    prevent the rumble?
    Best regards,
    Dima
    D, Oct 15, 2007

  2. "D" wrote ...
    > A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from
    > microphone. Windows XP SP2.

    In common use, "rumble" applies to low frequency *random noise*
    such as from an air duct or a subway train or from a distant highway.

    If you are hearing interference from your power mains (presumably
    50Hz if you are posting from Russia), that is called "hum" and it is a
    very *constant* tone.

    We will assume that you mean that you are hearing interference
    from power-line hum. If it is *rumble*, then it is acoustic and you
    should be able to hear it with your ears, no headset, no computer.

    > I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
    > I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
    > find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
    > live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
    > Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
    > the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
    > prevent the rumble?

    Does it hum when no headset is plugged in?
    If so, then there is a problem with the computer or sound card.
    If no, then *both* of your headsets have a problem

    Does the hum change when you move the headset around
    the room?

    Does it hum when you try using a differen computer mic?

    rcrowley posting from rec.audio.pro
    Richard Crowley, Oct 15, 2007

  3. On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:34:04 -0700, D <> wrote:

    >Hello!
    >A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
    >Windows XP SP2.
    >I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
    >I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
    >find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
    >live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
    >Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
    >the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
    >prevent the rumble?

    Is "rumble" a precise term or are we chasing a mains hum?
    Laurence Payne, Oct 16, 2007
  4. D

    thanatoid Guest

    D <> wrote in

    > Hello!
    > A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from
    > microphone. Windows XP SP2.
    > I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble
    > decreases if I touch the computer case.

    IMO, this undoubtedly means you have a ground problem. As if
    "about 50 Hz" was not enough of a tipoff. It's always 50 or 60.

    But it MAY just be a totally crappy microphone. Try another one,
    preferably a good one.

    If it's NOT the microphone, I am not a technician so I can't
    tell you how to fix it, but first thing you should do is check
    that everything to do with you system is plugged into the SAME
    AC circuit, preferably same outlet with power bar(s), and then
    you can buy or borrow (or steal I suppose) a little gizmo which
    you plug into the wall outlet and it tells you if everything's
    OK. Other than that, ask a technician.

    > I checked the
    > inside of the case, did not find any improper contacts. The
    > sound card is Creative sound blaster live ct4830. I tried
    > the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The Creative
    > driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
    > the same time, but only from a recording from the
    > microphone.

    That si impossible. Check your mixer volumes, mutes etc.
    Watch out for feedback, it can be VERY unpleasant, but no sound
    card manufacturer will disable mic to speakers direct just
    because of that.

    --
    Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but Vista
    on any computer in the world.
    thanatoid, Oct 16, 2007
  5. D

    kráftéé Guest

    D wrote:
    > Hello!
    > A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
    > Windows XP SP2.
    > I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases
    > if I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did
    > not find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound
    > blaster live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative
    > drivers. The Creative driver does not output sound from microphone
    > to speakers at the same time, but only from a recording from the
    > microphone. How to prevent the rumble?
    > Best regards,
    > Dima

    What are you recording, I know you state form a microphone, but are
    you plugging in something else into the microphone socket? If so that
    would be the problem try plugging it into the line in socket.

    If it is a microphone then make sure that it is being fully pushed
    home, if it is then try another one (they aren't exactly expesinve).

    Others have mentioned ground loops etc, but try the easy bit (normally
    the cheapest bits) first.

    As a matter of fact I get a continual low level 50hz hum from my line
    in post unless I actually plug something into it then it dissapears,
    so you could also try turning off all ports you are not using before
    doing your recording.
    kráftéé, Oct 16, 2007
  6. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 16, 1:45 am, "Richard Crowley" <> wrote:
    > "D" wrote ...
    >
    > > A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from
    > > microphone. Windows XP SP2.

    > In common use, "rumble" applies to low frequency *random noise*
    > such as from an air duct or a subway train or from a distant highway.
    >
    > If you are hearing interference from your power mains (presumably
    > 50Hz if you are posting from Russia), that is called "hum" and it is a
    > very *constant* tone.
    >
    > We will assume that you mean that you are hearing interference
    > from power-line hum. If it is *rumble*, then it is acoustic and you
    > should be able to hear it with your ears, no headset, no computer.
    >
    > > I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
    > > I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
    > > find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
    > > live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
    > > Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
    > > the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
    > > prevent the rumble?

    > Does it hum when no headset is plugged in?
    > If so, then there is a problem with the computer or sound card.
    > If no, then *both* of your headsets have a problem
    >
    > Does the hum change when you move the headset around
    > the room?
    >
    > Does it hum when you try using a differen computer mic?
    >
    > rcrowley posting from rec.audio.pro

    Thanks Richard Crowley for your explanations!
    It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.
    One of the headsets is brand new and checked.
    Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
    further from the computer case the louder.
    Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.
    D, Oct 16, 2007
  7. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 16, 3:34 am, Laurence Payne <NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:34:04 -0700, D <> wrote:
    > >Hello!
    > >A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
    > >Windows XP SP2.
    > >I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
    > >I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
    > >find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
    > >live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
    > >Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
    > >the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
    > >prevent the rumble?

    > Is "rumble" a precise term or are we chasing a mains hum?

    Yes, we are chasing a mains hum.
    D, Oct 16, 2007
  8. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 16, 11:08 am, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > D <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > Hello!
    > > A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from
    > > microphone. Windows XP SP2.
    > > I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble
    > > decreases if I touch the computer case.

    > IMO, this undoubtedly means you have a ground problem. As if
    > "about 50 Hz" was not enough of a tipoff. It's always 50 or 60.
    >
    > But it MAY just be a totally crappy microphone. Try another one,
    > preferably a good one.
    >
    > If it's NOT the microphone, I am not a technician so I can't
    > tell you how to fix it, but first thing you should do is check
    > that everything to do with you system is plugged into the SAME
    > AC circuit, preferably same outlet with power bar(s), and then
    > you can buy or borrow (or steal I suppose) a little gizmo which
    > you plug into the wall outlet and it tells you if everything's
    > OK. Other than that, ask a technician.
    >
    > > I checked the
    > > inside of the case, did not find any improper contacts. The
    > > sound card is Creative sound blaster live ct4830. I tried
    > > the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The Creative
    > > driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
    > > the same time, but only from a recording from the
    > > microphone.

    > That si impossible. Check your mixer volumes, mutes etc.
    > Watch out for feedback, it can be VERY unpleasant, but no sound
    > card manufacturer will disable mic to speakers direct just
    > because of that.
    >
    > > How to prevent the rumble?
    > > Best regards,
    > > Dima

    > --
    > Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but Vista
    > on any computer in the world.

    Thanks thanatoid for your suggestions!
    I checked my mixer volumes, mutes etc. and did not find anything
    wrong. I uninstalled the Creative driver.
    D, Oct 16, 2007
  9. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 16, 2:06 pm, "kráftéé" <kraftee@b&e-cottee.me.uk> wrote:
    > D wrote:
    > > Hello!
    > > A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
    > > Windows XP SP2.
    > > I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases
    > > if I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did
    > > not find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound
    > > blaster live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative
    > > drivers. The Creative driver does not output sound from microphone
    > > to speakers at the same time, but only from a recording from the
    > > microphone. How to prevent the rumble?
    > > Best regards,
    > > Dima

    > What are you recording, I know you state form a microphone, but are
    > you plugging in something else into the microphone socket? If so that
    > would be the problem try plugging it into the line in socket.
    >
    > If it is a microphone then make sure that it is being fully pushed
    > home, if it is then try another one (they aren't exactly expesinve).
    >
    > Others have mentioned ground loops etc, but try the easy bit (normally
    > the cheapest bits) first.
    >
    > As a matter of fact I get a continual low level 50hz hum from my line
    > in post unless I actually plug something into it then it dissapears,
    > so you could also try turning off all ports you are not using before
    > doing your recording.

    Thanks kráftéé for your suggestions!
    I checked with brand new headset - the same.
    D, Oct 16, 2007
  10. "D" wrote ...
    > It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

    Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
    the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

    > One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

    What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
    OK on another computer?

    > Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
    > further from the computer case the louder.

    I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

    > Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

    The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
    show the same symptoms.
    Richard Crowley, Oct 16, 2007
  11. D

    thanatoid Guest

    D <> wrote in

    > Thanks kráftéé for your suggestions!
    > I checked with brand new headset - the same.

    Sounds like it's not the mic, but you may have a short of some
    kind or ground loop in your headphone connection. If the
    headphone connection is at the front of your machine, a
    technician has to check it.

    If it's a jack on the soundcard, you can remove the sound card
    and take it to a technician without having to take the whole
    computer over there.

    thanatoid, Oct 16, 2007
  12. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" <> wrote:
    > "D" wrote ...
    >
    > > It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

    > Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
    > the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.
    >
    > > One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

    > What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
    > OK on another computer?
    >
    > > Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
    > > further from the computer case the louder.

    > I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.
    >
    > > Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

    > The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
    > show the same symptoms.

    Theanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
    The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
    headsets work OK on another computer.
    D, Oct 17, 2007
  13. D

    D Guest

    D, Oct 17, 2007
  14. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" <> wrote:
    > "D" wrote ...
    >
    > > It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

    > Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
    > the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.
    >
    > > One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

    > What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
    > OK on another computer?
    >
    > > Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
    > > further from the computer case the louder.

    > I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.
    >
    > > Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

    > The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
    > show the same symptoms.

    Thanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
    The hum is from speakers, not from the case.
    Yes, either of the headsets work OK on another computer.
    D, Oct 17, 2007
  15. D

    Bob I Guest

    Re: A background rumble appears in a sound from microphone in Soundblaster Live.

    The problem is likely caused by the combination of "speakers" being
    disconnected by the insertion of the head phones AND the volume knob of
    the speakers being cranked up rather high. Now the speakers are
    amplifying the hum of the little power wart.

    Bob I, Oct 17, 2007
  16. D

    D, Oct 17, 2007
  17. "D" wrote ...
    > The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
    > headsets work OK on another computer.

    Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
    Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
    the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
    may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
    into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
    hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
    headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
    suspicion back on the sound card.
    Richard Crowley, Oct 17, 2007
  18. On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:15:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
    <> wrote:

    >"D" wrote ...
    >> The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
    >> headsets work OK on another computer.

    >Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
    >Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
    >the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
    >may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
    >into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
    >hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
    >headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
    >suspicion back on the sound card.

    Perhaps the sound card just has the problem that it's a Soundblaster
    Live! and you're using the mic input. A SB's Line in/out is
    acceptable quality but the mic input is a joke.
    Laurence Payne, Oct 18, 2007
  19. D

    thanatoid Guest

    D <> wrote in

    > On Oct 17, 1:55 am, thanatoid <>
    > wrote:
    >> D <> wrote
    >> innews:

    > oups.com:
    >>
    >> > Thanks kráftéé for your suggestions!
    >> > I checked with brand new headset - the same.

    >> Sounds like it's not the mic, but you may have a short of
    >> some kind or ground loop in your headphone connection. If
    >> the headphone connection is at the front of your machine,
    >> a technician has to check it.
    >>
    >> If it's a jack on the soundcard, you can remove the sound
    >> card and take it to a technician without having to take
    >> the whole computer over there.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but
    >> Vista on any computer in the world.

    > Thanks thanatoid for your suggestions!

    You're welcome and good luck. Check if a new sound card isn't
    cheaper than fixing yours!
    Creative is basically OK and ultra-compatible although
    perfectionists complain about the sound/specs.
    M-Audio if you're a musician or have very good ears.
    Turtle Beach is pretty good too if you can find one.

    thanatoid, Oct 18, 2007
  20. D

    D Guest

    On Oct 17, 10:13 pm, Bob I <> wrote:
    > The problem is likely caused by the combination of "speakers" being
    > disconnected by the insertion of the head phones AND the volume knob of
    > the speakers being cranked up rather high. Now the speakers are
    > amplifying the hum of the little power wart.
    >

    > D wrote:
    > > On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" <> wrote:

    > >>"D" wrote ...

    > >>Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
    > >>the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

    > >>What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
    > >>OK on another computer?

    > >>I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

    > >>The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
    > >>show the same symptoms.

    > > Thanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
    > > The hum is from speakers, not from the case.
    > > Yes, either of the headsets work OK on another computer.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Bob I for your explanation!
    How can the speakers amplify the hum of the little power wart if they
    are disconnected by the insertion of the head phones?
    A Sony ECM-T6 microphone and another desk-top microphone don't hum! A
    new Koss sb/45 headset and Philips SBC HM300 headset hum from their
    microphones.
    How to make Koss sb/45 headset microphone work?
    Best regards,
    Dima
    D, Oct 18, 2007