    substitution. While I'll no doubt fail to qualify for any number of other
    reasons, if the A+ is easy enough, I'll take the tests so I can at least
    apply and let good intentions and shiny shoes do the rest.
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Consultant Guest

    don't waste your time

    "Vigo Breadcrumbs" <> wrote in message
    news:zpzec.14796$...
    > Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE? (In this
    > case, "you" refers to those who built up a nontrivial number of years of
    > work experience before the MCP or MCSE, not braindumpers or paperpeople.)
    > If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've devoted a measurable
    > fraction of your life to assembling systems and installting and

    configuring

    Consultant, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Vigo Breadcrumbs wrote:
    > Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE?

    I would have gotten it, except that I could only afford the books, not the
    actual exam. From the practise tests I've taken (from the book and
    elsewhere) I'm pretty sure I could pass the exam with my eyes closed.

    I'm still smarting from that one-year Brainbench subscription I bought a
    couple of years ago. SWAMBO (notice the "A", googling DW) still brings it
    up when she's angry with me, which is most of the time.

    --
    Fris "I'm going to get in trouble for this post" beeĀ®

    Certaholics
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Jtyc Guest

    > If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've devoted a measurable
    > fraction of your life to assembling systems and installting and

    configuring
    > operating systems, did you find extra study really necessary?

    When I took the A+ it had a bunch of stuff on it that I would not have known
    had I not studied for it. Printer questions, Apple related and FRU
    questions. For your sake I hope they have updated the test somewhat.
    Jtyc, Apr 12, 2004
  5. "Jtyc" <jtyc_mcngp@spamblockerbitch!@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > When I took the A+ it had a bunch of stuff on it that I would not have
    > known had I not studied for it. Printer questions, Apple related and
    > FRU questions. For your sake I hope they have updated the test
    > somewhat.

    In looking at the revised 2003 objectives, there was nothing about either.
    The mere mention of FRUs brings back nauseating memories of the PS/2
    systems I once had to support.

    "Apple" is a kind of computer, right?
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 12, 2004
  6. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in

    > Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE? (In
    > this case, "you" refers to those who built up a nontrivial number of
    > years of work experience before the MCP or MCSE, not braindumpers or
    > paperpeople.) If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've
    > devoted a measurable fraction of your life to assembling systems and
    > installting and configuring operating systems, did you find extra
    > study really necessary?

    did mine back in 1996. big problem is the price for what you get. I read
    the manual (work had one) on a weekend and wrote the tests on Monday
    (there is 2 of them). No brainers. Hard part for most people is Hardware
    knowledge when they are software people. IRQ mapping and IFS (lasers) is
    about it though. pretty basic. then you have it for life.

    > While I write as one possessed of no contemporary certifications, my
    > early results on the Transcender practice tests haven't been the
    > soul-destroying adventures in failure I expected them to be. This
    > leads me to the perhaps falsely optimistic hope that my brain hasn't
    > totally turned to rancid cheese during my period of joblessness.

    possibly not falsely optimistic...

    > A local bank is looking for an "IS technician," and the position
    > requires an A+ cert, and they'll accept no combination of Microsoft
    > certs in substitution. While I'll no doubt fail to qualify for any
    > number of other reasons, if the A+ is easy enough, I'll take the tests
    > so I can at least apply and let good intentions and shiny shoes do the
    > rest.

    If you can't find anything else, oh, well. I think you can do better. It
    could be that this shop is looking to "self-service" thier own computers.
    you would then be doing warranty work on hardware.

    Will it get your foot in the door for something better or will you be
    stuck swapping hard drives for the rest of your life? If not maybe its
    not the job for you. But if you need to eat...

    I consider the A+ the very bottom rung of my certification ladder, but
    sup to you...

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  7. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    > When I took the A+ it had a bunch of stuff on it that I would not have
    > known had I not studied for it. Printer questions, Apple related and
    > FRU questions. For your sake I hope they have updated the test
    > somewhat.

    you took it back when I did. no Apple on the tests anymore. still laser
    tech, IRQs, goofy stuff like how much memory do you need for x amount of
    colours on on a 800x600 display. when I took it DOS/Win3.1 was the OS exam.
    now its 2000/XP.

    try here for the stuff now

    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/comptia/a-2003.asp

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  8. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in

    > In looking at the revised 2003 objectives, there was nothing about
    > either. The mere mention of FRUs brings back nauseating memories of
    > the PS/2 systems I once had to support.

    memories <sigh>

    > "Apple" is a kind of computer, right?

    actually a bad joke by Microsoft...(but they do run Linux now, IIRC)

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  9. Neil <> wrote in

    > If you can't find anything else, oh, well. I think you can do better.
    > It could be that this shop is looking to "self-service" thier own
    > computers. you would then be doing warranty work on hardware.

    In all likelihood, this bank now has enough local branches that having a
    dedicated support person will be cheaper than farming the work out. It's
    not what I want to do but there are serious financial concerns that aren't
    getting any better.

    > Will it get your foot in the door for something better or will you be
    > stuck swapping hard drives for the rest of your life? If not maybe its
    > not the job for you. But if you need to eat...

    I'm certain most of the IT work comparable to what I've done and what I
    want to do is done in their regional office, 200 miles away. From what I
    know of the company, they're aggressive on promoting from within. However,
    it's in a city to which I have absolutely no desire to move. I would treat
    it strictly as pay-the-rent work.

    > I consider the A+ the very bottom rung of my certification ladder, but
    > sup to you...

    It's what I figured. Just looking for informed opinion.
    The Viscount Cheapside, Apr 12, 2004
  10. Neil <> wrote in

    > Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in
    >
    >> In looking at the revised 2003 objectives, there was nothing about
    >> either. The mere mention of FRUs brings back nauseating memories of
    >> the PS/2 systems I once had to support.
    >>

    > memories <sigh>

    Right out of college, I worked for the local county government. They'd
    just bought (if I remember correctly) a boatload of PS/2 model 50s.
    Nothing was networked in those days, so I suppose that was a choice no
    better or worse than anything else. What was bad was when they first
    decided to wire everything up in 1995. Since the two network "techs"
    and their titular supervisor (who would later get me fired, but that'z
    another story) were used to wood-burning computers, they strung thin
    coax everywhere. As such, the county had to buy frighteningly expensive
    microchannel 10 base 2 cards in bulk. In true IBM fashion, they only
    had the BNC connectors and no RJ45, and were thus immediately obsolete.

    Lest anyone think I'm being too hard on these guys, this was the same
    crew that, despite having a very expensive and high-quality cable
    stripper, used the wrong insert in the head and thus stripped too much
    of the outer insulation on hundreds of connections. The BNC connectors
    were this crimped, or, rather, "crimped," on the braided shield. The
    mere act of bumping your desk too hard could cause a connector to fall
    off and take a segment with fifty or sixty people off line.

    I really need to write a book.
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 12, 2004
  11. The Viscount Cheapside <> wrote in

    Whoops. Picked the wrong identity in XNews. I guess my cover is blown.
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 12, 2004
  12. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    LnkWizard Guest

    > Have any of you opted to get an A+ cert after an MCP or MCSE? (In this
    > case, "you" refers to those who built up a nontrivial number of years of
    > work experience before the MCP or MCSE, not braindumpers or paperpeople.)
    > If so, did you find it an easy exercise? If you've devoted a measurable
    > fraction of your life to assembling systems and installting and

    configuring
    > operating systems, did you find extra study really necessary?

    I used the A+ and Network+ as electives for my MCSA since I had the
    experience
    as a tech support weinie and somebody else was paying for the tests.

    <snip>

    > A local bank is looking for an "IS technician," and the position requires
    > an A+ cert, and they'll accept no combination of Microsoft certs in
    > substitution. While I'll no doubt fail to qualify for any number of other
    > reasons, if the A+ is easy enough, I'll take the tests so I can at least
    > apply and let good intentions and shiny shoes do the rest.

    It also sounds to me like they are looking for someone to self-service
    their PC's but as was said. At the current time if this is what feeds,
    and houses you, then go for it. I would suggest being careful about
    mentioning the other certs as some HR folks get skittish about
    over qualified techs or if they already have a sysadmin he will
    blame you for every little hiccup in the network.
    LnkWizard, Apr 12, 2004
  13. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in news:UIAec.418866
    $:

    > Neil <> wrote in
    >
    >> Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in

    <snipage>

    > Right out of college, I worked for the local county government. They'd
    > just bought (if I remember correctly) a boatload of PS/2 model 50s.
    > Nothing was networked in those days, so I suppose that was a choice no
    > better or worse than anything else.

    no really, there was worse. Model 25s...

    > What was bad was when they first
    > decided to wire everything up in 1995. Since the two network "techs"
    > and their titular supervisor (who would later get me fired, but that'z
    > another story) were used to wood-burning computers, they strung thin
    > coax everywhere. As such, the county had to buy frighteningly
    > expensive
    > microchannel 10 base 2 cards in bulk. In true IBM fashion, they only
    > had the BNC connectors and no RJ45, and were thus immediately obsolete.

    realistically the 10B2 cards woth BNC was not bad. You could have
    purchased adapters that would convert them. And you could have been
    stiffed with ArcNet...

    > Lest anyone think I'm being too hard on these guys, this was the same
    > crew that, despite having a very expensive and high-quality cable
    > stripper, used the wrong insert in the head and thus stripped too much
    > of the outer insulation on hundreds of connections. The BNC connectors
    > were this crimped, or, rather, "crimped," on the braided shield. The
    > mere act of bumping your desk too hard could cause a connector to fall
    > off and take a segment with fifty or sixty people off line.
    >
    > I really need to write a book.

    We all could. stick around long enough in this industry and you get them
    all. I still get giggles from teh guy who walked into our office (reapir
    shop) in the late 80/early 90s and asked "how much does data wiegh?"

    "huh" we reply. sice he first got the thing and started adding and
    removing data the thing has been slowing down. so the wieght of the data
    on the HD must be cuasing it to not spin as fast...riiiiiiiiiight

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  14. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    The Viscount Cheapside <> wrote in news:rxAec.418865
    $:

    > Just looking for informed opinion.

    WRONG PLACE! all of my opinions are completely uniformed...

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  15. Neil <> wrote in

    > realistically the 10B2 cards woth BNC was not bad. You could have
    > purchased adapters that would convert them. And you could have been
    > stiffed with ArcNet...

    Now that you mention it, I remember they had AUI ports as well, and I think
    they did end up getting some snap on adapters. Those were still something
    like $100 a piece at the time, and of course any number of them got
    destroyed by people jamming their computers up against the wall without
    looking as to why they were placed away from the wall in the first place.
    Of couse, there was nothing to be done for that revolutionary MCA edge
    connector...
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 12, 2004
  16. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    Vigo Breadcrumbs <> wrote in news:fdBec.418868
    $:

    > Of couse, there was nothing to be done for that revolutionary MCA edge
    > connector...

    yes there was...called a sledge hammer...very relaxing too

    --
    Neil
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  17. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    Neil opined, On 4/12/04 11:26 AM:

    > The Viscount Cheapside <> wrote in news:rxAec.418865
    > $:
    >

    >>Just looking for informed opinion.

    > WRONG PLACE! all of my opinions are completely uniformed...

    What sort of uniform?

    JaR
    Military Thug
    JaR, Apr 12, 2004
  18. Neil <> wrote in

    > WRONG PLACE! all of my opinions are completely uniformed...

    You try to confuse!
    Vigo Breadcrumbs, Apr 12, 2004
  19. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    Neil Guest

    JaR <> wrote in

    > Neil opined, On 4/12/04 11:26 AM:
    >
    >> The Viscount Cheapside <> wrote in
    >> news:rxAec.418865 $:
    >>

    >>>Just looking for informed opinion.

    >> WRONG PLACE! all of my opinions are completely uniformed...
    >>

    > What sort of uniform?
    >
    > JaR
    > Military Thug

    nice of you to torture me on my spelling again. but then again...HOW'S
    WORK! <grin>

    --
    Neil (sitting at home, watching TV)
    Neil, Apr 12, 2004
  20. Vigo Breadcrumbs

    JaR Guest

    Neil opined, On 4/12/04 11:37 AM:

    >>Military Thug
    >>

    > nice of you to torture me on my spelling again. but then again...HOW'S
    > WORK! <grin>

    Bastard!

    JaR
    Workin' Thug