear

    bugbear, Jun 29, 2006
  9. ? "tomm42" <> ?????? ??? ??????

    > bugbear wrote:
    > > The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    > > http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    > > http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    > >
    > > but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    > > for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    > >
    > > Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    > > wallet, sub glasses.
    > >
    > > After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    > > 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    > >
    > > Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    > > of coke had split, presumably due to
    > > my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    > > temperature.
    > >
    > > Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    > >
    > > I no longer own a (working) camera.
    > >
    > > BugBear

    > As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
    > Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
    > metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
    > with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
    > take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
    > Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
    > several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
    > when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would be
    > good for that camera.
    > Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
    > of Coke.
    >
    > Tom

    Excellent advice.I saved my 10 years old VCR from an afternoon in the rain
    (I threw it away when I thought it was toast after some kid switched it to
    NTSC playback), by opening its case and running a fan heater in front of
    it.But when it was wet it didn't work, so don't give up hope.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 29, 2006
  10. bugbear

    T i m Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:08:47 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    >bugbear wrote:
    >> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    >> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    >> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >>
    >> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    >> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >>
    >> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    >> wallet, sub glasses.
    >>
    >> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    >> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >>
    >> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    >> of coke had split, presumably due to
    >> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    >> temperature.
    >>
    >> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >>
    >> I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > If you are not considering repairing the camera, you might try some good
    >flushing with clean water. Do it many times and let it dry out. It might
    >return to life.

    I just did this to a mates laptop keyboard .. now works a treat again
    ;-)

    All the best ..

    T i m

    T i m, Jun 29, 2006
  11. bugbear

    Ron Hunter Guest

    bugbear wrote:
    > The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    > http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    > http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >
    > but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    > for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >
    > Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    > wallet, sub glasses.
    >
    > After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    > 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >
    > Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    > of coke had split, presumably due to
    > my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    > temperature.
    >
    > Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >
    > I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >
    > BugBear

    Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
    backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
    best illustration of intelligence, now was it?
    On the other hand, if you needed a good excuse to buy a new camera.....

    Ron Hunter, Jun 29, 2006
  12. bugbear

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:50:18 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
    > backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
    > best illustration of intelligence, now was it?

    Packing the camera with a bottle of sugar free diet Coke would
    have shown some intelligence and avoided this Classic mistake. <g>

    ASAAR, Jun 29, 2006
  13. On 6/29/06 10:50 AM, Ron Hunter posted the following:

    > Well, I hate to say this, but n.... << Snipped bits out >>

    Ron: Oh, well, then, just don't. Stifle yourself, Edith!

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jun 29, 2006
  14. bugbear

    Dave Guest

    You might consider getting a front-loading chest pack for the camera.
    You don't have to take the pack off every time you want to snap a pic, and
    with the camera in front it can't be stolen as easily. Less likely to ding
    the camera when you take the pack off, and no temptation to mix it with
    food. Unless of course you drool.....

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 29, 2006
  15. bugbear

    Mojtaba Guest

    Conclusion:

    Cock is unhealthy for:

    - Human beings
    - Digital cameras

    Mojtaba, Jun 29, 2006
  16. bugbear

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote

    > Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
    > backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
    > best illustration of intelligence, now was it?

    To be fair, when was the last time you saw a leaking can of soft drink? I
    used to carry one in my backpack when bushwalking in the mountains of New
    Zealand, giving it a real workout, but never had a problem (opening it was
    sometimes interesting though!)

    It sounds like the can was faulty, so a letter to the Coke distributors
    might result in at least a free slab of drinks!

    > On the other hand, if you needed a good excuse to buy a new camera.....

    You need an excuse?

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jun 30, 2006
  17. bugbear

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Mojtaba" <> wrote

    > Conclusion:

    > Cock is unhealthy for:

    > - Human beings
    > - Digital cameras

    Now *that's* a typo!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jun 30, 2006
  18. bugbear

    Lobby Dosser Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote:

    > bugbear wrote:
    >> The camera (Canon A510) has served me faithfully and well:
    >> http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images/categories.php?cat_id=177
    >> http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/bugbear33/
    >>
    >> but yesterday I loaded up a backpack
    >> for a pleasant day at a country fair.
    >>
    >> Gadgets, camera, Nikon binoculars, can of coke,
    >> wallet, sub glasses.
    >>
    >> After about an hour my back felt...cold.
    >> 5 Minutes later my back felt ... wet.
    >>
    >> Checking the backpack revealed that the can
    >> of coke had split, presumably due to
    >> my body movements shaking it, and the high-ish
    >> temperature.
    >>
    >> Coke is messy, acidic, sugary stuff.
    >>
    >> I no longer own a (working) camera.
    >>
    >> BugBear

    > As was said, dunk it in fresh water, you may even try distilled water.
    > Change the water a few times. Remember to remove the batteries. With
    > metal cameras you waould dry them in a toater oven at 200 degrees F,
    > with a plastic camera see if you can keep a temp of 120 F or so. Don't
    > take the camera out of the water until you have someplace warm for it.
    > Try to drain as much water as possible from the unit, then dry for
    > several hours. Can't hurt, I always keep the camera separate from food
    > when hiking or camping just for that reason, a small belt pack would
    > be good for that camera.
    > Sounds like you didn't have problems with the camera, but with the can
    > of Coke.
    >
    > Tom

    This is a bit odd, but I can report exceptional results from the water
    treatment with parrot toys. Yes, parrot toys, AKA children's electronic
    toys such as phones and musical games. All of them have PC boards and are
    battery operated. Parrots are fairly messy and tend to get the toys
    gummed up with food and 'other' debris. I take the toy out of the cage,
    remove the batteries, wash it with soap and warm water, rinse completely,
    shake out excess water and allow to dry in a sunny window until it works
    again. Been doing this for almost ten years. Some of these toys have been
    getting this treatment several times a year for several years and I've
    yet to have one fail. I use plain tap water.

    Lobby Dosser, Jun 30, 2006
  19. bugbear

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul Bartram wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> wrote
    >
    >> Well, I hate to say this, but next time, don't put beverages in your
    >> backpack with electronic, or optical equipment. Doing that wasn't the
    >> best illustration of intelligence, now was it?

    > To be fair, when was the last time you saw a leaking can of soft drink? I
    > used to carry one in my backpack when bushwalking in the mountains of New
    > Zealand, giving it a real workout, but never had a problem (opening it was
    > sometimes interesting though!)
    >
    > It sounds like the can was faulty, so a letter to the Coke distributors
    > might result in at least a free slab of drinks!
    >
    >> On the other hand, if you needed a good excuse to buy a new camera.....

    > You need an excuse?
    >
    > Paul

    Yes, such things have to go through the business manager, otherwise
    known as 'spouse'. Grin.
    As for the leaking can of softdrink, pretty frequently. I have even
    bought 12 packs that had one or two that had leaked in shipment. Those
    cans are REALLY thin, and vibration during transport can leave weak
    spots that don't need much encouragement to lead to a puncture.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 30, 2006
  20. Lobby Dosser <> wrote:

    : This is a bit odd, but I can report exceptional results from the water
    : treatment with parrot toys. Yes, parrot toys, AKA children's electronic
    : toys such as phones and musical games. All of them have PC boards and are
    : battery operated. Parrots are fairly messy and tend to get the toys
    : gummed up with food and 'other' debris. I take the toy out of the cage,
    : remove the batteries, wash it with soap and warm water, rinse completely,
    : shake out excess water and allow to dry in a sunny window until it works
    : again. Been doing this for almost ten years. Some of these toys have been
    : getting this treatment several times a year for several years and I've
    : yet to have one fail. I use plain tap water.

    One proviso. Some cameras with built in flashes that flash automatically
    when needed (no warm up before use) keep the flash charged any time the
    camera is turned on. So even with the batteries removed there is a large
    charged capacitor sitting there waiting to flash the flash. If this charge
    gets shorted where it shouldn't (like when the camera gets wet) it could
    do major damage. So, if you have a camera with a "pop-up flash", it is a
    good idea to remove the batteries and wait at least a day before trying
    the water wash to give the charge time to leak away. I had one camera die
    from a sudden rain storm even tho the camera was under my shirt. It only
    took a couple of drops of water to get through the heavy fabric to kill
    it dead. From the burn marks across the circuit board it looks like that
    was what happened. Just a drop of water and stored lightning turns a nice
    camera into an expensive paperweight.

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL