    info. on the CompTIA website either.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks!

    Me, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Me wrote:
    > Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
    > attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the certification?

    There is *no* good reason to do so. Explain to your boss that A+ is an
    *entry level* certification. You don't need to recertify that you have
    entry level qualifications.

    That would be like having to pass 4th grade final exams *again* before
    you could take the 5th grade final exams. Or having to completely retake
    the automobile driving exam if you are going for a Commercial Drivers
    License (CDL). Some things just naturally build on top of previous
    things. A+ is one of them.

    > I passed A+ (both tests, 1st attempt) in November 2003. I've also passed
    > Server+ and some other OEM certifications since then as well. Now add 10+
    > years "computer tech" experience.

    You're obviously more than qualified. Engage you boss in a little
    enlightenment session and explain the CompTIA certification process in a
    little more depth to him. Explain to him that A+ is a entry-level,
    starter certification, along with Network+ and Server+, that provides
    you with a solid foundation to layer additional certifications upon, and
    thet's exactly what you have already done with your OEM certifications.

    Make sure he understands that CompTIA isn't like Microsoft, there is no
    "certification treadmill" with them.

    I'm sure if you look around a bit on the CompTIA website, you'll find
    more information to back this up.

    Good luck!!

    John
    --
    John P. Dearing
    A+, Network+, Server+

    John P. Dearing, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks for responding. He certainly doesn't understand the CompTIA certs at
    all. He has said he wants me to "retake my certification" because others
    need it and it wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't have to study. Yet, he
    wants me to lead training classes. Sorry..a little "boss venting" there...

    Me, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Me

    Pat Guest

    Me wrote:
    > Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
    > attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the certification?
    >
    > I passed A+ (both tests, 1st attempt) in November 2003. I've also passed
    > Server+ and some other OEM certifications since then as well. Now add 10+
    > years "computer tech" experience.
    >
    > I know A+ doesn't expire, but I can't see one good logical reason, other
    > than the above mentioned one, that I need to test again. I can't find much
    > info. on the CompTIA website either.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Not unless somebody else is paying for it and you're intelligent enough
    to pass it without doing any studying. Otherwise, it's a waste of time
    and money, IMHO. It's not like a Microsoft cert where you list it as
    "MCSE in Windows 2000" or "MCSA in Windows XP." An A+ certification is
    an A+ certification, no matter what year you got it in.

    I'd spend your money and time on another certification. I learned more
    in a month of my first IT job than I ever did studying for the A+. 10
    years experience is far and above better then retesting on an exam you
    already passed.

    Pat, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Me

    JohnO Guest

    > he wants me to "retake my certification" because others
    > need it and it wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't have to study.

    Let me guess...he's got pointy hair? (i.e. Dilbert's boss??)

    If you're doing the job of a computer tech now, you ARE studying. And if you
    really have that sort of experience, and he's paying for it, just go take
    the exam now. For you it should be VERY easy, especially if you know how to
    wrangle a multiple-choice exam.

    You only need to get 50 out of 80, and IME there are *lots* of easy
    questions.

    -John O

    JohnO, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Me

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:50:22 -0500, "Me" <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for responding. He certainly doesn't understand the CompTIA certs at
    >all. He has said he wants me to "retake my certification" because others
    >need it and it wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't have to study. Yet, he
    >wants me to lead training classes.

    Well, in that case it does make sense.
    It'll teach you the kind of questions your mates are going to
    meet.

    And since you allready are qualified, you will likely hit a high
    score. Which gives you quite an insight into the right answers.
    (Score 100% and you will be sure which of the answers where
    correct :)

    >"John P. Dearing" <> wrote in message
    >> Me wrote:
    >> > Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
    >> > attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the

    >certification?

    I'm not sure about the current Comptia rules but I recall a few
    years back, that a qualified person was not allowed to retake a
    test for a year. (For fear of question-leaking, I was told then.)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Me

    Jim Guest

    (Gerard Bok) wrote in news:42f2a494.2837406
    @News.Individual.NET:

    > I'm not sure about the current Comptia rules but I recall a few
    > years back, that a qualified person was not allowed to retake a
    > test for a year.

    Still the case (as of last week).

    Jim

    Jim, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Me

    JohnO Guest

    > I'm not sure about the current Comptia rules but I recall a few
    > years back, that a qualified person was not allowed to retake a
    > test for a year. (For fear of question-leaking, I was told then.)

    If the test us updated or you fail, you can take it sooner. Otherwise, you
    are 100% correct.

    -John O

    JohnO, Aug 6, 2005
  9. Me

    Guest

    What do you mean by "New Objectives"? I thought the current test, 2003,
    is the most recent. Is there a new exam?

    Thanks

    , Aug 10, 2005